Author Topic: Graham's of Cumberland  (Read 100150 times)

Offline Papamoa

• RootsChat Extra
  • Sharing is the fastest way to progress genealogy.
    • View Profile
Graham's of Cumberland
« on: Saturday 20 January 07 22:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everyone,  I have just joined this forum and would like to ask if any of you are researching the Graham family of Cumberland?  Particularly from Arthuret, Kirklinton, Carlisle & Dalston.  I am happy to share my research with anyone.

Regards, from New Zealand
Graham's of Cumberland & New Zealand
Glass's of Aberdeenshire & New Zealand

Offline kena

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Graham's of Cumberland
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 January 07 14:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Papamoa, I have a Graham from Arthuret kind of area but quite far back, Margaret Grame born 1692, married William Ferguson, would be very grateful for any help you are able to give me though. By the way, welcome to Rootschat.

Thanks

Anna
Mullon, Fowell, Thornely, Wilding, Lowndes,Gallimore - Cheshire
Routledge, Bell, Gillesby, Armstrong, Forster, Ewart, Nixon, Kennedy,Reay,Wright,Nattrass,Little,Richardson - Cumberland
Winsborough, Hannabus, Copp, Salter, Bray, Williams, Bonney, Creedy, Matthews, Kelner - Devon
Minto, - Durham
Allaker, Fitch,Groom,Queary - Essex
Steeple, Moult, Woodcock - Lancashire
Trafford, Hambleton, Cordon, Sweetman, Goldstraw, Brough, Barton, Dawson, Sutton, Stevenson - Staffordshire
Huess - Somerset

Offline GalaxyJane

• RootsChat Senior
  • His Mistress' Voice...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 21 January 07 15:12 GMT (UK) »
Hello Papamoa,
            Welcome to Rootschat from me too.
    I am researching a Graham family from Kirklinton --in my direct line, a Jane Graham, born in Kirklinton in 1804, married William Angus born Blackwell, Carlisle in 1809
They married at St Cuthbert's church Carlisle on 9th July 1831.
        Jane's parents were John Graham and Ann Scott who married at Kirklinton in 1796.
     Their other children and their DOBs were
           Dinah    1800
           Richard 1802
           Ann      1806
          William  1810
   I hope this sounds familiar, as there are so many Grahams and I am lost among them!
                        Regards
                                    Jane
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Papamoa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 21 January 07 17:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Anna & Jane,

Neither of your families appear to have connections to mine, but I shall have a look through my research notes and see if I can find anything that may help either of you.  I agree, the number of Graham's in the area make it difficult to research but still a lot of fun.

I shall be back to you both soon.

Regards, Bruce
New Zealand

Offline kena

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 21 January 07 17:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bruce, Thanks very much for that, look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks again

Anna
Routledge, Bell, Gillesby, Armstrong, Forster, Ewart, Nixon, Kennedy,Reay,Wright,Nattrass,Little,Richardson - Cumberland
Winsborough, Hannabus, Copp, Salter, Bray, Williams, Bonney, Creedy, Matthews, Kelner - Devon
Minto, - Durham
Trafford, Hambleton, Cordon, Sweetman, Goldstraw, Brough, Barton, Dawson, Sutton, Stevenson - Staffordshire
Huess - Somerset

Offline Papamoa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 21 January 07 20:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jane & Anna,

Jane

I have had a quick look at some of my data and found the following three christenings which may or may not be additional to your family of John and Ann.

EDWARD, christened 21st June, 1813 at Sunnyside, Kirklinton
SARAH, christened 25th January, 1816 at Sunnyside, Kirklinton
ROBERT, christened 6th June, 1819 at Uppertown, Kirklinton.

I have a fairly extensive extraction of Graham's from the Bishops Transcripts for Arthuret and Kirklinton and these are the only names I have found that may fit with your family, 

Anna,

I haven't found anything on your query, can you provide me with more information from more recent events?

Best regards, Bruce

Offline Subaru

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Whitehaven harbour
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 21 January 07 22:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bruce

I have a William Graham, b1801 in Carlisle.  He was married more than once.  The last 'wife' I have for him is Mary (who was also married before - so I don't have her maiden name) Tomlinson.  They had a son, John Graham b1836 at Whitehaven, Cumberland.  Mary had two daughters, Ann and Margaret to her previous husband. 

I don't know if William had any other children before he married Mary.  He was a coal miner, living on Quay Street, Whitehaven. He was also an inn-keeper, living at the Union Inn.  John was born at Preston Quarter, Whitehaven.

John married Ann Morgan in 1858 at Whitehaven.  They had John b1861, George b1865, James b1866, Elizabeth b1869 by 1871.  I'm still researching the rest of the years and family.  There are so many Grahams at that time though, it's quite complicated.

Does any of this ring any bells?

Rosemary

Offline Papamoa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 21 January 07 23:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rosemary,

I can't find anything in my records for your William born c.1801 in Carlisle and I haven't done any research in the Whitehaven area.  Unfortunately I can't help you but will keep your info on record in case I find anything later that may assist you.

Best regards, Bruce

Offline kena

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 22 January 07 13:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bruce, unfortunately I don't have any more recent Graham's than this (in England anyway, some in Gretna in the 1700's on a different line) but can send you a copy of my link to these Graham's from my familyhistory computer program if you like if you let me have your email address in a personal message please ( a bit less public than the forums).

Thanks

Anna
Minto, - Durham
Huess - Somerset