Author Topic: Marriage William COCK/Sabina TRELOAR c1828  (Read 5495 times)

Offline Dinkydidy

• RootsChat Senior
  • When I WAS dinky.
    • View Profile
Marriage William COCK/Sabina TRELOAR c1828
« on: Monday 22 January 07 10:05 GMT (UK) »
Can some kind person please help me find a marriage for this pair?

William Cock was christened 19 May 1805 at St Keverne.
Sabina Treloar was christened 28 Oct 1798 at Wendron.

The first of their children I could find was James, christened 31 May 1829 at Constantine, where they were living in the 1841 census.

Their marriage doesn't seem to be on the IGI and I don't know where to look next.

Didy

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage William Cock/Sabina Treloar c1828
« Reply #1 on: Monday 22 January 07 10:15 GMT (UK) »
William Cock m Bina Treloar 31/3/1825 in Sithney, witnesses Nicholas Pascoe and William Russell - William Russell at least was a parish witness, think he was the parish clerk. OPC might be able to supply more info.
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline Dinkydidy

• RootsChat Senior
  • When I WAS dinky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 22 January 07 10:21 GMT (UK) »
Wow, that was quick. What dazzling service! Many thanks,

Didy

Offline Roseamry

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 22 March 12 11:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dinky,
I am descended from William Cock's sister Ann born 1812. Can we swap some notes please ?
Regards
Ro

Offline croxia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage William COCK/Sabina TRELOAR c1828
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 22 March 12 15:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Didy and Ro.... assuming you don't already know of it; the website of the St. Keverne Local History Society is packed full of information and may be of interest to you.

Regards 
Croxia

Offline Roseamry

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 22 March 12 20:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi and Thanks - I definitely will get into that site.
 My burning question is to find out when and if he and his family came to Australia - a family member says he died in Bendigo, Victoria.
 Many thanks
Ro

Offline Dinkydidy

• RootsChat Senior
  • When I WAS dinky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 23 March 12 00:26 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Croxia. I will certainly spend some time on that site, as it looks very useful indeed.

Ro, I think my William's sister Ann was christened at St Keverne in 1807, unless that one died and there was a later one christened elsewhere.

Following on from that, are we talking about the same William Cock? I think mine remained in Cornwall, with his wife Bina/Sabina possibly dying at Falmouth in the March quarter of 1849. There is a William Cock whose condition is shown as 'W' on the census from 1861 to 1881 at Gwennap, with a Redruth district death in the March quarter of 1885 for a William Cock aged 80.

My direct ancestor was Thomas Cock, residing at Gwennap, son of William Cock, who married Eliza Smitheram in the Redruth Register Office 2 December 1854, shortly before sailing to South Australia, where I live.

William Cock was not an unusual name in Cornwall, with two christened in St Keverne in 1805 - William, son of Edward & Ann on 19 May, and William Joseph, son of William & Loveday, on 25 Nov.

I have assumed that my William is the earlier one, because I found a christening at Sithney, where William and Sabina were married in 1825, for an Edward Cock (named after his father?), son of William and Byna Cock, on 1 April 1827. I have also not come across either Joseph or Loveday amongst my family's names.

As far as the Australian connection goes, I have seen a William Cock, born Redruth 9 June 1805, married to Susanna Teague at Redruth 8 May 1830, who died at Burra, South Australia 20 April 1851. No doubt there may be others.

I notice you say"came to Australia". Are you also an Aussie?

Regards,

Didy

Offline Roseamry

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 23 March 12 01:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Didy,
Yes I am an Aussie too !!

My Ann Cock born 1812 married William Roberts in Cornwall  and they came to Australia aboard the ill-fated "William Money" voyage where Ann & a newborn died at sea, in 1848, less than two weeks before reaching Port Adelaide.

William Roberts ( my gr gr grandfather) & the four surviving children were in Bendigo by 1853, and by chance I found a post that Ann's older brother William Cock ( born 1805) was supposed to have died in 1885 - quote" Bendigo goldfields". This also has William Cock's wife as Sabina Treloar - married in 1828.
The Children of William & Mary Unknown Cock were
Ann 1800-1801
James 1802 - 1859
William 1805-1885
Elizabeth 1812-?
Ann 1812- 1848

This is some-one elses research so I am  trying to prove it.

regards Ro

Offline Dinkydidy

• RootsChat Senior
  • When I WAS dinky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 24 March 12 00:04 GMT (UK) »
Hello again Ro.

I am a bit confused. Are we definitely talking about the Cock family from St Keverne? Who are the "William & Mary Unknown Cock and where are they from? The children you have listed for them correspond pretty well with the children of Edward & Ann Cock of St Keverne.

Where was your Ann christened in 1812?

Edward & Ann Cock had an Ann christened in 1807 and an Elizabeth in 1812, but no other children recorded between or after those years in St Keverne.

Edward married Ann Saunders 26 June 1800 in St Keverne, but I don't know where he was from.

Regards

Didy