Author Topic: County Down - FRY/LONGMUIR/HUTCHESON/STIRRETT  (Read 4010 times)

Offline hennypenny

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
County Down - FRY/LONGMUIR/HUTCHESON/STIRRETT
« on: Tuesday 23 January 07 01:39 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone offer me any help in tracing my Irish ancestors?  From Scottish death and some military records, I have discovered:-

James FRY, born c.1800 - 1805 in TULLYLISH,  married Mary Ann STIRRETT (?) in DRUMSALAGH, Jun 1824, enlisted at TANDRAGEE (?) in 1825.

Jame's parents were Daniel FRY and Alice HUTCHESON.
Mary Ann's parents were George STIRRETT and Agnes LONGMUIR.

I would be grateful of any help e.g. what records are accessible and how can they be accessed.

Thank you.

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
Re: County Down - FRY/LONGMUIR/HUTCHESON/LONGMUIR
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 January 07 22:26 GMT (UK) »
My husband's line include Fry from Tullylish in the 1800's, but I think we may have corresponded before via another site (Genes possibly?) and although I was unable to find any links or help you further at the time, I would be happy to check back through my manual notes for you if you think it would be of help now... please let me know.

Did you notice that IGI have a Thomas Fry christened 17/8/1830 to a James Fry and Mary?
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 January 07 22:51 GMT (UK) »
Drumsualagh was a townland in the Paish of Aghaderg, in the Poor Law Union of Banbridge. This Multimap link lets you see that Tandragee was nearby. Then if you zoom in a bit, you can see the area of Tullylish. And if you pan around, Drumsallagh.

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 23 January 07 23:22 GMT (UK) »
In right timescale for you, the Freeholders Records of about 1813 -1821,  record a George Sterrett [stet] with an address of Drumsallagh and I suppose would tie in with the usual practice ( I think) of the marriage taking place in the bride's townland.

Offline hennypenny

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: County Down - FRY/LONGMUIR/HUTCHESON/STIRRETT
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 24 January 07 06:55 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Scotmum, The other site was possibly a Rootsweb Mailing List. I would certainly appreciate it if you could find anything more in your husband's line.  We visited Tullylish in 2003 and discovered a few Fry graves in the churchyard - some of them fairly recent - but there was no-one to ask about present day Fry families.  Perhaps I'll write to the present incumbent of the church.

The Thomas you mentioned is in the correct time frame but I have a copy of Jame's military record and his children are mentioned - even one who was born and died in 1844

I shall certainly access the multimap link.

Do you know if there is any way that I can access the Freeholders Records? 
My knowledge of Irish records is very limited.

Once again, Thank you

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 24 January 07 10:49 GMT (UK) »
I have checked back through my old emails and found one from February 2005 so assume you are E (first letter of your real name) in Australia. Hello again.  :)

You can search the Freeholders records at the PRONI website via this link by selecting search from the left hand column.

I do still feel there is a strong possibility that our respective lines were connected at some point, but so far records elude me. I have a manual note that I have considered the possibility of there having been a group of brothers in the Tullylish area around early 1800's including: a William, John, Samuel, James, Thomas and Daniel.

Offline hennypenny

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 24 January 07 11:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi there, yes, I'm the 'E' - I've just checked my email file.  It can be a long, slow process can't it.  I shall certainly access the PRONI website.  If I discover anything at all, I'll be in touch.  Is your email address still the same?

I'm off to bed now - shall check again in the morning.
Cheers.

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 24 January 07 21:40 GMT (UK) »
Yes, email addy still the same.  :)

Offline Nairda

• RootsChat Extra
  • its not the critic who counts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 29 August 09 01:34 BST (UK) »
I am currently researching the Walker family from Tullylish.  There is a Fry connection which I am researching.
A James Fry was baptised on 14/01/1838 at All Saints Parish Church of Ireland.  Father William Fry and mother Jane.  Her maiden name not given.  Address, Loughans.  Father's occupation given as Labourer.
Walker family Tullylish, Co Down and Terryhoogan. Co Armagh.  Conolly family Tullylish.  Bell family Rathfriland, Co Down