Author Topic: Adams (killed in mine)/ Woolley / Lewis  (Read 5824 times)

Offline apd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Adams (killed in mine)/ Woolley / Lewis
« on: Saturday 20 November 04 16:43 GMT (UK) »
My gggrandfather Henry John Adams was killed in the gas explosion at Risca New Colliery in 1880. Family history says his mangled body was found holding his bible, and that he was virtually the only man in his village able to read and write (but as I descend from a long line of Welsh women teachers, I take such literary pride with a pinch of salt - you forgot to dot your "i" again boy, so hold your hand out now is it!).

I have not been able to find his marriage to Elizabeth Woolley (their first child was born in 1861), and I am wondering - given the family legend about the bible - if he was perhaps non-conformist and that is why I cannot find his marriage. If anyone knows how to find non-conformist marriages I would be very grateful.

Also, Elizabeth Woolley's parents are proving very elusive, as is her life and death after Henry John Adams died in Risca mine. Her birth certificate (29.06.1838) shows her parents to be Edward Wo(o)lley and Martha Wo(o)lly nee Lewis, both of Montgomeryshire per the 1841 census below. The family is found in Newtown in the 1841 census below, but 10 years later the children are in the workhouse, possibly as orphans. Also in the workhouse are Martha and Edward Lewis, who I believe might potentially be the children's grandparents and the parents of Martha Woolley nee Lewis, but I have no proof of this.

The last trace I have of Elizabeth Adams nee Woolly is aged 42, a widow, in the 1881 census. I find no trace of her after that - perhaps she remarried, perhaps she died or emigrated.

If there is anyone out there also researching the Adams / Woolley / Lewis lines, I would be very grateful to hear from them.

Thanks,
Adrian

1841 Census                  
Reference Number:      Ref HO8107/1440/1 folio 39            
Address      Lady Well Street, Newtown, Montgomeryshire, Wales            
Name   First Names   Age   Relation   Occupation   Born:   
               CTY   Place
WOOLLEY   Edward   30   Head   Wool Weaver   Montg   
WOOLLEY   Martha (LEWIS)   25   Wife   Wool Spinner   Montg   
WOOLLEY   Elizabeth   3   Daur      Montg   
WOOLLEY   Martha    2or 0.2   Daur      Montg   

1851 Census                  
Reference Number:      Ref HO/107/2496 folio 421            
Address      Newtown and Llanidloes Workhouse            
Name   First Names   Age   Relation   Occupation   Born:   
               CTY   Place
LEWIS   Martha   70   Widow   Shoebinder   Montg   Llanllwchaiarn
LEWIS   Edward   65   unmarried   Spinner   Montg   Llandyssil
WOOLLEY   Elizabeth   13   Orphan?   Scholar      Newtown
WOOLLEY   Martha   11   Orphan?   Scholar      Newtown
WOOLLEY   Edward   8   Orphan?   Scholar      Newtown

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jump into your genes...and dig up your roots
    • View Profile
Re: Adams (killed in mine)/ Woolley / Lewis
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 06 January 05 10:29 GMT (UK) »
Adrian

This is a long shot (as I don't know his age)!!! but could this be Edward Woolley in Welshpool:

HODGKISS, John, h, m, 44, spinner of wool , MGY Berriew, Red Lion Entry, /f698/p6
HODGKISS, Sarah, w, m, 45, housekeeper, SAL Bishops Castle, Red Lion Entry, /f698/p6
HODGKISS, Martha, d, u, 18, wool weaver , MGY Welshpool, Red Lion Entry, /f698/p6
HODGKISS, Jane, d, u, 10, scholar, MGY Welshpool, Red Lion Entry, /f698/p6
HODGKISS, Sarah, d, u, 4, scholar, MGY Welshpool, Red Lion Entry, /f698/p6
HODGKISS, Jane, ni, u, 7, scholar, MGY Welshpool, Red Lion Entry, /f698/p6
HODGKISS, John, s, u, 20, wool weaver, MGY Welshpool, Red Lion Entry, /f698/p6
HODGKISS, Richard, s, u, 15, wool weaver, MGY Welshpool, Red Lion Entry, /f698/p6
HODGKISS, William, s, u, 3, scholar, MGY Welshpool, Red Lion Entry, /f698/p6
WOOLLEY, Edward, ld, m, 54, ag labourer, MGY Bettws, Red Lion Entry, /f698/p6
EVANS, Mary , ld, w, 65, , CAE, Red Lion Entry, /f698/p6
EDWARDS, Maurice, ld, , 9, , MGY Welshpool, Red Lion Entry, /f698/p6

Jan :)

All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

TROW From Wales to New Zealand

Offline apd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 09 February 05 13:41 GMT (UK) »
Jan,

Sorry it's taken me a bit of time to get back to you - I have been out of commission for a bit.

What census year is your information taken from? It is difficult to know if it might be the father of Elizabeth. If it was from the 1841 census, then it could possibly be her father if her mother was quite a lot younger than the father.
It could also be a later census if the parents abandoned the children to the workhouse.

Sorry to appear so ignorant, but where is Welshpool?

Adrian

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jump into your genes...and dig up your roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 10 February 05 10:20 GMT (UK) »
The information in my post is from the 1851 census - sorry I forgot to put that!!!!!!

Welshpool is in Montgomeryshire (now Powys) and is approximately 14 miles from Newtown, and 6 miles from the Powys/shropshire border.

http://uk.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?client=public&X=300000&Y=300000&gride=&gridn=&scale=1000000&coordsys=gb&db=ukgaz&lang=&inmap=&table=&ovtype=&localinfosel=&local=o&kw=&srec=0&mapsize=big&db=ukgaz&rt=  This shows you!!!!!!

I would just like to point out, and correct me if I'm wrong here!!, but in your original post in the 1851 N & L Workhouse entry you say that Martha Lewis and Edward Lewis may be the children's grandparents:-

LEWIS   Martha   70   Widow   Shoebinder   Montg   Llanllwchaiarn
LEWIS   Edward   65   unmarried   Spinner   Montg   Llandyssil

Edward is unmarried, so do you think this is unlikely???? I don't mean to offend here!!!!

Jan :)

All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

TROW From Wales to New Zealand

Offline jqaswell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 23 October 05 16:13 BST (UK) »
WOOLLEY Connection?

Hannah (Thomas of Trefeglwys B: 1781) Married John Woolley on the 16.11.1803 he died 27.3.1834 age 54
They had
Mary B: 27.4.1804 D 19.5.1812 age 8 Baptism 6.5.1804
John B: 15.9.1805 Baptism 29.9.1805
Richard B: 25.9.1807 Baptism 26.7.1809
Jane B: 20.7.1809 Baptism 26.7.1809 D: 1844
Elizabeth B 28.2.1812 Baptism 15.3.1812
Mary B: 17.4.1817 (A death reg between 1817 - 1822)
James B: 31.3.1820
Mary & George B: 24.5.1822 (Confused about this another Mary)
EDWARD 5.8.1825

Jane married Thomas Willmore had 3 children, she died in 1844 lost family after 1851 (two children on cencus that year)
Mary eventually married John Lewis - but first had a son Frederick 1850 who went by the name of Woolley, he married Eliza and they had 14 children have a photo of All the children with the Fred and Eliza taken around 1900. This is my connection - have family descendants from this photo.

Do you think there is a connection?

Woolley - Newtown; Hibbott - Newtown & Chicago; Harris - Newtown; Jones - Llandovery; Evans - Carno; Willmore - Lancashire; Thomas - Trefeglwys

Offline jqaswell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 23 October 05 16:29 BST (UK) »
Also found this:
Taken from the Quarter Sessions held at Llandrindod Archives
The Queen on the prosecution of John Gough against Elizabeth Woolley late of the Parish of Newtown, in the Country of Montgomery, single women for simple larceny.  A true bill Prisoner pleads not guilty.  Jury says Guilty

Ordered that Prisoner Elizabeth Woolley be confined in the gaol for this county and there kept to hard labour for one calendar month. 1849

Frederick Lloyd Ford against Edward Woolley late of the Parish of Llanllwchaiarn (just outside Newtown) in the County of Montgomery, labourer for simple Larceny - No true bill.
Woolley - Newtown; Hibbott - Newtown & Chicago; Harris - Newtown; Jones - Llandovery; Evans - Carno; Willmore - Lancashire; Thomas - Trefeglwys

Offline Dinamboyz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 25 October 13 03:51 BST (UK) »
Hi
There was  a Mr and Mrs Wolley living in Llandinam in the 40's and 50's.
I have a picture of them.
Kind regards
Lewis - Llangurig, Llanidloes, Gorseinon
Davies - Llangurig, Llanidloes, Treorchy
GriffithsDevilsBridge,LlangurigStaylittle,Llandinam
Beynon - Llanidloes, Treorchy
Evans - Llanidloes, Llandinam
Driscol - Peckham, London
Grifiths - Peckham, London
Jones - y Fan (van), Llanidloes, Llandinam
George - Llanidloes, South wales
Corfield - Llanidloes, Kerry, Church Stretton