Author Topic: toronto convalescent homes ww1  (Read 6994 times)

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: toronto convalescent homes ww1
« Reply #27 on: Friday 17 August 18 22:45 BST (UK) »
Interesting... I do see a Fred Jefferys on the 1921 census
  Marital Status:   Married  Age:25 Birth Year:   abt 1896  England   Year of Immigration: 1910
   Province: Ontario   District: Toronto East  District Number:   131 ,   Ward 1  Sub-District     2
   Street:  771 1/2 Queen St E , Occupation: "Mechanic"   Income: 1500
Free to view on Ancestry with a sign in....
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 18 August 18 00:51 BST (UK) »
I see you have been on another genealogy message board as well...will add that url:
https://www.ancestry.com/boards/localities.northam.canada.ontario.toronto/4978/mb.ashx

FREDERICK  GEORGE NICHOLAS JEFFERIS  Born June 27 1895, Bristol England 
  1910/11 arrived Canada  - Barely a teenager
  1911  Not found in census
  1914 at signup -  Lives 43 ( or 30? ) High Street Brantford, Ontario Machinist/Labourer
  1915 Wounded on several different dates
  1916 Discharge from active service stamped Bath Eng.Sept. 9, 1916 
  1916 Oct 19 - Spadina Military Hospital to recover
  1917 Officially discharged: Toronto, Jan 8th
  1921 census May have been spotted with a wife, Ada, 771 1/2 Queen St E, Toronto
      ?  return to U.K. for visit-
    1930 Return to Canada ?? lives Major St, Toronto. A brother, but no wife mentioned?

cannot find  1910 nor 1911 entry into Canada...saw this one
 Frederick Jefferies    Male age 19 BIRTH 1894   DEPARTURE : 26/07/1913 PORT : Bristol England
 DESTINATION PORT: Quebec Canada SHIP NAME: Royal Edward /   Royal Line

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Offline krissy

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Krissy always in the clouds
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 18 August 18 09:49 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone , Thankyou for this jeany x the man is so elusive it’s crazy !!! Yes to the records I did get that far ha ha , but after that nothing ! The one on the 1921 census I did see but he came back to bristol in 1930 (no wife as far as I was told ) but anything is possible with him !!! Even found what could have been him in sascachewen as a fireman ?? The variations on the surname spelling is causing me a headache , Well several actually ggrrr!! I can find no marriage or death there is another Fred Jefferis but he’s older and poss an uncle ?? This one married an Ada but don’t think he’s my Fred , i did think
Maybe he returned at a later date but as yet found nothing !! It’s interesting that you found a Nicholas in his name that’s the first I’ve seen that it’s usually just Fred g Jefferis but I do know his grandfather was Nicholas. Maybe he stayed single as you pointed out he did suffer after the war with shell shock so maybe had many issues with this , his parents had both passed by 1930 so would he have stayed or returned to Canada , I’m chasing records in a place called congresbury in Somerset as this would have been the most likely place he would have stayed if he remained but I’m sure he returned to Toronto and so far nothing !!!
jefferis, jefferies, harding, dewar.drummond, waterfield,wright

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
FREDERICK G N JEFFERIS b. June 27 1895, Bristol England
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 18 August 18 13:52 BST (UK) »
   I can see deaths for all the other earlier male siblings, Walter, Wm#1, Albert & Thomas...all registered Barton Regis district as were most births....so that ends the theory that a brother may have been in another family's home at census. Perhaps Fred was going to a brother-in-law in 1930? I have not seen the ship's records. I see no divorce if he was that Fred married to Ada, 1921, but truthfully, it wasn't enforced enough back then to make people take it all that seriously. People would just split or even go so far as to remarry without one. KarenM & my husband can vouch for that as their grandfathers did just that! That cold and heartless war made some very sad people, looking for some happiness they might never find.
  Well, Krissy, other than looking in newspapers....unlikely if there were no children to write an obit... or being lucky with find-a-grave one day, I think that we have to let this one go. We'll likely not outlive Canada's privacy laws, and one must leave a footprint in order to find one. He likely didn't keep contact with veterans affairs or the Legion, as his death would have been recorded somewhere near the end of his paperwork. You've actually found more than most. My husband paid for a whole lot of blank papers when he got my grandfather's info as a gift several years ago. Also wounded in 1915, changed over to a Scottish regiment & most info was destroyed in ww2, so I have nothing after that, and he served to 1914 - 1919

all the best, J.J.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 18 August 18 14:19 BST (UK) »
I found a full length of the replies given to you on the other message board which should have been added onto here by you, Krissy. I see you double requested on there as there are multiple posts with similar answers.

Person: Frederick JEFFERIS  Outgoing Occupation: a Buyer aged 33
Date of departure: 19 April 1930 from Poplar Farm, Corgresbury, Nr. Bristol
Ticket No. TC743 Port of departure: Southampton Destination port: Montreal
Destination country: Canada  Ship: CALGARIC

Um...This one clearly used his full middle name, & FreeBmd has Frederick George N Jefferis
Frederick George Jefferis  Age: 33  abt 1897 Birth Country: England  Date of Arrival: 28 Apr 1930 Vessel: Calgaric   Arrival: Montreal, Que    Port Departure: Southampton, England  Roll: T-14762

I read your post again, and don't see how the Fred with Ada is too old, nor how he can be discounted for no reason whatsoever? I enjoy a search, but jeepers....

Offline krissy

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Krissy always in the clouds
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 18 August 18 14:35 BST (UK) »
Hi kJ think you may be right to let it go I’ve just read all the post , Thankyou anyway for trying I do appreciate it many thanks xx
jefferis, jefferies, harding, dewar.drummond, waterfield,wright