Author Topic: Ruddick/Teasdale family of Crosby Ravensworth  (Read 5312 times)

Offline millsie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Ruddick/Teasdale family of Crosby Ravensworth
« on: Wednesday 24 January 07 13:22 GMT (UK) »
I have an ancestor Anthony Nicholson Ruddick who emigrated to South Australia in 1856.  He was baptised in Crosby Ravensworth June 26, 1823.  Parents are James and Mary (nee Nicholson) Ruddick.  The family appears in the 1841 census with parents James and Mary and children Jane, Elizabeth, John, Anthony, Annas and Margaret.  Some members of the family appear again in the 1851 census.

In 1869 Anthony married a Agnes Sprott Wilson and the couple bore 5 children in Moonta, South Australia.  By 1881 when the children were enrolled in school, they were using the last name Teasdale.  Anthony's death records his last name as Teasdale.  Agnes and the children continued to use the Teasdale name for most of their lives and, with the exception of one daughter, were buried as Teasdales.

There appear to be Ruddicks, Teasdales and Nicholsons resident in the area in 1829 and 1787.

I am trying to establish what the connection may have been between the two Ruddicks and Teasdales that would lead to Anthony assuming the Teasdale name later in life.  Also if anyone has any thoughts on why such a name change may have taken place.  Or any information on the other descendants of this family.

Many thanks
Mills/Ingram/Hill/Lucas: Wiltshire/South Australia
DeLaine: France
Teasdale: Westmoreland
Plant: Cheshire
Boyne: Inverness
Westendorf/Jackel: Germany
Davey:  Somerset
Betts/Goodgame: Buckinghamshire/Oxfordshire
McKinlay: Scotland
Dow: Scotland
Dow/Brown/Simpson: Yorkshire
Wilson: Scotland
Jory: Cornwall
Heal/Stone: Somerset

Offline twinkleberry

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ruddick/Teasdale family of Crosby Ravensworth
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 03 February 07 00:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Millsie

Long time no see!!

I saw your request regarding Anthony Nicholson Ruddick,  son of James Ruddick born 1832 and died 11th August 1889 in Moonta South Australia

The following is what I managed to find when I was in the South Australian State Library yesterday.

ARRIVAL FROM OVERSEAS.

Anthony Nicholson arrived in South Australia 29th February 1856 aboard the "FEROZEPORE' which weighed 558 tons, and was a 3 mast ship, built in 1846 in Newcastle On Tyne. The ship was owned by Henderson, and Registered in London. The ship's Captain was Captain Wilson.

CHILDREN BORN TO ANTHONY NICHOLSON RUDDICK & AGNES SPROUT WILSON.

1. Christina Morton born 12th February 1875 in Moonta Mines, District Daly reference book 146 page 378

2. James born 17th February 1870 in Moonta District Daly reference book 80 page 234.

3. Jane McDonald born 27th November 1878 in East Moonta, District Daly reference book 211 page 383

4. Margaret Grant born 25th June 1871 in Moonta, District Daly reference book 97 pae 485.

Anthony Nicholson, aged 37 years, single, son of James Ruddick married 18th June 1869 to Agnes Spreat/Sprout aged 26 years, single, daughter of Hugh Wilson at Presbyterian Church, Wallaoo Distict Daly reference book 79 page 756 symbol 'A' denoting (1) The Registar has made an amendment to information on this birth record, and/or (2) The Registrar has included additional information on this birth record.

Anthony Nicholson resided in Moonta.

His religion was Presbyterian

WILSON.

Agnes Scott nee Wilson daughter of Hugh and Margaret born 8th February 1842 in Ayr, Scotland.

Agnes died 11th January 1940 in Karrakatta, Western Australia.

It is not a lot of information, but I hope the above is of some interest.

Regards

"Twinkleberry"
back on deck again!!

Heather Hobbis 1949-2012

Offline Deborah Boss

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 21 April 07 20:38 BST (UK) »
Millsie
I spent sometime looking through Crosby Ravensworth records trying to find an explanation for the name change but didn't find anything.  Sorry.
regards
Deborah

Offline Jeffrey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information is Crown Copyright,
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 14 December 14 14:05 GMT (UK) »
I Know this was a while ago but do you know who Mary Nicholson's parents were?

Judy
CUMBERLAND  Armstrong Little Nixon Richardson Pearson Watson Braithwaite
WESTMORLAND  Richardson Dent Nicholson Hanson Kersey Smith Heigh
DURHAM Reed Smith Reay Hammond Metcalf Bell
Thompson Armstrong Branford Parkin Heaton Oates
NORTHUMB'LAND Nixon Johnson Armstrong Branford Thompson
DUMFRIES Armstrong Bell Halliday Little Carruthers Johnstone
YORKS Richardson Branford Siddle
ROXBURGH Jackson Elliot Armstrong Scott
FIFE Adamson Gosman Brown
AUSTRALIA Richardson Dent Hanson Kersey

Offline millsie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 14 July 15 13:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Judy,

Thanks for joining this conversation and sorry not to have seen your reply sooner. Your question prompted me to return to researching this branch of the family. I will need to order a certificate to verify, but available clues suggest that Mary Nicholson was the daughter of John Nicholson and Ann Leech, baptised June 3 1787.

Jane
Mills/Ingram/Hill/Lucas: Wiltshire/South Australia
DeLaine: France
Teasdale: Westmoreland
Plant: Cheshire
Boyne: Inverness
Westendorf/Jackel: Germany
Davey:  Somerset
Betts/Goodgame: Buckinghamshire/Oxfordshire
McKinlay: Scotland
Dow: Scotland
Dow/Brown/Simpson: Yorkshire