Author Topic: HERON of Northumberland 1650-1750  (Read 8717 times)

Offline Leenie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: HERON of Northumberland 1650-1750
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 25 January 07 23:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Anne,

Glad to see Gladys responding to you quicker than me! I know Gladys (we are related via two different family lines) and she is just wonderful with her information. I have learned much from her.

The latest/dated Ralph Heron I can give you from my line is the one born in 1732 Morpeth. He was the son of John Heron and his wife, Mary. He was the grandson of the Ralph Heron married in 1699.

This Ralph was also a shoemaker and married Margaret Allen. He died in Morpeth 22 Sept 1797. He and Margaret had several children:
Margaret 1761, John 1763, Mathew 1771, Isabel 1773, Alice 1775, Ralph 1766, Isabel 1769, Winnifred 1777.

Tell me more about your Ralph and I will see if I can find him on our tree.

Regards,

Colleen

Offline gladys1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 26 January 07 08:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Colleen you have saved me putting the Ralph`s in and Ann i was going to ask you to send me what you have on Ralph as well as it would be better for me to look at my tree.   Cheerio for now. Gladys. :)

Offline gladys1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 28 January 07 14:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I would be interested in what you have a little more recently on Ralph Herron, say from 1750-1800 as I have an ancestor Ralph herron also!

Anne

Hello Ann are your Herons from Morpeth as i haven`t heard from you. Gladys.

Offline habanero

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 28 January 07 16:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Not ignoring you! Been busy and have only just looked out my notes.. I may have jumped the gun as my Herons were at Wylam!

Cheers,  Anne
Grant, Charters, Knowles, Blanch, Robson, Ward, Maughan, Adams, Griffin, Lucas, Ansell, Lumsden

Offline dolly dimples

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 28 January 07 18:25 GMT (UK) »
 Colleen, if you Google Heron of Chipchase, ther is a fair amount of info there, I haven't read it in full myself, but I always google when i hit the "wall"
          Good Luck Dolly.
Northumberland. Main.Hertfordshire.Brash.Dryden
East Lothian.Brash. Dryden. Cumberland.Henderson.Joyce.
Plymouth.Charlick. Canada.Boulds.

Offline gladys1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 28 January 07 18:47 GMT (UK) »
Hello Ann thats quite alright, hi Dolly, Colleen and me have seen the Chipchase Heron`s and nothing there to find our Ralph who was married at Morpeth 1699 , this is a very big brick wall we are up againts.  Gladys. ???

Offline jora

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 06 February 07 20:26 GMT (UK) »
Just as a matter of interest - and you may already know this - I have just read this passage in Jenny Uglow's bigraphy of Thomas Bewick. She describes the arrival in Newcastle in 1786 of Vincenzo Lunardi with his newfangled hot-air balloon. He was to make an ascent from the Spital fields, but while they were filling the balloon with gas, there was a rush of gas and the men let go of the ropes,  the balloon went upwards - "carrying a young man called Ralph Heron, who had twisted a rope round one arm so that he had a hand free to eat some nuts. At five hundred feet, before a horrified crowd, he fell to his death in a nearby garden. Newcastle ended Lunardi's career and gave Britain its first fatal air accident."

Offline Leenie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 06 February 07 21:25 GMT (UK) »
Greetings Jora,

Thanks for keeping the quest open in finding Ralph Heron! I keep hoping (someone out there) will have a Ralph who married in 1699 or was born, circa 1650.
Yes, I have seen this (actual) newspaper clip and feel, strongly, that the Ralph who died in this accident, was related to the Ralph I seek.
The balloon accident happened to Ralph Heron, son of Ralph Heron (b. 22 Feb 1736) and Ann Cuthbertson (b. 21 Nov. 1738.) I believe this branch is from Corbridge. He had sisters: Francis, Charlotte and Elizabeth. As the only son, the line, following the accident, literally died with this event.
This Ralph's grandfather was also a Ralph (b. 09 Feb 1713) who married a Francis Scurfield on 8 June 1731 in Eglingham. His father was Thomas Heron (b. 1665 in Corbridge) who married Ann Hudspeth in 1691 in Corbridge.
Strange enough, if you follow the Heron of Morpeth tree, (my) Ralph, who married in 1699, also had a son named Ralph who was born on 09 Feb 1713.
See the problem?
For one.....there are too many Ralph Herons floating around. !!
And two? The Ralph born in 1713 cannot have two different fathers.
That is where I am trying to tie up the confusion.
I believe these two lines to be connected. Now, I am searching for a way to do so.
I'd love to hear from you again if you have a theory.
And, thanks again for thinking of Ralph.
Leenie

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 06 February 07 22:26 GMT (UK) »
For the record here is the full entry which I recently copied from the St Nicholas Burial Register:

21 July 1786: Ralph son of Ralph Heron, Attorney at Law, this amiable young man and several others were assisting Mr Lunardi in filling a Balloon in the Spittal, on the Gass issuing through the platform they were alarm'd, Without his knowledge let the Balloon go, he unfortunately had the Cord which opened the Valve held around his arm and was in an instant carried up into the air many feet higher than the spire of St Nicholas Church, fell upon his feet into Lord Mount Stewarts Garden, died about ten hours after.

Jennifer
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk