Author Topic: 1871 census lookup please - Corbett  (Read 3732 times)

Offline holden

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1871 census lookup please - Corbett
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 07 June 07 17:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Never mind,it was worth a try! Best wishes, Holden

Offline Wulf60

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 11 December 16 15:14 GMT (UK) »
Funny your CORBETTs had Biblical names. My 3 x gt grandfather, Thomas CORBETT who was born in Wellington c1793 named his children Jeshurun (Jesse), Jane Naomi, Ruth and Hannah.

Jeshurun was my 2 x gt grandfather.

I would love to here some more about your CORBETTs.

Regards
Dee

Dear Dee,

We appear to be 4th cousins! Thomas Corbett is my great great great grandfather also but it is through his daughter Ruth that I am descended. Do you have any information about Thomas's ancestry as I am struggling a bit in taking it further back than him? :)

Regards

Wulf

Offline deed

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 17 December 16 22:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Wulf

Our 3 x great grandfather Thomas CORBET was married 4 times and Jeshurun and Ruth were from his first marriage to Elizabeth. No marriage found yet though, although I have found a baptism for Thomas in the IGI for 27 Jan 1793 at Wellington, Shropshire, son of John CORBET and Mary ONIONS and which I believe to be correct. This was also given to me by the CORBET Onename Study Group.

John CORBET and Mary ONIONS were married in Wellington on 2 Aug 1773. (Source FindMyPast Archive reference P291/A/3/2)

John was the son of Robert CORBET and Mary WYNNE, bapt 3 May 1751 at Wellington. They married 23 Jan 1741 at All Saints, Wellington (source FindMyPast Archive reference P291/A/1/2).

I believe that Robert may have been the son of William CORBET and Eliza ONIONS, bapt 6 Mar 1719, Wellington but have yet to verify this.

Hope this helps.

Merry Christmas  :)

Dee
Researching:CORBETT, ELLIOTT, CONELEY, COLEMAN, DITCHER, DAVIES, CAMPBELL, DUNN, TERNENT, SIMPSON, SCOTT, HARDING, HESLOP, WOODCOCK to name a few.

Offline Wulf60

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 01 July 18 18:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Deed,
Long time no speak but I have been very busy researching the ancestry of Thomas Corbett's immediate family. I have obtained lots of information in the last 18 months or so. I have identified with certainty that Thomas's first wife is Elizabeth due to finding an online record of an adult baptism for Ruth Corbett in St John's Frome in 1863. Still no luck in identifying a marriage record for Thomas and Elizabeth.
The marriage certificates for Thomas's marriages to Esther/Hester Haddock (nee Cook) in 1840 and Ann Shapcott (nee Cole) in 1867 indicate that Thomas's father was indeed a John Corbett and his status on both records is stated to be a Gentleman. I believe that Thomas's year of birth may have been 1792, rather than 1793. The baptismal record for All Saints in January 1793 does not relate to our Thomas. I have researched the family unit of John and Mary Corbett in 19th century Wellington and the Thomas that belongs to that family is not ours-he was a Toll Collector! I have still to identify Thomas's birth family but we can rule out Mary Onions being the mother.
His 2nd wife Mary Ann Read was considerably younger than Thomas. They married in 1832 when she was just 20! In addition to the birth of Hannah they also had a son Joseph who died at about 18 months of age in February 1839 from Croup. Mary Ann died 2 months later from consumption.
I have found Thomas on the electoral roll in Westbury in 1846. I believe that it is him as there is only 1 Thomas Corbett on the 1841 census there and none there in 1851-he had moved to Frome. He owned agricultural landed that was rented out to 3 farmers-I have their names and checked them out on the 1841 census. Thomas does not appear on the 1861 census anywhere and I believe that he was out of the country, probably working as a missionary. We know from the census and Ruth's marriage certificate that in 1851 he was a Baptist Minister and is also stated still to be one on the death certificate of Esther/Hester in April 1859 in Frome. Thomas did not register her death. A unrelated person did this and got his first name wrong! Said he was 'William' but gave his occupation as Baptist Minister which reinforces my belief that he was not around between 1859-1861 at least. She died of debility. Jeshurun/Jesse's marriage certificate states Thomas to be a 'Clerk' but in 1850 this would also have meant clerk of holy orders. I know that in 1837, 1839, 1840 & 1841 he was a Schoolmaster. By the time of his 4th marriage in 1867 to Ann he was a Scripture Reader which I believe was a C of E occupation. This could explain why Ruth, born a Baptist was baptised in the C of E 4 years before. It looks like he switched denominations! In the 1871 census and at the time of his death in April 1875 he was a Scripture Reader. He died of Senex-Old Age. I found out from the Baptists that he carried out a number of burial services at Vallis Road cemetery in Frome.
Regards
Wulf