Author Topic: 1980 Electoral register, aged 16, 17, 18 or 21?  (Read 994 times)

Offline Phil32

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1980 Electoral register, aged 16, 17, 18 or 21?
« on: Thursday 25 January 07 19:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,
        As you have been so helpful before, I just wondered if anyone can help with this question regarding an Electoral Register for 1980?
        Basically, I have found an entry for this year, & beside the name is a date. Does this date appear on the register to indicate a 16th, 17th, 18th, or 21st Birthday?
        I get a bit confused regarding these dates, as I am sure that I have read that it is normally only people age 21 in the year relevent entered on the registers, but I have also found that some include 17 & 18 year olds?
        Anyway, if anyone can help, then many thanks.

Phil32

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1984 Electoral register, aged 16, 17, 18 or 21?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 January 07 20:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Phil

The voting age was lowered to 18 in 1969 so I would suggest that they would probably attain the age of 18 on the 21st of July which followed publication of the register - would that make sense?

Casalguidi
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Phil32

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1984 Electoral register, aged 16, 17, 18 or 21?
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 January 07 21:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Casalguidi,

Many thanks for the reply, & it does make sense! I have been looking on another website that shows all the polling changes over the years, & the lowering of voting ages.

I think I was concentrating too much on typing electoral register into google, rather than voting ages, which through up loads of better answers.

Anyway, thanks again for your reply.

Phil32