Author Topic: Australia Day  (Read 3777 times)

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
Re: Australia Day
« Reply #9 on: Friday 26 January 07 04:56 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat, aithne!  Sounds as though you have a much longer pedigree here than most of us!! ;D

My earliest were convicts, as follows:

About JOHNSON, Thomas, b.1797
Thomas Johnson was a convict who arrived in the colony of New South Wales in January 1820. He was born into the Staffordshire working class, a blacksmith and nailer by trade as were many of the inhabitants of the Rowley Regis area. He was arrested in December 1818 and held in gaol until 17th March 1819 when he was tried at the Salop Assizes for the following offence: `Thomas Johnson, age 23, born Rowley, Staffordshire, a labourer. Charged upon the oaths of John Hadley and Thomas Smith with having in the night of 21st December last, at the parish of Hales Owen, feloniously and burglariously broke and entered the dwelling house of the said John Hadley and stealing thereout, one pair of shoes, 2 pair of stockings, 3 bushels of apples, one shawl, 2 loaves of bread and twenty shillings (copper and half-pence) the property of the said John Hadley.`

And Sarah Perry:

In 1819 the world of this servant woman changed forever when she was arrested and convicted for the theft of a length of diaper cloth. She was the mother of one small daughter, Mary Ann, a son Thomas (age unknown) and at least one infant, Hannah, and may well have been their main or sole provider. Sarah was held in gaol till 10 January 1820 when she was brought to trial on the following charge: Sarah Trueman, aged 27, born at Rowley is `Charged upon the oath of John Thomas with feloniously stealing one piece of diaper cloth from out of his shop in the town of Oswestry of the value of 37 shillings.` The Prisoner was found Guilty and sentenced to be Transported for seven years." Sarah was imprisoned, pending transportation though it is not known where she was held. On 22 May 1820 along with 121 other female convicts she embarked from London docks on the convict ship "Morley"(3) [Master: Brown] bound for New South Wales. The voyage to Sydney took 131 days arriving on September 13th, 1820.

Thomas Johnson married Sarah's daughter Mary Ann.  Sarah's story in particular is interesting, sad at times and inspiring!!

Bit like Prue's story, really!

Keith - sure, join in, we dub you an honorary Aussie for the day!  Pull up a stump and 'av a beer and a pie!!  ;D ;D ;D

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline gennig

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 26 January 07 06:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi All

Happy Australia Day.

The first arrival is from my grandmothers side, he arrived on the "Barwell" in May 1798, and yes he was a convict.  His wife to be arrived on the "Nile" on the 14th December 1801.

regards

Genni
All census look up transcriptions are Crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Surnames:
Armstrong, Gray, Greco, Lambden, Le Busque, Beaton, Carron, Pitt, Gould
Areas:
Victoria, Tasmania, Hampshire, Berkshire, Yorkshire, Fermanagh, Glamorgan

Offline deeiluka

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mrs Dee & me.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 26 January 07 10:45 GMT (UK) »
My first arrivals were not convicts - didn't have convicts in South Australia. They were some of the early German settlers of the 1840s named Deimel who went to Hahndorf in the Adelaide Hills.

Another German family, the Ehmckes,  settled in the city of Adelaide itself and built a large sawmill and timber works between Rundle St and Grenfell Street on Hindmarsh Square. There's a little lane in the city named Ehmcke's Lane.

There was also an English family named Selway from England who arrived in the late 1840s as well.

But really they are very recent arrivals in comparison to Aithne's.

......dee
Steeles, Burton, Garrod (Norfolk), Clarke, Tomblin (Rutland)
Bauer (London, France), Blades, Parker (Surrey)
Edwards, Coles, Smith, Nunley, Craddock, York, & Linnell (Northants) )
Ehmcke, Deimel, Appelkamp (Germany)
Watts (Somerset, Wiltshire) Selway, Churchill, & Chappell (Somerset)
Redwood (Devon, Essex) Button, Archer, Leach (Cambridgeshire)

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Robert Coble

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • crazy !!!! Crazy !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 27 January 07 00:12 GMT (UK) »
My first Australian ancestor came over in 1833.  Yes, a convict.  Second one came over in 1840, also a convict. third one came over in 1846 yes a convict too.

The First Fleet
Yes descendant Henry Kable  Convict

There are other Convict's
Bliss, Bristol, Covell and Coble

They married, and that was the start of my Aussie family 
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Coble or Covell, Coule Australia, Canada, USA  @ England.
Barker Australia @ England
Walker Australia, England @ South America.
Bristol Australia @ England.
Nash Australia @ England.

Offline little meg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 27 January 07 07:51 GMT (UK) »
My first ancestor came out in 1849, went back to England for a couple of years then back to Aussie.
After that they all poured out here, from the 1850's to the 1870's. 
Hard working men and women that settled this great country and made it what it is today.
As were all convicts and their descendants  ;)

My mums family didn't come out until the 1930's, from Wales.

Happy Australia day ;D

Margaret
Simpson-Kildwick,Yorkshire & Australia, Overend-Sutton, Kildwick,Yorkshire & Australia, Whitaker - Cononley/Yorkshire, Pickard - Silsden/Yorkshire, Howarth - Skipton/Yorkshire and Lancashire, Heaton-Yorkshire, Preston-Yorkshire, Myers-Yorkshire & Australia, Wild-Yorkshire & Australia. Storey-Middlesex/Australia

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 27 January 07 10:58 GMT (UK) »
OzyBob,

What a coincidence!  I've just been reading a WONDERFUL article about Henry Kable and Susannah Holmes, who he married, in the "Queensland Family Historian" - by Patricia K. Kable, another descendant!  It is SO interesting that I had thought of posting a short excerpt here!  Are you aware of Patricia and her article?  If not, I am sure the Queensland Family History Society could put you in touch!

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline jselway

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 26 February 07 09:10 GMT (UK) »
deeiluka - hi- just seen your post about family of Selways from Somerset. Do you have any more info?

John

Offline deeiluka

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mrs Dee & me.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 26 February 07 09:33 GMT (UK) »
Jhn, I have started a thread especially for Selways in Australia.

Would love to see if we have any link.

....dee
Steeles, Burton, Garrod (Norfolk), Clarke, Tomblin (Rutland)
Bauer (London, France), Blades, Parker (Surrey)
Edwards, Coles, Smith, Nunley, Craddock, York, & Linnell (Northants) )
Ehmcke, Deimel, Appelkamp (Germany)
Watts (Somerset, Wiltshire) Selway, Churchill, & Chappell (Somerset)
Redwood (Devon, Essex) Button, Archer, Leach (Cambridgeshire)

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk