Author Topic: WOODROFFE/CURRAN-TYRRELL  (Read 4881 times)

Offline Reiver

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
WOODROFFE/CURRAN-TYRRELL
« on: Friday 26 January 07 17:28 GMT (UK) »
Good afternoon all.

Essentially I am looking to obtain a Marriage Certificate from the Register Office in St. Albans. Is it better to phone first or simply to write a letter providing as much as possible - probably both?  Marriage I expect is in the 5 yr period 1921 to 1924?

I'm sure you would like to know more details  :)

Joseph Froude Woodroffe was born in 1882.  He was an author, explorer before going into WWI.  He has been a bit of a mystery chap in the family.  Very recently, having done most of the non-mysterious members, I thought I would try to sort him out.  He was my (wife's) great uncle.

Family has it that he married a Lilian Curran-Tyrell in St Albans. No date. They had an eldest daughter named Peggy and that she had had several daughters as a consequence of her marrying a Mr. Leak.  Those girls would now be in their late 50s/60s (Family gave me their ages in the early 1970s).

I have just got the birth certificate of Peggy (Margaret Josephine Woodroffe).  She was born on 17th July 1923 to Joseph Froude Woodroffe and Lilian Curran-Tyrrell. The family lived at Gumbrills Farm, North Crawley.  Fenny Stratford?  So family knowledge proved correct.

So far so good.

Using the FindmyPast on-line GRO Index I cannot find the marriage of Joseph and Lilian up to 1924 - well after Peggy was born. I've looked under Woodroffe, Woodroff, Woodruff, Froude, Curran, Tyrrell but cannot find hide nor hair of them.

Hence my wanting to try the St Albans Register Office.

Any additional help or ideas would be gratefully received.  Thanks in advance

Regards
Reiver

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've updated my profile ......
    • View Profile
Re: Woodroffe/Curran-Tyrrell
« Reply #1 on: Friday 26 January 07 18:15 GMT (UK) »
I've taken it back to 1Q 1918 with no result on either partner ...

musing ..... he was 40+ when Peggy was born, a possibility that either she wasnt the first (surviving)
child, perhaps they left it for a while .... or maybe WW1 'got in the way' ..... where did he serve ?

Could they have married abroad ?

Do you have his war record - try posting on the Armed Forces Board - or look for his medal Index card at the National Archives ....

Wish you luck !
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 26 January 07 18:22 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if he was previously married ?
Strange entry - as its post 1912, you do get to see spouse name - but they are offering two !

Joseph F Woodroffe
1Q 1914 
Spouse's Surname: Drabble OR Lewis  (Freda)
District: St Martin (1913-33) 
County: London, Middlesex 
Volume: 1a 
Page: 856

Offline Reiver

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 26 January 07 18:54 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Newfy for both your mails.

Yes he did marry Freda Drabble otherwise Lewis in 1914.  I have his medal record and have been on the Armed Forces Board who have supplied meanings of abbreviations. I need to gain the skill to email a photograph of him in an apparent military uniform in 1902.  I too have found nothing in the way of a marriage for him either using Joseph Woodroffe or similar or by using Lilian Curran-Tyrrell.  Yes, I suppose he could have married abroad (Scotland?).  However the fact that some of the family knowledge is proving true I still wonder whether the story that he married in St Albans is true but wondered if for some reason the copy certificate wasn't sent to Somerset House or got there and wasn't indexed.  From experience, equally strange things happen.   I did try Scotlands People but perhaps I'll give them another go.  There are snippets of family information about him but no indication that he went abroad - not post war anyway.  He was exploring the Amazon and wrote about it before the War.

Thanks for your help

Reiver

Offline carolyn777coair

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: WOODROFFE/CURRAN-TYRRELL
« Reply #4 on: Monday 16 April 07 18:21 BST (UK) »
I am Joseph Froude Woodroffe Grand daughter called Carolyn, my Father is Geaffrey born 1928 his youngest son. Your wife, my cousin must be the Grand daughter of Lilian. My Aunt Peggy told me that Lilian married a man called Mr Law. May Josephs other sister married a Mr Stoddart.My grandfather was gassed by the germans & met my Grandmother in  Hospital a nurse from Ballyhaunis Co Mayo Ireland.
             I do not believe a marriage certificate exists for them.They ran a newspaper in Spain 1930. I have a lovely photograph of Josephs father and two of Lilians Daughters, one of which must be your wifes Mot her, I would love to send it to you -
You can reach me Email removed.  Please exchange personal data via our secure Personal Messaging system - Rick

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 16 April 07 18:31 BST (UK) »
Hi - best to PM the message (click the green scroll) - the Moderators will remove email addresses ....

Offline Rick

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Emails are not working at the moment sorry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 17 April 07 11:52 BST (UK) »
I am Joseph Froude Woodroffe Grand daughter called Carolyn, my Father is Geaffrey born 1928 his youngest son. Your wife, my cousin must be the Grand daughter of Lilian. My Aunt Peggy told me that Lilian married a man called Mr Law. May Josephs other sister married a Mr Stoddart.My grandfather was gassed by the germans & met my Grandmother in  Hospital a nurse from Ballyhaunis Co Mayo Ireland.
             I do not believe a marriage certificate exists for them.They ran a newspaper in Spain 1930. I have a lovely photograph of Josephs father and two of Lilians Daughters, one of which must be your wifes Mot her, I would love to send it to you -
You can reach me Email removed.  Please exchange personal data via our secure Personal Messaging system - Rick

Welcome Carolyn!

I hope that you will visit us often and find RootsChat useful to you.

As Newfy has indicated, we prefer members not to post any personal details on their posts.  This is purely for their own safety.  RootsChat tries hard to protect its members and our Personal Messaging  system is a very safe and secure way to exchange personal details.

Click on the link below for useful tips.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,207046.0.html

Kind Regards
Rick :)

Herts Moderator

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline brianoleary85

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 31 January 15 12:59 GMT (UK) »
Coming late to this post, and you may already have all this information, but the Ulster King of Arms granted Lillian's father, Thomas Curran of Annagh, Ballyhaunis, Co. Mayo, a coat of arms in 1892 (and a name change to Tyrrell). You can see the grant here:

http://catalogue.nli.ie/Record/vtls000529303#page/275/mode/1up

They are on the 1901 and 1911 census here:
http://census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Mayo/Coolnaha/Annagh/1594642/
http://census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Mayo/Coolnaha/Annagh/736336/

There is some information on their Tyrrell estate here:
http://www.landedestates.ie/LandedEstates/jsp/estate-show.jsp?id=145

Thomas Curran (son of James Curran) seems to be married to Bridget Agnes Tyrrell, the daughter of Patrick Dillon Tyrrell (ca. 1816-1892) of Annagh, Ballyhaunis: they married in 1889.
http://www.mocavo.com/Armorial-Families-a-Directory-of-Gentlemen-of-Coat-Armour/960796/1492

In the 1901 and 1911 census they are living with a Maria Tyrrell, in one called a "relative" another "sister in law". (The transcription mistakenly puts her surname as her "C Tyrrell" like the rest of the family, but the original clearly shows only Tyrrell). The namechange in 1892 seems to have been something of a formality of first as they only used Curran in the 1901 census. (In fact, the name change was from Curran to Tyrrell, and not to Curran-Tyrrell, though they seem to have used the latter anyway).

It seems very probable that the name change in October 1892 had something to do with the death of Patrick Tyrrell of Annagh, Ballyhaunis, who died in July 1892:
http://www.willcalendars.nationalarchives.ie/reels/cwa/005014906/005014906_00481.pdf
Patrick Tyrrell's widow, Elizabeth, died in 1899 and the beneficiary was Maria Tyrrell, probably the same Maria Tyrell living with the Curran-Tyrrells in 1901 and 1911:
http://www.willcalendars.nationalarchives.ie/reels/cwa/005014912/005014912_00516.pdf