Author Topic: Charles Lawson b1869 England - death notice?  (Read 2317 times)

Offline Subaru

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Whitehaven harbour
    • View Profile
Charles Lawson b1869 England - death notice?
« on: Saturday 27 January 07 11:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I have a relative who moved to Kimberley/Johannesburg, South Africa some time after 1892.  Charles Lawson and his wife Elizabeth Jane (nee Hocking).  Charles was most probably a miner, as he was in 1881, I can't find him in 1891.  They had four children between 1892 and 1898, Mary was born in England, Sarah was born in Kimberley, Jno T was bornin 1896 in Kimberley.  Florence E was born in Johannesburg in 1898.

Elizabeth Jane is on the 1901 census in England, living or visiting with her parents in Cumberland, along with her children, but no Charles.  I can't find a death for him in this country, so I presume he died over there.

I would be very grateful for any help

Rosemary

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Lawson b1869 England - death notice?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 27 January 07 15:17 GMT (UK) »
Elizabeth Jane gives her status as married on the 1901 census (31st March). The Boer War dragged on until May 1902 having begun in 1899 when it looks like Elizabeth and her children returned to this country. Was her husband in the army? If he died fighting in the war in the British army his death will be in the overseas (military) section of the civil registration index.

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Subaru

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Whitehaven harbour
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 27 January 07 18:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Valda

I don't know anything about an army record.  I would have thought he would have remained a miner, but that could explain his non-existance on the 1891 census.  Did the family usually join them in those days though when they were in the army?

Rosemary

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 28 January 07 09:23 GMT (UK) »
The dates of the Boer War (when ordinary man volunteered for the army as opposed to career soldiers) was 1899-1902. Because of the war it looks like Elizabeth and her children returned to this country. Charles may have returned after the war, if the family remained in this country.
Have you checked the Scottish census for Charles in 1891?

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rutti tutti

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 28 January 07 12:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,
The first place to look when researching in South Africa are the National archives ( NAAIRS) This is a reference to what is contained in the archives. I found the death notice for Elizabeth Jane born Hocking in 1943 in the Transvaal. Her pre deceased spouse was Charles Lou(w)don Lawson. A search for him reveals that he died in 1911. if you apply to the archives you may (????) get a reply but your best bet is to ask a researcher to get copies of these death notices as they will give you a wealth of info.
Ruth
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Subaru

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Whitehaven harbour
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 28 January 07 17:45 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Ruth, that gives me a lot more to go on.  It looks like you were right about the Boer war Valda.  That must have been where he was while Jane was staying with her parents.

That means there could still be Lawsons related to me living in South Africa if she took them back again.  And more than likely they had more children when she returned!!

I did e-mail Naairs a long time ago about another relative James Ward who died out there in 1903.  I never heard back, but I think there was a backlog at the time.

Is it very pricey to get a researcher in SA to get copies?  If that's my only option, I might have to start saving first!!

Charles' mother's maiden name was Lowden.

Thank you both for your help

Rosemary

Offline rutti tutti

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 11 February 07 19:55 GMT (UK) »
hi there,
Please see this posting:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,211554.0.html
It may help you.
Ruth
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Subaru

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Whitehaven harbour
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 11 February 07 21:17 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Ruth

That's very helpfull

I'm sure I'll find plenty of other relatives that moved out there to the mines before I'm finished.  I have a few unsolved mysteries to go on.

Rosemary