Author Topic: William Jones and daughter Sarah  (Read 2701 times)

Offline ceri

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Jones and daughter Sarah
« on: Sunday 28 January 07 17:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi  I have been trying to find out information on my great-grandmother Sarah Rees nee Scott nee Jones.  Is there anyone connected to the family. Her parents were  William Jones, a Butcher and wife possibly Mary? in Merthyr Tydfil around 1842. They had a daughter Sarah Jones, born in Trallong/Llanwrtydd who married John Scott of Merthyr/Llanfabon who died young and Sarah married again to William Rees Innkeeper, Merthyr.
Sarah died 1890 in Merthyr.  In 1871 Sarah was the Head at the "Duffryn Arms" in Merthyr, I would be grateful for details of her parents and whether she had any brothers or sister. 

Offline bolttail

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: William Jones and daughter Sarah
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 06 September 08 16:12 BST (UK) »
With reference to your request for information on the family of Sarah Jones, born Trallong about 1823. Did you ever get any response? If you did, I would appreciate details.

I know nothing more than that posted by you.It's one of my many 'dead-ends'.

John and Sarah Scott were my great great grandparents, via Charles Scott and his marriage to Matilda Davies in 1879, and their daughter's (Sarah Beatrice) marriage to Benjamin Miles in 1889.

I have also been puzzled as to why Sarah,in the 1881 census, gave her place of birth as 'Llanwrtyd', and not 'Trallong' as before. Any knowledge?

Sorry I can't help you. Can yu help me, or are we both stuck?

Offline helsian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 May 09 13:06 BST (UK) »
First of all I must apologise for the long delay in replying. It was only just recently that I gone into the site. Up until now, you are the only one to respond and I appreciate that. You mention dead ends well I am real in the same position as you in that I still cannot make progress in finding Sarah's parents. However, I can tell you that Charles Scott (born abt 1837 was the brother of John (born abt 1825). They had other brothers and sisters.  Their parents were Robert Dodds Scott born abt. 1803 in Ancrum, Roxburgshire and died 11 March 1873 in Nelson, and Dinah Edwards born abt. 1802 Merthyr Tydfil and who died 28 Feb 1888.

John and Sarah married on 2 October 1842 at Ynysgau Chapel, Merthyr, His father Robert Scott was alive and so was her father William Jones (a butcher). They too had a large family: Charles, age 12 in 1861, George, Henry, Mary Dinah, and William.  I can't find her father anywhere but he was certainly in Merthyr when they got married.  It is a possibility that he lived in the area and was a travelling butcher or had a stall in the market place in Merthyr - the latter is more of a possibility.

As you probably already know both the Rees and Scott families were mainly licensed victuallers. The Rees family mainly in Merthyr and the Scott families in both Merthyr and surrounding areas. 

I could never understand why her birthplace was given on the census
as Trallong and Llanwrtydd - may'be boundary changes on which I am not very knowledgeable.  I did google up these places and I must admit Trallong looks interesting! It further intrigues me that William Rees married Sarah in Builth.

On other thing: I managed to track through Batch numbers and the IGI the following: 
There is a birth recorded of a Sarah Jones on 27 August 1822 and a christening on 13 September 1822 at Aber Llanvigan (Llanfeigan?)Independent Chapel, Llanfeigan  Brecon.  The parents were William Jones and Mary Jones. I have not yet followed this up.

Perhaps you have quite a lot of the information as above but it seems to me that you and I and quite a few others are stuck on Sarah's parentage.
If you manage to find out anything, meantime, please let me know. It looks as if you and I have met up with the same brick walls.  Gosh! there must be someone out there who will know the answer!

Once again I apologise for not getting back to you sooner.

Regards

Offline bolttail

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 05 December 09 15:46 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the information on Sarah Jones.
I note from your correspondence with Jere that you have her father, William Jones, as being born in Breconshire about 1794. May I ask where this information has come from?
I'm still very interested in anything you unearth re Sarah's origins.
I've got no further.

Offline helsian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 07 December 09 16:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bolttail

As Sarah was born in Trallong/Llanwrtyd we only assume that he was living in Breconshire and probably born there. Merthyr Library have tried to help but they could not find a William Jones a butcher on any Census there that fits the bill. At the time Sarah married Wm Rees in Builth we know that her father was deceased at the time.

On looking at the marriage certificate of William to Sarah we notice that one of the witnesses was a Thomas Price. I have managed to find an 1861 census of a Price family living at Llandeilo R Fan Breconshire. The head is Margaret Price at 55 a Widow age 57 a farmer of 73 acres born Llanwrtyd. Staying with them at the time of the Census was William Jones a butcher (blind) a Widower, born Llangammarch, Brecs. 1794. Llangammarch in the Civil Parish of Llandeilo R Fan. This could be Sarah's father. This was a possible lead given to me by another contact.

I have also managed to find a record of a death in Brecknock of  a William Jones in the Apr-May-June Quarter of 1866. Age at death 72, Dist. Brecknock, County.Breconshire/Powys Vol 11b page 79. This death was in the same year and just prior to the marriage of Wm Rees and Sarah.

I have written off for a copy of the death certificate in the hope that it will give us a lead. That is precisely as far as I have got. If anything more positive comes from this lead and then I will notify you and Jere.

In the meantime, please do tell me your connection with Sarah - it would be interesting to know. I am on the Rees side.

Regards

Offline rubens

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 30 January 10 22:24 GMT (UK) »
Robert dodds scott was my g-g-g-g-grandfather, descendin down the robert scott lineage.  His parents were William Scott and Elizabeth Riddell and I am attempting now to find their ancestors.  The story in our family has it that Robert's father was a steward on an estate and Robert walked cattle down through England then decided to try his luck in the growing town of Merthyr Tydfil.  Family lore has it that he strode down Merthyr High Street playing his bagpipes and Dinah was sat in her Mother's front parlour and anounced that was the man she would marry.  I have lots of infor of their life and their descendents as well as some very early photographs.

Offline helsian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 01 February 10 13:41 GMT (UK) »
What an interesting story re Robert Dodds Scott and wife Dinah and I thank you for that.

When I was researching the Scott side in order to arrive at when Sarah appeared on the scene, at the time I wondered about Dina and who her parents were, were they born in Merthyr etc etc but I could never come up with anything. 

When you say you have photographs, do you happen to have a photo of John Scott and one day it would be a miracle to find a photo of Sarah. My mother's sister when she died amongst her personal things were photos. Just a few of them were studio photographs with no names attached.  I know they are not on the Rees side and I wondered if one or two of them are photographs of the Scott's family who would have been known by my gt grandparents/grandparents who also lived in Merthyr and who were running the Narrow Gauge Inn at the same time as the Scotts were running their watering holes in Llanfabon, Troedyrhiw and places.  Whenever I look at a photo of my grandfather John William Rees standing outside the Narrow Gauge with son and daughter, I often wonder who the people were also included in the photo and if one of them could be one of the Scott's. They were living quite close with the George Scott who was running the Gt Western on the High Street in 1901.  So sad that John Scott died so young leaving Sarah with a big family. As you probably already know through other contacts on the Scott side, William Scott (born abt 1835) was in the American Civil War. He took part  in the Battle of Gettysburg. Sadly, he was killed at Smithfield, Virginia on 29 August 1864.

With regard to George Scott, there has been a query  that has been lying in my pending tray for simply ages and that is, do you know if he had been married before he married Mary.

If there is a photo you my care to share please let me know and you can email me it or them. If you would like to take a look at the photo of John and Sarah's son (John William Rees) taken outside the Narrow Gauge or one of two of the unnamed photos (mentioned above) then please let me know and I will email them to  you. As I said, there are only just a few of these photos. You never know, we could come up with a successful a'recognition' hit.

Good luck with tracing even further back on the Scott's side. I only know that Robert D Scott was born in Ancrum, Rosburgh in 1802 and that Dina was born in Merthyr in 1801. Nothing earlier than that.

Regards

Offline Lynda in Pa.

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 22 February 10 15:23 GMT (UK) »
Hello...
I am also a direct descendant of Robert Scott and would very much appreciate any info and photos you would be willing to share!

Offline BaileyBoo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 12 July 17 13:50 BST (UK) »
Robert dodds scott was my g-g-g-g-grandfather, descendin down the robert scott lineage.  His parents were William Scott and Elizabeth Riddell and I am attempting now to find their ancestors.  The story in our family has it that Robert's father was a steward on an estate and Robert walked cattle down through England then decided to try his luck in the growing town of Merthyr Tydfil.  Family lore has it that he strode down Merthyr High Street playing his bagpipes and Dinah was sat in her Mother's front parlour and anounced that was the man she would marry.  I have lots of infor of their life and their descendents as well as some very early photographs.

Hi, my g-g-g-grandfather is also Robert Dodds Scott. My paternal grandmother, born 1902, is daughter of William Thomas Scott (1844-1909), who is son of John Scott (1825-1857), who is son of Robert Dodds Scott. I would be grateful for any info, stories and pictures you have to share please.   :D