Author Topic: Globe Cemetery  (Read 57773 times)

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Globe Cemetery
« Reply #81 on: Sunday 28 January 18 13:42 GMT (UK) »
Have you found William's death record?

What was his occupation?

Offline Elizabethrobbins

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Sunday 28 January 18 16:07 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, but it is the writing.

Offline snowberry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Tuesday 26 June 18 13:46 BST (UK) »
Hello there,

I took a wander down to the Globe this morning & didn't get murdered! What a hidden gem! The council haven't mown it for a couple of years and so the grass is really long & it looks like a haven for wildlife. That said, the potential for falling on your arse is heightened  ::) I only met one dog walker down there, but I'm glad I went when I did. Too early for the junkies...
Are there any other 'derelict' cemeteries or kirkyards hereabouts that I can photograph? I know the one on the Dalziel estate, also the lovely old one at Stonehouse.
& if you were wondering, the doll in this  photo is Bella. We visit old places & then she tells their stories on Instagram  :)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Tuesday 26 June 18 13:49 BST (UK) »
Sorry, but it is the writing.
Try posting an extract here and see if someone can decipher it.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Tuesday 26 June 18 13:50 BST (UK) »
I am on Ancestry and will have a look for your William.
I have done all that you suggest, to no avail.
See
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=714261.0
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline GHeggen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Saturday 05 October 19 08:37 BST (UK) »
This post is exactly what I’ve been looking for; love the humor :)
I finally got round to visiting the cemetery this week and can happily report that my dad and I didn’t meet a single undesirable. We did however meet several friendly people out walking and enjoying the unusually sunny weather. We parked at the Our Lady of good aid school at 3pm just as the kids were getting out. The pathway behind the school isn’t difficult to find and it isn’t until several hundred meters further down into the trees that it becomes isolated. We crossed the little bridge over the Calder on the right hand side and then took the beautiful tree-lined pathway into the cemetery. What a beautiful, peaceful resting place the Globe is. I was looking for 5 family graves, but unfortunately didn’t find them. I did however enjoy the tranquillity of the setting and the thought of being close to where their final resting place is. I will upload the photos that I did take onto Find a grave and transcribe the ones that I can read.

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: Saturday 05 October 19 08:51 BST (UK) »
North Lanarkshire Heritage Centre has a lair plan so you should be able to locate the rough area of where your ancestors are buried

Offline GHeggen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: Saturday 05 October 19 09:04 BST (UK) »
I actually have the certificate with the lair details, JC lair 41.  I think I still managed to look in the wrong place when I was there. ??? Will have to go back next time I’m in Scotland and spend more time there. I was looking in the centre area and around the edges of the graveyard, didn’t have time to look at the graves on the slope at the back and I suspect that is exactly where I should have been looking :P
If anyone who lives locally reads this thread then I’m looking for a stone erected by Marshall and Mary Garland for their children James Garland d. 7th June age 6, Margaret Jane d. 6th June 1903 age 12, Annie d. 7th Nov 1904 age 1. Marshall is also there d. 3rd Feb 1926 and his wife Mary Garland
d. 25th March 1941.

Offline snowberry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: Saturday 05 October 19 09:22 BST (UK) »
I actually have the certificate with the lair details, JC lair 41.  I think I still managed to look in the wrong place when I was there. ??? Will have to go back next time I’m in Scotland and spend more time there. I was looking in the centre area and around the edges of the graveyard, didn’t have time to look at the graves on the slope at the back and I suspect that is exactly where I should have been looking :P
If anyone who lives locally reads this thread then I’m looking for a stone erected by Marshall and Mary Garland for their children James Garland d. 7th June age 6, Margaret Jane d. 6th June 1903 age 12, Annie d. 7th Nov 1904 age 1. Marshall is also there d. 3rd Feb 1926 and his wife Mary Garland
d. 25th March 1941.

Have you put a request out on Find a Grave? That might reach more people.