Author Topic: Globe Cemetery  (Read 57632 times)

Offline gerryfarrell

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Globe Cemetery
« Reply #27 on: Friday 08 August 08 20:13 BST (UK) »
Sue,

Is the 3xG David Fraser you mention this one........................

David Frazer married to Helen Wilson who died in Ravenscraig (Wishaw) 04/11/1864 aged 61
Death record lists his parents as Joeseph Frazer (Coalminer) & Margaret Frazer (Sneddon)
His death is register by Joseph Frazer his son.

If this is your David then PM me your email and I will forward you the copy of the record.

Gerry
Farrell / Mcpolan / Devlin / Flood / Kelly/ McGovern/ McCormick
Letham / Leatham / Cattanach/ ODonnell/ BoyleRoss/ McLeod
McAnaw/McInaw/McNay/ Finn/ Eliott
Pollock / Hyslop/ Elder/ Renfrew/ Hart/ Brydon

Motherwell / Anderson / Tradeston / Govan/ Bridgegate/ Aberdeen / Old Machar/ Lanarkshire/ Leadhills/ Penpont/ Muirkirk

1st Royals

Offline suec45

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 11 August 08 15:22 BST (UK) »
Gerry just thought i would let you know the village my Nan & granddad grew up in was BothwellHaugh i got an email to day with a news article of my GGrans 100 birthday and how life was like what work she did as she was left a widow at a young age 36 it is amazing  the things we can find out and amazing how you lot can find even more. a big thanks for all your help

Sue
Cassidy (Stirling & Ireland ) Thorassie(Canada)
Cassles.(Ayr) Wilson(Midlotion )
Hughes(England) Hannah.(Ayr)   Sinclair's(Stiling&clackmannan) Boon(Ayr)
Fraser. (Lanark) Kerr (Midlotion)
Docherty (Dunbarton) Scobbie (Clakmannan) Arichbald (Perth)
Wightman( Lanark) Connor (Ireland) Ryan (Ireland)  Pride(Lanark) Todd (Lanark) Fury (Ieland) Forsyth(Lanark) (Finley(Lanark) Fisher(Stirling) Sommerville(Stirling)

mandyfahey

« Reply #29 on: Sunday 05 October 08 07:21 BST (UK) »
Hi
I have had a great help from Motherwell Heritage Centre in Motherwell. The assistant found the lair number of my great grandparents buriel area. Unfortunately on a visit I could not find the grave.

I have also just been given by a second cousin the certificate for the lair bought in 1892 by my Great Great Grandfather. My next quest is to go back to the heritage centre and find out if my GGGrandfather and GGGrandmother are also buried in the lair.
So far I have William Alexander, sarah Clarke (Alexander) and their son Stanley Alexander.

If anyone comes across Lair 110b, can you let me know?

Good luck to all

M

Offline gerryfarrell

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 05 October 08 10:46 BST (UK) »
Hi M,

Glad to hear you had success in finding the lair details you were looking for at the Globe, The database they have there is a massive help. As you'll have seen the graveyard is in a sorry state after years of neglect and vandalism. Looking at your photograph I would reckon the lair sits to the righthand side of the top ash path. If you have a look at PIC5 on here you'll see a stone which looks like a marble pillar this looks very similar to the one behind your grave in your photograph and is also facing the correct way to be looking at the factories in the distance. The best way to actually find your grave is to contact Ian at Airbles Cemetery as he knows tha layout and is very helpful and would probably meet you there to assist you.

Gerry
Farrell / Mcpolan / Devlin / Flood / Kelly/ McGovern/ McCormick
Letham / Leatham / Cattanach/ ODonnell/ BoyleRoss/ McLeod
McAnaw/McInaw/McNay/ Finn/ Eliott
Pollock / Hyslop/ Elder/ Renfrew/ Hart/ Brydon

Motherwell / Anderson / Tradeston / Govan/ Bridgegate/ Aberdeen / Old Machar/ Lanarkshire/ Leadhills/ Penpont/ Muirkirk

1st Royals

mandyfahey

« Reply #31 on: Monday 06 October 08 07:32 BST (UK) »
Gerry
Thanks. I have walked around the area so many times, I think that the head stone must be missing.
Another visit and contact with Ian I agree is the best way to go.

Although all points to lair 110b, when I visited the Motherwell Heritage Centre the man looked at a map of the cemetary and could not find Alexander on the map of lair names and numbers, but my ancestors are definately buried there, according to the certificate, their (Motherwell Heritage Centre) CD  and my Great Aunt.

Thankl you again
M

Offline mags c

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 12 April 09 18:31 BST (UK) »
i eventually founf the globe cemetary.  If you know Motherwell go into Milton Street  from Muir Street drive past the post office and head for an area lnown locally as the Stadium.  You can park your car and walk right across the grass area untill you come to a path.  It looks a bit doggy but if you follow the path downhill you come to a bridge where you have to turn right just follow thi road and it leads you to the Globe Cemetary.  I would wear Wellies if you are thinking of visiting.  the locals use as a dirt bike track.  hope this helps .Mags C
MaAdams, Preston Ireland,
Preston Flannigan Cunningham Craigneuk, Motherwell
Murphy Hutchinston Glasgow
Salmon Paisley
Maher Tipperary, Ireland . Maryhill Glasgow.

Offline MuircroftHenderson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 18 September 09 05:51 BST (UK) »
Duckman, I am searching for Muircrofts from a long distance away.  My family connection is Through Helen Muircroft Henderson, daughter of Charles Muircroft and Jessie Cairns.  I've noticed your list includes both Muircroft and Cairns.  Helen (Nell) came to America with her husband, James Henderson and 6 children while pregnant with her 7th child.  She had a total of 11.  My mother in law is her youngest, and knows nothing of mother nor her father's families.  She is in her 80's and I would like to give her this information.  Can we communicate.  I am new to this site and not sure how to directly speak to you.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thank you. 

Thanks Gerry, I did manage to find my way into the Globe Cem, but did not find any of my family, [Muircrofts] although from death records I know some of them are in there.  Most of the stones had been vandalised or pushed over, face down.  Did manage to get some photo's.  Will have to try and get through to the Heritage Centre to look through their records sometime.
My mothers name is Farrell, she came from the Law. Her father came from Penrith and Grandfather from Baltinglass in Co. Wicklow.
Henderson, Muircroft, Cairns, Sneddon, Downing

Offline lesleyrichy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 08 August 10 21:51 BST (UK) »
Hi

Looking for ancestors I recently visited the Globe Cemetery in Motherwell, although I didn't find what I was looking for I took pictures of some of the remaining headstones and transcriptions.  I'll make a list and if anyone is interested would post it on the site or send it to them personally.

Jean
hy did u find any of the dumbar or robertson family   i went ther today n it was ghastly so run down my great grandmothers family r buried ther its only a small stone???

Offline lesleyrichy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 08 August 10 21:54 BST (UK) »
hya did u find any of the dunbar or rorertson family>??? its only a small stone it near the round bit in the middle i went ther today n we cant find it its my grandmothers family its such a state the grave yard so shocking  it be fab if u had any details xx