Author Topic: Matchett - Seagoe and TARTARAGHAN Parishes, Portadown  (Read 4217 times)

Offline Raven-Anne

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Matchett - Seagoe and TARTARAGHAN Parishes, Portadown
« on: Wednesday 31 January 07 10:10 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone help... Looking for information about
Richard Matchett and Alice Baxter, they were married in TARTARAGHAN Parish on the 18/01/1827. They had 4 children that I am aware of..

Richard Robert Matchett b Nov 1829
Sarah Anne Matchett b. 1832
William Matchett b1842
Eliza Jane Matchett b1847

Richard Robert married Rachel Young 1854..
They moved to Scotland between 1861 and 1869..

I can find them all in the Census of 1871 in Dundee in Scotland. I am looking for any infomation about them before this time... while they were still resident in Armagh.

Thank you in advance for any info

Raven.... 
Matchett - Angus, Ayrshire and Co Armagh NI
Dick        - Kilmarnock, Ayrshire
McFarland - Co Derry, NI
Russell     - Peebleshire
Koehler/Kohler  - East Prussia, Germany
Nairn  - Ayrshire
Young  - Ayrshire.

Offline aljepeka

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Matchett - Seagoe and TARTARAGHAN Parishes, Portadown
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 28 February 07 02:02 GMT (UK) »
I was at Milltown Parish church today in Tartaraghan area and whilr researhing my tree  Matchett was married to one of them. William John married to an Mary Ann Freeburn in 1871. His father was James. They might be connected to your line. Good Luck with your research....
HARVEY-Drumnagoon/Seagoe/Portadown
McMURRAY,GIBSON,FITZSIMMONS-Crossmacaughley/Crossmacahilly/Moyraverty/Portadown
WOODS-Knocknamuckley/Portadown
CARDWELL,MORELAND-Dromore/Dromara/Waringstown
BOWEN-Tipperary
FREEBURN-Tartaraghan/Drumcree/Derrylard/Portadown

Offline Archivist_47

• :
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Matchett and Long
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 February 17 12:15 GMT (UK) »
Thomas Matchett b 1855 Ireland (Armagh) married Sarah Long b 1860 Ireland (Armagh). I know nothing of Tom's family and only that Sarah's mother was Jane b 1805 in Ireland (Armagh).

The couple ended up in Middlesbrough where they had 6 children including Margaret who married Thomas Arthur Lenham in 1911.

Has anyone got any information on these Matchetts from Ireland?
Gordon, Foster, Gorrill

Online eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 23 February 17 16:17 GMT (UK) »
In the 1891 Census, they are in Thornby, North Yorkshire, indicating that oldest child (listed with them), William, aged 13, was born in Co. Durham. The other two boys were born in Yorkshire.  Do you have the birth records for all three boys which may provide more info.  Info from 1881 Census shows Jane, the mother-in-law, aged 76, and a sister-in-law named Mary, aged 39, a dressmaker.  Wonder if Mary ever gets married and if her marriage record may provide more info.

Online eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 23 February 17 16:24 GMT (UK) »
Nevermind about Mary as I see she is still living with the family in the 1911 census, altho' she's aged well, as she is only noted as being 50!  Actually, it indicates that she was born in Wellbrook, Co. Down, which is a lead for sure.

Thomas Matchett married Sarah Long in Stockton, County Durham in the Quarter Ending December 1876. Getting a copy of the marriage record should provide you with their fathers' names.

Offline Archivist_47

• :
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 23 February 17 20:23 GMT (UK) »
I don't have any records for any of these people - Matchetts or Longs. I'm flying blind as I don't have money for certificates. What you've found out us excellent thank you. I'll follow up the Co Down lead and see where that gets me.
Gordon, Foster, Gorrill

Online eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 23 February 17 20:28 GMT (UK) »
Treat yourself and spend the 9 pounds for the marriage record -- without it, you will be just blindly running around as the number of Matchetts in Co. Armagh is immense.

Offline Armagh_Matchetts_Barnetts

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 27 January 24 13:47 GMT (UK) »
Richard Matchett and Alice Baxter are my great great great grandparents. Richard Matchett's name is listed on the attached copy of his daughter Sarah Ann Matchett's marriage certificate. I have a certified copy as well. Here is an excerpt from my short story entitled, "The Allen's and Barnett's of the Merrimack River Valley of Massachusetts":

"Richard Matchett (b. 1805, d. 1873) and Alice Baxter (b. 1804, d. 1874) also had strong connections to Scotland.  Mr. and Mrs. Richard and Alice Matchett moved to Dundee, Angus, Scotland on the east coast of Scotland at left in the 1860s. Evidence in the genealogical record show the Matchett’s move to Dundee, Scotland was one of employment and economic interest.  At that time, Dundee was the world’s center for textile processing for hundreds of years, including the second half of the 1800s and was known as the world capital for jute processing and manufacturing.   Jute is a long, soft, shiny bast fiber that can be spun into coarse, strong threads. It is produced from flowering plants in the genus Corchorus, which is in the mallow family Malvaceae and used to produce textile products such as jute rugs. Matchett relatives during the era of the late 1800s have been traced to specific addresses in Dundee, all located on either 7, 13 or 15 Seafield Lane - in very close proximity to the waterfront where work in the jute industry took place."

Offline Jon_ni

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 28 January 24 23:20 GMT (UK) »
Back in 2017 irishgenealogy dot ie was new and marriages for 1854 were not online, only available from GRONI.
Now they are all there, your image being https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1854/09474/5433449.pdf
The certified copy from GRONI will differ slightly as it is from the original bound ledger with pre-printed entry numbers and actual signatures or marks. However, the image above is a certified copy of an entry per the bottom, just as much as the other one you hold.