Author Topic: Watch Maker  (Read 24846 times)

Offline V70PDB

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Watch Maker
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 23 February 08 21:31 GMT (UK) »
Hello all. I'm new on these pages. I am looking for watchmakers in Clerkenwell called Naylor. I have one in my Family. Born Clerkenwell 1820. I have nothing before him. I have no address for him either. He moved to Coventry.

Liverpool, Clerkenwell and Coventry were the three main watchmaking centres. I believe his family were from Liverpool as the name Naylor is grouped around there, moreover one of his daughters was born there. You can find out about this Naylor and the watchmakers of Coventry here...

http://www.thecoventrypages.net/section.asp?catid=87&docid=76

Hope to hear from somebody as I have hit a brickwall.

Offline Funky Phantom

• RootsChat Extra
  • Non nobis...
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 30 December 08 10:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi! I am interested in finding out more about Langford THURBIN who I believe was a clockmaker (?). I see in the thread that there are a lot of LANGFORD's who are clockmakers and wondered if he got his first name and his access to this profession through a connection to this family. Any leads about this person would be most welcome :)
THURBIN and variants, COOPER from Ireland (Dublin) pre 1860

Offline Graham Whitehead

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Thursday 15 January 09 22:21 GMT (UK) »
Hello all. I'm new on these pages. I am looking for watchmakers in Clerkenwell called Naylor. I have one in my Family. Born Clerkenwell 1820. I have nothing before him. I have no address for him either. He moved to Coventry.

Liverpool, Clerkenwell and Coventry were the three main watchmaking centres. I believe his family were from Liverpool as the name Naylor is grouped around there, moreover one of his daughters was born there. You can find out about this Naylor and the watchmakers of Coventry here...

http://www.thecoventrypages.net/section.asp?catid=87&docid=76

Hope to hear from somebody as I have hit a brickwall.

I too have watchmakers from Clerkenwell in the 1820 period named ATKINS.  They seem to havebeen in Coventry at least 100 years before but three children who were born in Clerkenwell were baptised at St John, Coventry.  I am interested in this link between Clerkenwell and Coventry and wonder whether it had to do with apprenticeship.   If you note my Atkins especially Edward Atkins in your research please let me know.  Thank you.
Warwicks: Whitehead, Allcock, Atkins, Bayley, Beacham, Bilson, Brooks, Cleaver,Farmer,Gilks, Lucas, Kendall, Oliver, Pickard, Shilton, Underhill.
Lincs: Kendall, Clark, Morley,Vincent, Withers, Barlow,Dawson.
Leics. Vincent
Notts: Bardill, Bugg, Morley, Winfield
Dublin: Brooks, Flood.

Offline Reg Volk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 03 November 10 16:52 GMT (UK) »
Looking for ANY info on Samuel Rawlins, watchmaker, England/Ireland.  circa 1800-1900

Glad for any lookups in books mentioned.

Pls. contact (*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline Joy Dean

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Thursday 02 December 10 14:01 GMT (UK) »
I have just found a baptism for a Robert Brooks -
Robert of Robert Brooks Clock maker and Sarah born 1 April baptised 18 (?) April St Luke Old Street, Islington.

Would there be any way of finding out more about Robert Brooks the Clock maker?

Offline planthunter

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Thursday 28 July 16 21:48 BST (UK) »
Special reference for Graham Whitehead
My great great grandfather, John Atkins, was a watchmaker in Coventry Spon Street. I have no references, just the say-so of my father, ex-city librarian of Coventry. I have a Pocket Watch handed down through the family, which is hallmarked  T R A - but again, can give no further detail.

Jon Atkins

Offline Oneday

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday 30 May 17 10:32 BST (UK) »
I posted a post in the Waterford Ireland area but will now add it here.

I'm looking for any information about a watch/clockmaker/jeweller.

The name is Patrick Hendrick/Hanrick.  He was born somewhere between 1800 & 1850's approx as he was married in 1864 the first time where it listed watch/clockmaker as his profession.

His father was John Hanrick & I have managed to find a John Hendrick/Hanrick who was a clockmaker in the uk.  I'm not sure if they are related or is just a coincidence.

Any information about either of these people would be great.

I've also read an old post by poppymilly who has a Hendrick that is a clockmaker - a possible potential relative if I could find a connection.