Author Topic: Hodson/Hobson  (Read 1160 times)

Offline C_Bishop

• RootsChat Veteran
  • 2x Gt Grandmother, Catherine M Turner
    • View Profile
Hodson/Hobson
« on: Saturday 03 February 07 02:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I am trying to find possible living relatives that i have just learnt came to Australia from England. I know of a Great Aunt whose maiden name was Hodson or Hobson (unsure which one :-\). Could possibly be a brother of this aunt as well in Australia.

I also have a gt uncle (the aboves 1st cousin) who moved to Tasmania. His last name would be Henwood.

I think they would have come to Australia after 1960.

I  need to make contact with this family as they are my only living link to the Harris/Henwood family that i know of.

My Gt Aunt had an older 1/2 sister named Jean Henwood (maiden) who is my grandmother.

This may be a long shot  ;D but i am a bit stuck as to how to find them. As i don't know my gt aunts married name and just this morning i found out there was a relative in Tasmania.

So if there are any people out there with Hodsons/Hobsons or some Harris/Henwoods in their family please contact me!

For any more info on this you can PM me.

Thank you
Cat :D
Bishop:  Sussex, New Zealand<br />Henwood:  England<br />Harris: London; Smith, Leicestershire <br />Chandler: Sussex<br />Truelove: Surrey, New Zealand<br />Blackburn: Lancashire<br />Carlton: Australia, NZ, Bristol, Ireland <br />Foster:NZ, Queensland, Yorkshire,<br />Marshall: Yorkshire, Lancashire <br />Cannon:Ireland to NZ<br />Turner:England<br />Farquharson: Scotland, Australia<br />Durward: Scotland<br <br />Johnston: Australia, Cumberland, Dumfries <br />Gearon: Ireland,NZ

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hodson/Hobson
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 04 February 07 00:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cat

Also a long shot but....there are five Henwood and eight Hodson entries in

http://www.whitepages.com.au  in Tasmania.  Perhaps a letter to each.

Cheers
cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 04 February 07 00:15 GMT (UK) »
What were your great uncle ...Henwood's given names?
Did he also come after 1960?
How old might he have been?

Just trying to get all the clues possible
Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline C_Bishop

• RootsChat Veteran
  • 2x Gt Grandmother, Catherine M Turner
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 04 February 07 01:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cando and Sue.

A letter to each may be a good idea, i will have a look at those white pages, thanks.  :D

Sue, i'm a little unsure of whose still alive as i'm only 23 my gt uncle could still be, so i don't really want to give his name here, but his father was Doug Henwood. Doug informed my grandmother, Jean, sometime between 1960-1980 that he was going to Tasmania (from England) to see his son, he mentioned it to her as he was hoping to pop over to New Zealand to visit her.
This uncle would be between 70-90 years old by now, maybe he has passed away but since i don't know that i would like to keep his name from a public board  :) His father Doug was born around 1920s sometime in the London area. He was the brother of my grandmothers mother.

I know this is a long shot, but i thought i had to at least try with all the people with family knowledge here, someone may be linked! May have some luck if i write some letters!  :D Wouldn't be a problem if i knew the 1/2 sisters married name lol.

Thank you both  ;D
Cat
Bishop:  Sussex, New Zealand<br />Henwood:  England<br />Harris: London; Smith, Leicestershire <br />Chandler: Sussex<br />Truelove: Surrey, New Zealand<br />Blackburn: Lancashire<br />Carlton: Australia, NZ, Bristol, Ireland <br />Foster:NZ, Queensland, Yorkshire,<br />Marshall: Yorkshire, Lancashire <br />Cannon:Ireland to NZ<br />Turner:England<br />Farquharson: Scotland, Australia<br />Durward: Scotland<br <br />Johnston: Australia, Cumberland, Dumfries <br />Gearon: Ireland,NZ

Offline gennig

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 04 February 07 03:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cat

You could also try the National Archives and see if the immigration details are listed.

www.naa.gov.au

Go to Record search.

Search as a guest, there are 203 henwood hits, but you will be able to narrow it down with a first name.

Cheers

Genni
All census look up transcriptions are Crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Surnames:
Armstrong, Gray, Greco, Lambden, Le Busque, Beaton, Carron, Pitt, Gould
Areas:
Victoria, Tasmania, Hampshire, Berkshire, Yorkshire, Fermanagh, Glamorgan