Author Topic: Kitty McShane/Dublin burial...  (Read 11108 times)

Offline Old_Mother_Riley

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Kitty McShane/Dublin burial...
« on: Monday 05 February 07 09:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone.

I am trying to locate the last resting place of Katherine "Kitty" McShane. She was born Catherine McShane in Dublin in on 19th May 1897, the fourth child of Daniel and Kate McShane. She died in London on 24th March 1964.

She was famous for playing the daughter in the double act of Old Mother Riley (played by her husband Arthur Lucan). They were extremely popular in the UK and Ireland between the 1930s and early 1950s, playing the music halls, making numerous film and radio recordings. I run the only website solely dedicated to the life and career of the duo....

http://www.peterwilkinson.karoo.net/omrkitty.htm

Kitty was a Catholic. I have a feeling she may well be buried in Glasnevin Cemetery in Dublin. Any help in tracing her whereabouts would be much appreciated. She could be buried as McShane/Lucan/ Towle.

OMR

Offline Marie M

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Kitty McShane/Dublin burial...
« Reply #1 on: Monday 05 February 07 12:20 GMT (UK) »
http://pages.britishlibrary.net/mikepymm/old_mother_riley.htm

See 3rd paragraph under "true Tragic Comedy". It says there she is buried ina grave behind her late husbands, in Hull Cemetry.

Offline Old_Mother_Riley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 05 February 07 12:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi MM

Thanks for the reply.

Sadly she isn't. That was one of the first avenues I pursued. The source you quote is not correct in their assertion.

I have checked with the cemetery record people in Hull and also had responses from others that have actually checked the physicality with no success.

My gut feeling is that she is in Dublin where she was born.

OMR

Offline Marie M

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 05 February 07 16:13 GMT (UK) »
You could try contacting Dublin Cemetries or Dublin newspapers.  I know I  found a link here somewhere which had listings for Glasnevin Cemetry.  I don't know where it was if anyone can help.

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 05 February 07 16:35 GMT (UK) »
When I saw Kitty McShane on the boards I thought  Old Mother Riley, and it was,  I loved Old Mother Riley!!
stoke on trent. carson,wain,leese,shaw,key,scalley,mitchell,<br />james,<br /> nottingham,pollard,grice,<br />derbyshire,vallands,turton,howe.<br /> new zealand,turton<br /> canada,carson.<br />australia,mitchell,scalley,<br />

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 05 February 07 16:41 GMT (UK) »
stoke on trent. carson,wain,leese,shaw,key,scalley,mitchell,<br />james,<br /> nottingham,pollard,grice,<br />derbyshire,vallands,turton,howe.<br /> new zealand,turton<br /> canada,carson.<br />australia,mitchell,scalley,<br />

Offline linda burch

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 09 August 13 14:15 BST (UK) »
im a neice of kitty mcshane, my aunt whos teresa mcshane said shes not buried in glasnevin. she is trying to find out. my mothers maiden name is kitty mc shane. il get back as soon as i know

Offline mikebro

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 09 August 13 16:56 BST (UK) »
Glasnevin Cemetry records are searchable at http://www.glasnevintrust.ie/genealogy/

No record for a McShane for 1964 (+/-3 years).

If you do get a hit, you can buy the transcript for €3 or an extanded transcript for €5 which would give details of anyone also interred in the same plot.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 09 August 13 17:53 BST (UK) »
according to the 1939 register of electors donald towle lived in pearse st he dosent seem to be buried in glasnevin either,perhaps mt gerome?