Author Topic: John Rennie ship - London to Queensland in 1873  (Read 17150 times)

Offline DCS

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Rennie ship - London to Queensland in 1873
« on: Monday 05 February 07 23:12 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone have someone in their history who travelled on the 'John Rennie' ship from November 1872 - February 1873 from Plymouth to Queensland? 

Regards,

Diana
Speller (Thaxted, Prittlewell, West Ham), Thompson (East Peckham, Romford), Wright (Gt Marlow, Romford, Dagenham, Queensland Australia), Cutler (Herts), Channer (High Wycombe), Baker (Romford, Ilford, Stratford)

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Rennie ship - London to Queensland in 1873
« Reply #1 on: Monday 05 February 07 23:19 GMT (UK) »
This link might give you some information

http://www.archives.qld.gov.au/research/index/immigration.asp
Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DCS

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 February 07 21:02 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Sue,
I forgot to thank you for posting that link.  I was wondering if anyone has an actual list of passengers and the area they came from as I have a complete log of the voyage to Australia from England written by my ancestor.  I think they would be very interested to read an actual account of life on board the John Rennie - which landed in 1873.

Diana
Speller (Thaxted, Prittlewell, West Ham), Thompson (East Peckham, Romford), Wright (Gt Marlow, Romford, Dagenham, Queensland Australia), Cutler (Herts), Channer (High Wycombe), Baker (Romford, Ilford, Stratford)

Offline FishMan

• RootsChat Member
  • Holiday Smiles
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 10 August 11 04:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Diana,

I am helping a descendant of James Henry Uren and Catherine Uren (nee Mill), who were on that voyage, with their family tree. They had an infant son also named James with them on the ship and it is not quite clear whether he survived the voyage. A copy of your ancestor's log of the voyage would be wonderful.

Would you like me to get you a passenger list from the State Archives or do you already have it?

Regards,

Andrew

FISHER (Cheshire, Lancashire, Essex, Australia)
BURNS (Lancashire)
SYMES & SCOTT (Devon, Lancashire)
MCCALLUM (Midlothian, Malta, Kent & Dublin)
GARDINER (Midlothian, Ireland, Malta)
KRUSE (Denmark, Australia)
MCINNES (Argyll, Cheshire, London, Australia)
MCINTOSH (Avoch, Nairn, Australia)
COULL (Banffshire)

LEWIS (Herefordshire, Australia)
COLES (Oxfordshire, Australia)
STUFFINS (Huntingdonshire, Cambridgeshire)
JASPER & JUKES (Worcestershire)
NAPIER (Ireland, Australia)

Offline SherlockBones

• RootsChat Veteran
  • today is the beginning of the future of yesterday
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 10 August 11 23:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Diana,

I am helping a descendant of James Henry Uren and Catherine Uren (nee Mill), who were on that voyage, with their family tree. They had an infant son also named James with them on the ship and it is not quite clear whether he survived the voyage. A copy of your ancestor's log of the voyage would be wonderful.

Andrew

James appears to have died on the voyage out [29th Nov 1872] as evidenced by his death registration at QLD BDM - 1873/M904. The 'M' signifies a marine death eg he died on the voyage.

Andrew and Diana, these people are distant rellies of mine so any info you may have would also be greatly appreciated. Looking forward to your contact.

Jon
AUSTRALIA WAS ALWAYS DESTINED TO BE A GREAT COUNTRY. AFTER ALL WE HAD THE WORLD'S BEST JUDGES SELECTING ITS INHABITANTS.

Offline Linda50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 10 April 12 17:17 BST (UK) »
I was wondering if anyone has an actual list of passengers and the area they came from as I have a complete log of the voyage to Australia from England written by my ancestor.  I think they would be very interested to read an actual account of life on board the John Rennie - which landed in 1873.

Diana

Hello Diana,
I have two Ancestors who arrived in Australia on board the John Rennie on 16 Feb 1873.  I would really appreciate a copy of your log if it is still available.
Thank you and Best Wishes,
Linda

Offline DCS

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 10 April 12 18:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Linda,

Which two passengers were they?  Send me your email and I will send you the diary.  It's fantastic.

Diana

Offline Linda50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 11 April 12 03:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Diana,

My Ancestors names were William and Susan Bright.  They came from Dorset in England.  As yet I still don't know their reason for coming, I can only assume they were hoping for a better life in the new country.

I haven't worked out yet how to send my email address to you - I've seen on here that we're not supposed to type it in this box.  Do you have any suggestions?

Thank you and Best Wishes once again,

Linda

Offline Linda50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 11 April 12 04:00 BST (UK) »
Hello again Diana,

I've just been reading about the Personal Message system, I will give that a try. 

If you don't mind me asking, who were your relatives on the voyage?

Looking forward to hearing from you,

Linda.