Author Topic: Looking for Great Granny  (Read 3689 times)

Offline tyr

• RootsChat Senior
  • Ted
    • View Profile
Looking for Great Granny
« on: Tuesday 06 February 07 04:28 GMT (UK) »
Good afternoon

I am looking, without any success for my great-grandmother.

My grandmother, Catherine Emma Louise Issit(t) was born in March 1896.  Her birth certificate gives her parents as Charles Issitt and Emma Louisa nee Wright.

I have Charles’ birth certificate (parents Charles and Catherine nee Clarke), born 1855, St Pancras. I have his death certificate for 14.11.1899 – he died in St Pancras workhouse.  I have him on census records to 1861 but not on the 1871, 1881 or 1891.

Her mother!!! I have her death certificate for November 1902 in St Pancras with a recorded age of 42.  She had "remarried"? James Kendall.  I cannot find her marriages to Charles Issitt or James Kendall, I cannot obtain a birth certificate because her name is quite common and I have no details of her birth.  According to the 1901 census (where she is recorded as the wife of Jim “Kennell” and living with their daughter Kate) she is 35 and born in London.

When her mother died my grandmother was put in an orphanage.   I have written to the order that managed the orphanage on two occasions thinking they may have information and have received no reply (I sent money the first time and reply paid coupons the second time).   I have looked at the BDM indexes on Ancestry.   Some of the above information, like that about James Kendall,  has come from a letter that my grandmother had from the Greater London Council when she was looking for her birth details.  The convent had changed her christian names and she was recorded under her stepfathers name.

I would really like to find out about my great-grandmother.  Has anyone got any ideas of where I should look next? 

Kind regards
Jill
Strathalbyn
South Australia
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk uk

1700 - 1850 (Norfolk, Suffolk, Cambridgeshire): RICHES, BOND, MONEY, FOSTER, POTTER, MOBS. COPELAND
1750 - > (Devon, Hampshire) HUTTON, LONGMAN
STEED from Kent
PERRETT from Wiltshire

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Great Granny
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 February 07 05:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jill  :)

Have you found any of the family on the 1901 census?

Prue

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 February 07 05:57 GMT (UK) »
D'oh!  Sorry - just realised you've already mentioned that you have her on the 1901 with step-dad and mum.  :-[ :-[ :-[

Offline tyr

• RootsChat Senior
  • Ted
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 February 07 07:14 GMT (UK) »
Hello Prue
I have three sources of information for Emma Louisa - 1st on my grandmother's birth certificate which gives her the maiden name of Wright, secondly the 1901 which confirms her relationship with James Kendall and thirdly the death certificate.  I presume that she could have just lived with Charles Issit and James Kendall without actually marrying them. She died of alcholic poisoning.  She would have been in her mid thirties when she had my grandmother so could well have been married before that as well.
Kind regards
Jill

1700 - 1850 (Norfolk, Suffolk, Cambridgeshire): RICHES, BOND, MONEY, FOSTER, POTTER, MOBS. COPELAND
STEED from Kent
PERRETT from Wiltshire

Offline hilbury

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Sawyer, Day, Richardson, Blake
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 07 February 07 21:32 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jill,

Can you please give us the census reference details for the 1901 records that you have Emma on.
Also the 1861 census where you have Charles...

Thanks
Hilary
Alworthy, Blake, Burt, Clulow, Cooper, Davies, Day, De Hove/Van Hove, Farrell, Groves, Jenkins, Johnson, Jupp, Lake, Nockles, Richardson, Sawyer, Smith, Stubbings, Williamson

<br />Census information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline tyr

• RootsChat Senior
  • Ted
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 07 February 07 23:26 GMT (UK) »
Hello Hilary

The 1901 reference is RG13/135 page 47
Jim Kennell, Emma and Kate.  Someone has entered a correction to the record which is NOT correct.  They are saying this is Jim Issitt and is is not.  Kate (my grandmother Catherine) is Jim's step daughter.  He is shown as Kennell but on a letter regarding the St Pancras workhouse he is referred to as James Kendall.

The 1861 reference isRG9/132 page 34.  My great grandfather Charles aged 5 with his his father Charles and family. 

Kind regards
Jill
Strathalbyn
South Australia

STEED from Kent
PERRETT from Wiltshire

Offline regross

• RIP 16th November 2012
  • Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • paper doll fashionista
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 26 May 07 10:02 BST (UK) »
Might
James Kendall/Kennell and James Issitt be one in the same??

It was not unusual for people to use alternate surnames to avoid bailiffs, police or family memebrs!!!

Kendall may have been James' mother's maiden name!!!

My great grandmother marreid ans Sarah Verinder.  This was not her birth name which was Chilcott. She even listed her father as George Verinder and not George Chilcott!!!! (She was under age)

Her children's birth registrations all have her correct name.

Don't throw outthe idea without looking at its real possibilities.

Robyn in Wodonga Australia
The following families and their Australian decendents:
Abbott, Barnard, Clarke, Inward, Lanfear, Rutter,Spencer:Middlesex
Greenaway:Cornwall
Edney, Godwin/Goodwin, Gullett:Hampshire;
Gullett:Devon
Emms:39th Regiment of Foot 1810-1832
Gordon:Scotland
Arnold, Morton:Ireland
Davies:Wales
Olcorn:Cumberland
Osborne:Staffordshire
Harrington:Kent
&
Gross: Tullau Wurtmemburg Germany

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 27 May 07 22:07 BST (UK) »
Okay, 1861, as you say:
address, 9 Bryan Place, St. Mary's Islington
Charles Issitt, 30, compositor
Katherine, 27
Charles, 5
George, 3
Ann, 1

Charles appears to have died, aged about 62, in Pancras in 1890 (freebmd).  I can't find him on 1871 or 1881 either, or any of the family!   :-\  What troublesome folks!  Of course it is a name that would be easy to mistranscribe, I'd imagine.  I tried having a look in Pancras and in St. Mary Islington using just first names etc but no luck so far.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline tyr

• RootsChat Senior
  • Ted
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 07 June 07 03:52 BST (UK) »
Thank you for trying
I have written to the LMA asking for research assistance and about their fees - they have not responded.  The whole lot is very frustrating but when brick walls do come down its very satisfying.
Thank you again
Kind regards
Jill

STEED from Kent
PERRETT from Wiltshire