Author Topic: 1871 census - Shaw at Lenton  (Read 6979 times)

Offline cmcmull

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
1871 census - Shaw at Lenton
« on: Thursday 08 February 07 03:55 GMT (UK) »
Hello
Could I please request a lookup for John born c 1796 at West Hallam and  Anne Shaw born c 1793 in Loscoe Derbyshire.  They were in Lenton in 1861 but not sure if they were still there in 1871 but would be in Nottingham area.
Thanks
Carmel
McMullen NSW & NZ, Brewster, Freestone Cambs, Carlyon, Jolliffe and Leverton Cornwall, Sutton, Ellis Lincs, Soles Gls., Boyce Tyrone, Leckey Co Down, Cuthell London & Stirlingshire Scotland, Cubitt London Sussex and Norfolk, Vale NSW, Wenham Cambs,Goodfellow Wiltshire, Shaw Derbys. & Notts., Whitlock Norfolk, Fort Lancs., Cameron Inverness, Fraser Stratherrick, Scotland, Reedy Ennis Co Clare, Murphy, Brennan, McAuliffe Newmarket, Co Cork, Doherty, Reynolds M'town Malbay, Ennistymon  Clare

Offline cmcmull

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 1871 census - Shaw at Lenton
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 February 07 05:33 GMT (UK) »
I've conisdered John and Ann may have both died in the 1860s but there was a daughter Frances living with them in 1861 so if John and Ann cannot be found in 1871 is there a Frances unmarried born c 1832 living in Lenton area somewhere.
Thanks again
Carmel
McMullen NSW & NZ, Brewster, Freestone Cambs, Carlyon, Jolliffe and Leverton Cornwall, Sutton, Ellis Lincs, Soles Gls., Boyce Tyrone, Leckey Co Down, Cuthell London & Stirlingshire Scotland, Cubitt London Sussex and Norfolk, Vale NSW, Wenham Cambs,Goodfellow Wiltshire, Shaw Derbys. & Notts., Whitlock Norfolk, Fort Lancs., Cameron Inverness, Fraser Stratherrick, Scotland, Reedy Ennis Co Clare, Murphy, Brennan, McAuliffe Newmarket, Co Cork, Doherty, Reynolds M'town Malbay, Ennistymon  Clare

Offline Heather D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 08 February 07 12:44 GMT (UK) »
There is a burial for Ann at Lenton 22/02/1865 age 72, abode New Lenton.
Also a John in the time frame but the age is out ...John buried 29/10/1864 age 59

Possible Frances
1871 RG10 3500 45 22
Elliott? Street Radford
Frances Shaw head unmar 39 lace slip winder Derbyshire Heanor
Edwin son 19 cab driver Ripley

Which begged the question, where was Edwin in 1861?

1861 RG9 2511
Market Square Ripley
James Stanley head 55 cordwainer Ripley
Mary wife 55 Hartington
Samuel son unmar 30 boilermaker Ripley
James son 14 cordwainer Ripley
Edwin Stanley Shaw grandson 9 Ripley
Susanna Stanley dau 12 Ripley
Isaac Deavill ser 15 cordwainers app Pentrick

Heather
Nottinghamshire: Willmott, Williams, Oldham, Padgett, Burden, Stokes, Huskinson, Tuckwood, Morley, Barnett
Lincolnshire: Foster, Dennis, Mowbray
Leicestershire: Mowbray,Hudson, Tuckwood
Derbyshire: Starbrook
Somerset: Willmott, Elliott
Cork:Driscoll, Murphy
London Surrey:Driscoll, Cheesman
London Kent:Cheesman
Kent:Cheesman, Davis, West, Hills, Kneller, Bones, Eastup

Census information is crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cmcmull

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 08 February 07 23:04 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again Heather. :) You have helped me so often.  I wrote a message to reply to you last night and lost it.  We have been having internet problems.
I had found the 1865 death on Free BMD and thought it may be her so this extra information is good.  Yes the John would be too young if the age there is correct as married 1817.  I'd say the Frances is correct and when I first read the question about Edwin I thought you were referring to her brother-too late at night and I'd been looking for him so it was good you were alert and realized she had a son who wasn't with her in 1861.  Isn't that a boost for any of his descendants as its usually impossible to find father for illegitimate children?
Thanks for all this help.  I'm trying to find some connection to the military with Elijah, Edwin, William etc as I have a letter written after WW1 by the father of 3 boys killed and the letter stated that they were 5th generation of Shaw to serve the British Empire ranging from General to Private and some of their great uncles had served with General Gordon at Khartoum (which was c 1880) and some were in the Navy.  Their greatuncles on Shaw side should be this family so let me know if you come across any with occupation connected to military.  Otherwise I just work my way through the census records and find who's missing in 1881.  I thought if there was a General in there he should be easy to find but I've been looking for military Shaw's for a long time. Of course it could all be incorrect and the ones who fought in the wars may be on another branch as the man who wrote the story was born in Australia (my greatgrandmother's brother) and I have found stories handed down have got confused in many cases when younger family members didn't know their relatives back in England.  I need this information to verify that I am on the right family now as my Shaw ancestor who arrived here was Tom born c 1820 at Loscoe (1851 census in Nottingham with corrrect family) but his parents according to death cert were Edward and Ellen.  I've spent years looking for them with no luck.  Then I found Tom correct age born Loscoe with parents John and Ann Draper.  Draper was shown as maiden surname of Tom's wife who was Betsy Richards on her death cert and I knew that was incorrect so I"m assuming now that son-in-law who recorded the details probably was told a grandmother  was Draper but got the wrong one.  The only other information I have to go on is this letter about the military ancestors so hoping I'll find something there to verify parents being John and Anne.
I'm now on a more desperate hunt as there is a centenary celebration at my old school later this year and 2 of the Shaw boys who were killed in WW1 were first day pupils when the school opened and I've been asked to write up a family history to display at the event.
Regards
Carmel

Offline Heather D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 09 February 07 07:40 GMT (UK) »
You're welcome Carmel!

Just a quick thought before I head off to work.

The burial I gave you for a John in 1864 is a transcription by the Notts FHS. It's easy to confuse a 6 and a 5, so I wouldn't discount it without checking official records...he could have been 69

Heather
Nottinghamshire: Willmott, Williams, Oldham, Padgett, Burden, Stokes, Huskinson, Tuckwood, Morley, Barnett
Lincolnshire: Foster, Dennis, Mowbray
Leicestershire: Mowbray,Hudson, Tuckwood
Derbyshire: Starbrook
Somerset: Willmott, Elliott
Cork:Driscoll, Murphy
London Surrey:Driscoll, Cheesman
London Kent:Cheesman
Kent:Cheesman, Davis, West, Hills, Kneller, Bones, Eastup

Census information is crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cmcmull

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 09 February 07 13:38 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again Heather
There is also one in Free BMD that could be him
Deaths Sep 1867 
Shaw    John    70   Radford    7b   86

Carmel

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 12 February 07 23:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi

This reference may be of use to you for the area of Lenton.

http://www.lentontimes.co.uk/

Jane
Notts: Burrows, Comery, Foster, Beeson.
Derbys: Burrows, Comery, Smith  Lincs: King. 

Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cmcmull

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 13 February 07 00:50 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Jane
This looks to be a wonderful site.  I have already sent them an email re my 3 soldiers killed in WW1  descendants of the family who were there.

Regards
Carmel

Offline cmcmull

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 13 February 07 02:08 GMT (UK) »
I have found another son of John and Ann Edwin born 1830 was married to a Mary Ann and living at Lenton in 1871.  Could someone please do a lookup for him and his family.
Thanks
Carmel