Author Topic: Hartley / Preston Connection - BRADFORD  (Read 3263 times)

Offline KHartley

• RootsChat Member
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Hartley / Preston Connection - BRADFORD
« on: Sunday 29 February 04 15:02 GMT (UK) »
I have been tracing my Hartley ancestors - my GGrandfather was born to an unmarried Annie Potterton in Harrogate in 1865. From my research, I believe he was raised by a Preston Family in Bradford, Yorks - John Preston and wife Rachel Jenkinson. They had the following children - Robert, Albert, Andrew and Martha. My GGrandfather's birth name was Albert Potterton Hartley but I bellieve he was raised as William Preston as part of this family. I would like to connect to any Preston descendants who might have knowledge of this family and William Preston.

Robert Preston (Stone Mason) married Alice Whittingham - children - Hannah, Mary and Eliza. Eliza marrieda John Haigh and they were witnesses to Albert Hartley's marriage to Annie Waddington in 1896.

Albert Preston (Water Meter Inspector) married Mary Ann ?? - children - Annie, Louisa, William, Harry, Alfred, Robert, Andrew, Edward. In 1901 were living in Rochdale, Lancs.

Andrew Preston (Wool Warehouseman) married Ann Elizabeth Boocock - no children found.

Martha Preston married Joseph Moore (Yeast/Poultry Dealer) - children - Samuel, Lucy Ann, Rachael, Morris.

Albert Hartley's wife would die in 1903. Sometime shortly after that he emigrated to Canada with his 2 sons, Harold and Wilfred. He left his daughter Ivy, born 1901 with Martha and Joseph Moore in Bradford. Ivy stayed with the Moore's until just before WW! - possibly about 1912.

Are there any Moore's who would remember their family raising Ivy????

Are there any Preston's who have discovered a William Preston in their family who "disappeared" - became Albert Potterton Hartley probably around 1894 or 1895?????

Would love to connect with any of the Preston descendants.

THANKS

Ken Hartley
Canada

Offline Ticker

• User is no longer receiving email notifications.
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Follow me on twitter @ShaunTymon.
    • View Profile
Re: Hartley / Preston Connection - BRADFORD
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 16 November 04 18:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ken

Sorry we have been so little help to you on this one. 

Have you made any progress,  or do you have any further details that could help someone to find what you are looking for?

Best wishes 

Ticker
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KHartley

• RootsChat Member
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Hartley / Preston Connection - BRADFORD
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 16 November 04 19:31 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately, I have no further information on the Preston's and their connection to my Great Grandfather, William Albert Hartley (aka Albert Potterton Hartley; William Preston)