Author Topic: What can you do when you don't know?  (Read 10099 times)

Offline Betty Boo

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: What can you do when you don't know?
« Reply #9 on: Friday 23 February 07 20:47 GMT (UK) »
Hello again aghadowey,

I have been trying for about 2 years to find out where Thomas Collins born 1841 came from in Monaghan, I still haven't.  Even when his son Patrick died in WW1 and received the DMC was awarded to his mother as Thomas born 1841 was dead says nothing of where the family came from in County Monaghan.
Info below:-

Patrick Collins brother of Thomas' s son also called Thomas born 1885 in Durham
died in Ypres, Belgium?
A leaflet published by Deorwenta Publcations, Blackhill, Co
Durham (St. Mary's War Memorial) and it reads as follows:
'5332 Patrick Collins DCM Age 27: P Collins, one of twelve children, was a
son of Thomas Collins, originally from Co. Monaghan, Ireland and Mary Anne
Collins, neé Duffy, from Berwick on Tweed, whose family came from Co Armagh,
Ireland. Patrick was born on 15 July 1889 and the family lived at 29
Waltons Row, Blackhill, Co Durham. He enlisted at Newcastle on Tyne, to join
the 6th Battalion, Connaught Rangers in Co Cork, Ireland, attached to the
British Expeditionary Force. On Friday 9 March 1917, he died of wounds and
is buried at Kemmel Chateau Military Cemetry, Heuvellland, West Vlaanderen,
Belgium. Grave reference: M81. After his death, his mother was presented
with the DCM at the Olympia Cinema, Blackhill, when his courageous advance
into no-man's-land was commemorated on stage.

Elizabeth

Offline Rewcastle

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 25 March 07 17:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Elizabeth,

I've just been having a bit of a sort out and i came across a post-it note which i wrote down several years ago. (like you do)  ::)
anyhow it reads:-

immigration. (Famine).
County Monaghan immigrants to the Consett area of County Durham, England.
1842-1855, xvi, 1 (1997), 37.
G. Duffy, 37 Clogher record index.

Now racking my brain, from what i remember G. Duffy (not sure if he was the same Mr Duffy that was a teacher at school?  ) he did lot of research, I think it started off with his family tree but went a lot more into the famine and families who escaped and came to the consett area. I think he came from the Shotley Bridge, Blackhill, Consett area but has since settled back in Ireland where his family had come from.

I don't know if anyone else can throw any light on whether it was a book, paper etc., or if it mentions the names and areas of people/families.

Regards
Rewcastle

Offline Rewcastle

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 25 March 07 18:03 BST (UK) »
I've had a quick google  and it seems it was for a journal for Clogher Historical Society http://www.clogherhistory.ie/ which publish a journal each year.

edit:
If you go to http://www.clogherhistory.ie/Bookshop click on Books, click on Clogher, they have Record Clogher Record 1997, the one which contains  'County Monaghan immigrants in the Consett area of County Durham, England, 1842-1855', by G. Duffy; cost 20 euros (that's if no rootschater has a copy and could do a lookup).

regards
Rewcastle

Offline Betty Boo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 25 March 07 18:21 BST (UK) »
Hello Rewcastle,

Thanks so much  for your reply to my post on Thomas Collins from County Monaghan.  Interesting about the teacher G Duffy!!

I have been searching for Thomas Collins for many many years now.
I am stuck at both sides of my family tree, this is my husband great grandfather, his so also Thomas Collins was his grandfather.

I on the otherhand am stuck with my grandmother from County Down, I can't find any info on her parents although I do know their names.
We therefore have very few people in  our family trees but I will check out the website you have given me and see if I can find something there.

Thank you for your help and I did love the bit about the bit of paper ie ( like you do ).  I keep finding bits of paper but I can never understand what they were about.

Best wishes Elizabeth

Offline Betty Boo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 25 March 07 18:24 BST (UK) »
Oops Rewcastle,

I didn't notice the bit on the end about the book, you must have added it to the message later, anyway I will check that out too.  Many thanks for all you help and advice.

Elizabeth

Offline moscan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The next generation
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 25 March 07 19:41 BST (UK) »
Hello Elizabeth,

I am involved in a rootsweb news group for Co. Fermanagh and I have posted a request for the article on immigrants from Co. Monaghan to  County Durham.  And I have heard from a guy that may be able to help.  I will update you when he gets back to me.  I made a Specific request to see if there was any mention on any Collins.

Best wishes

Mo

PS:  got the following message about the article:

I can see no reference to a Thomas Collins b. 1841 but there are a few other Collins named.

A Mary Collin from Blackhill was a witness at a wedding between Peter Roddy and Bridget Carrol from Blackhill on the 14.11.1847.  From Killanny Parish, Co Monaghan.

2.   A Mary Collins from Leadgate married a John Murphy from Blackhill on 15.7.1849.

Parents of both – Owen Murphy & Agnes Magee and Lawrence Collins and Mary McLoughlin.. The Murphy’s    were from Donamoine Parish, Co Monaghan and the Collins’ were from Gory Parish Co Wexford.

No more Collins names were in the article

sorry could not help you further

Mo

All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright<br /><br />Researching: - Freear, Walker, Aston, Scanlan, Courtney, Lowth, O’Sulivan, McDonnell, Condon, McMahon, McKay, Brock, Gourlay, Busby<br /><br />Locations: - March in Cambridgeshire, Banbury in Oxfordshire, Mileham in Norfolk, Worcester, Evesham, Claines in Worcestershire, Birmingham. Dublin, Cork, Fermanagh in Ireland.  Glasgow, Stirling in Scotland

Offline Betty Boo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 25 March 07 20:57 BST (UK) »
Hello Mo,

That was really, really very kind of you to ask about my Thomas Collins from County Monaghan.  I just can't believe anyone would take the time and trouble to do this for me, I truely appreciate it.

I don't think I am ever going to find him, its just one of those things I guess.

Many, many thanks for trying though.

Elizabeth

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Truth will out! (Finding it another matter!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 21 May 07 01:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Elizabeth

I know is a long shot and without parish and townland is hard but those folks at the National Library are national treasures. They helped me find the impossible for one of mine.

Took us ages but we got there.

But downside it does mean going htere or finding a willing volunteer.

Griffiths valuation may help you. If I can help let me know

Thanks

Ann
Torrens, Thompson - Tyrone & Fermanagh,Connolly, Campbell - Monaghan & Cavan, McGovern, Carroll, Orr - Ireland <br />Connolly, Fulton, Stirling, Cameron, McKellar, Robertson, McGovern, Torrance, Bisland, Fraser, Hamilton, O'Hara, McAusland, McTaggart , Lambie, Twedale, Hart, Clark(Paisley/Barrhead/Glasgow)<br />McGovern, Liddell - Falkirk<br />Mair, Muir, Carroll, Stewart, Law, Orr - Lanarkshire <br />Torrance - Brisbane<br />Connolly , Robertson- NSW<br />McGovan(?), Robertson , Agnew-

Offline pb3

• RootsChat Member
  • 'Always look on the bright side...'
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 27 August 10 22:52 BST (UK) »
Elizabeth

I'm afraid I can't help with Thomas senior's place of origin but I think you'll find his final resting place in the attached Burial Records ( Entry no 11409). You may have to re-assess his age based on these records, but if you compare his address and burial plot number with that of Mary Ann Collins (Entry no. 15047) it looks like they were husband and wife. You may also find some other members of their family in these records - 11481 looks like a possible candidate.

I've also attached a photo of the WW1 part of St. Mary's Church War Memorial in Blackhill on which Patrick is commemorated.

PatB.