Author Topic: Is anyone related to Thomas Silvester 1854 Coventry  (Read 2876 times)

Offline missjano

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Is anyone related to Thomas Silvester 1854 Coventry
« on: Sunday 11 February 07 20:21 GMT (UK) »
Thomas Silvester was born 13th March 1854 in Coventry St Michael , Warwickshire.

He was the Grandson in 1861 census of Jesse & Elizabeth Stokes.

In 1861 census, his name is mis-spelt and says Franas Silvester. But the original copy says Thomas.
Jesse is also mis-spelt and says Janice!!!

I'm sure his parents were William Silvester/Sylvester & Rebecca Jackson.

There are few links that don't match and want to confirm who is parents were??
Smith Kent/Surrey.  Penfold Surrey.  Gardner Surrey.  Lane Berkshire/Surrey.

Offline DebbieG

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Is anyone related to Thomas Silvester 1854 Coventry
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 February 07 09:50 GMT (UK) »
I am not related - but I had a few minutes this morning to look at your question - heres notes on what I found

The marriage of William Silvester & Rebecca Jackson was in 1852 from the IGI - William age is 22 and Rebeccas is 18

from this I found a likely Rebecca Jackson in the 1851 census at Draycott, Bourton on Dunsmore - next door but 1 was Thomas Sylvester and his family with son William who is also the right age.  Rebecca is with her grandmother Elizabeth Warren aged 76 born Glous Gifford, and staying with them is visitor John Stokes aged 11 born Coventry.

A likely baptism for Rebecca daughter of Elizabeth Jackson 15th January 1837 Bourton on Dunsmore.

from Free BMD a marriage for Jesse Stokes June qtr 1839  Coventry with one of the possible brides Elizabeth Jackson

from the 1861 census you found Elizabeth w/o Jesse Stokes was born about 1811 at Draycott - there is a baptism 12th Jan 1812 Draycott of Elizabeth d/o John & Elizabeth Jackson,  I suspect that John died sometime before 1822 when there is  a marriage in  Bourton on Dunsmore of William Warren to Elizabeth Jackson.

Therefore yes the Thomas Silvester with Jesse & Elizabeth Stokes in 1861 is very likely the son of William & Rebecca.  To prove it further it would be ideal to find the death of John Jackson in Bourton and check that Elizabeth was a widow at her marriage to William Warren in 1822,  but as I am working mainly from the IGI I don't have this info.  If you bought the marriage certificate for William & Rebecca it should give their fathers (or lack of them in Rebeccas case).

I hope all this makes sense   :)

Debbie

Pay(n)ton, Payton, Pe(a)rton all Oxfordshire and Berkshire - particularly Abingdon

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline missjano

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 14 February 07 20:53 GMT (UK) »
I am not related - but I had a few minutes this morning to look at your question - heres notes on what I found

The marriage of William Silvester & Rebecca Jackson was in 1852 from the IGI - William age is 22 and Rebeccas is 18

from this I found a likely Rebecca Jackson in the 1851 census at Draycott, Bourton on Dunsmore - next door but 1 was Thomas Sylvester and his family with son William who is also the right age.  Rebecca is with her grandmother Elizabeth Warren aged 76 born Glous Gifford, and staying with them is visitor John Stokes aged 11 born Coventry.

A likely baptism for Rebecca daughter of Elizabeth Jackson 15th January 1837 Bourton on Dunsmore.

from Free BMD a marriage for Jesse Stokes June qtr 1839  Coventry with one of the possible brides Elizabeth Jackson

from the 1861 census you found Elizabeth w/o Jesse Stokes was born about 1811 at Draycott - there is a baptism 12th Jan 1812 Draycott of Elizabeth d/o John & Elizabeth Jackson,  I suspect that John died sometime before 1822 when there is  a marriage in  Bourton on Dunsmore of William Warren to Elizabeth Jackson.

Therefore yes the Thomas Silvester with Jesse & Elizabeth Stokes in 1861 is very likely the son of William & Rebecca.  To prove it further it would be ideal to find the death of John Jackson in Bourton and check that Elizabeth was a widow at her marriage to William Warren in 1822,  but as I am working mainly from the IGI I don't have this info.  If you bought the marriage certificate for William & Rebecca it should give their fathers (or lack of them in Rebeccas case).

I hope all this makes sense   :)

Debbie

Thanks Debbie.

I have most of this information. My problems is Rebecca Jackson in the 1841 census. Is she the one that lived with Jessie & Elizabeth Stokes or the one who lived next door to Thomas Sylvester. There are 2 of them. Also I checked the marraige register between William Warren and Elizabeth Jackson. She was a spinster, not a widower.
But I somehow do believe the Thomas parents were William and Rebecca Silvester who married in 1852, I found them in parish records as well. It's just working out who was who!!
Smith Kent/Surrey.  Penfold Surrey.  Gardner Surrey.  Lane Berkshire/Surrey.

Offline robertburton69

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 09 February 15 23:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi i am from Coventry and my great great grandfather was Charles Sylvestor 1838 and my great great great grandparents Thomas and Elizabeth Sylvestor 1801 there other children,charles's siblings are george 1821 john 1826 william 1831 and james and harriet 1836,and Elizabeths Sylvestors grandmother was Sarah Hewitt 1756  they all originate from Bourton upon dunsmore warwickshires.My family name is Burton as Sylvestor was my dads mums maiden name.