Author Topic: Owen HUGHES b Anglesey  (Read 7855 times)

Offline loislane112

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Owen HUGHES b Anglesey
« on: Monday 12 February 07 08:55 GMT (UK) »
Help needed for my brick wall. Owen Hughes b Llanrhyddlad born about 1816-19 probably baptised 12 9 1819, lived and died in Heneglwys as a clock and watchmaker and farmer of 9 acres married Margaret Hughes b Bodwrog about 1841, children Elizabeth,William,Margaret (my g grandmother)  b Heneglwys

I have reason to believe Owen's father was called William Hughes b abt 1786 iin Llanynghedl, also a clock and watchmaker but am not sure.

Does anyone recognise their own family here or does anyone know where I could find out about clock and watchmakers in Anglesley
Hughes, Anglesey, Kemp Manchester, Beaumont Manchester and Huddersfield, Chadwick and Whitehead Huddersfield, Bell Lincoln, Blacktoft, Dewsbury, I'Anson, Ripon, Thirsk, Middleton Quernhow, Langlands, Scotland and Morpeth

Offline thenguy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Owen HUGHES b Anglesey
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 18 October 11 10:07 BST (UK) »
I don't know about your Owen Hughes but mine is from the same area--please let me know if you find something..Thanks!

Owen Williams Hughes
Birth 1821 in Llanrhyddland, Angelsey, Wales
Death 1885 in Ty Cochyn, Llanrhyddlad, Anglesey, Wales

Tom Hendricks

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline loislane112

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 18 October 11 11:56 BST (UK) »
I will do.  I actually went to Anglesey a while ago and found the 8 acres that Owen had owned on a map in the archives but have got no further.  i am still not sure who his father was.
Hughes, Anglesey, Kemp Manchester, Beaumont Manchester and Huddersfield, Chadwick and Whitehead Huddersfield, Bell Lincoln, Blacktoft, Dewsbury, I'Anson, Ripon, Thirsk, Middleton Quernhow, Langlands, Scotland and Morpeth

Offline ashben80

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 06 May 12 03:45 BST (UK) »
I too descend from Owen Hughes, born Llanrhyddlad abt 1816, died after 1881.  I believe you are correct that his father is William Hughes, a watchmaker. I don't know anything about his birth place or birth date.

According to my information Owen Hughes married Margaret Lloyd in 1839 and they had (at least) 6 children - Elizabeth, William, Margaret, Cathrine, Owen and Jane.

Offline loislane112

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 06 May 12 10:57 BST (UK) »
Hello Yes that is the right family although i had got her name as Margaret Hughes so it is interesting that she was actually called Lloyd as you have found.  The children match and of course two of them were born in Liverpool  i had not found the Jane you mentioned so would be interested in that.  i have the death cert of Owen watchmaker in Heneglwys aged 75 of apoplexy.  i would be interested to exchange information my email is (*) but we are going away after 11 May.  i have pictures of their daughter Margaret who married Alexander Bell and ended up in West yorkshire

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline ashben80

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 07 May 12 05:28 BST (UK) »
Hi, it is good to connect and share information. Lloyd is Margaret Hughes' maiden name.  Her father is David Lloyd. That is all I know about him at this time. Owen Hughes and Margaret Lloyd were married in 1839.
Jane Lloyd Hughes (1856/57-1907), the youngest of the family, is my great-grandmother. She married and emigrated to the US.
I am interested in the photos you have. I only have one photo of Jane; none of the previous generation.

Offline loislane112

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 07 May 12 05:51 BST (UK) »
Hi again  Thanks for the reply  i don't know how we get in touch off line do you as they removed my email address.  i only have a photograph of Margaret, Jane's sister - hopefully enclosed.  i have pictures of her husband John Owen, her children, Christiana, and two sons but none further back than that unfortunately. Since you mentioned the name Lloyd Ihave looked in ancestry but can't find a marriage for Owen and Margaret but now I have David as a reference i will try again.  Perhaps you know how this personal message system works and then we can exchange more. i feel however that it will be difficult to get any further back than William Hughes.

Offline ashben80

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 07 May 12 21:31 BST (UK) »
Hi, I do have the marriage record for Owen Hughes and Margaret Lloyd.
And I have located William Hughes in the 1841 and 1851 census in Llanrhyddlad (where Owen was born).
William Hughes, born abt 1785/86 in Llanynghedl, Anglesey, widower in 1851.
Elizabeth, his wife, born abt 1791, Anglesey.
Children listed - Elinor, Owen, Margret, Winifred, William, John and Robert.
I agree that going beyond William Hughes will be difficult.
Now that I have made 3 posts we should have the option to use the Personal Message (PM) system to exchange personal info. Thanks for the photo.  I had trouble getting it to display, but I will try again.

Offline loislane112

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 08 May 12 06:47 BST (UK) »
Yes I have him  in those two and the 61 census as well aged 75 watchmaker so he must have died between then and the 71 census with daughter Margaret and two grandchildren. I haven't got the marriage record of Owen but i do have his death cert if you would like to exchange. Let me know if you can't get the photo to open