Author Topic: Douglas Robson born 1835  (Read 856 times)

Offline Allan Robson

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Douglas Robson born 1835
« on: Monday 12 February 07 11:33 GMT (UK) »
Hello All
I wonder if anyone has any idea's on the following
Douglas Robson bap 28th Oct 1835 St Nicholas, Newcastle, his parents were John Robson and Eleanor Urwin
Douglas appears on 1841 Census for Pemberton St Hetton-Le-Hole, but after that no sign
The family moved to Neasham sq Sunderland on the 1851 Census and Douglas is not living with them
I am pretty certain he was a Seaman in the Merchant Service as there is  record of a Douglas Robson joining as an Apprentice in April 1851 and could have been at sea by the time of the 1851 Census.
However there is no sign of a Marriage or a Death and he does not show on any census  up to 1901
did he ever marry or did he die at Sea or possibly emigrate?

Regards
Allan Robson

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Douglas Robson born 1835
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 13 February 07 00:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Allan

The 1851 census was taken on the night of 30 Mar 1851 so from your apprentice date, he would not have been in the merchant navy at that date  ??? Unless he joined earlier as a seaman & then signed for the apprenticeship

I think there are records of deaths at sea on the findmypast (used to be 1837online) web site. Did you check there (It is pay site & I don't have access - sorry)

Emigration is definitely possible - 1850s saw much of this - but finding where he went could be tricky - Canada, US Australia, SA, NZ 

Sorry I am not alot of help

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Allan Robson

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Douglas Robson born 1835
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 13 February 07 08:58 GMT (UK) »
Hello Trish
Thanks for your reply, I will check the deaths at sea, the only clue I have is that his younger Brother John named his 1st Son Douglas when he was born in 1860.

Regards
Allan