Author Topic: Welsh placename - Handwriting Analysis Needed  (Read 9399 times)

Offline 2deebees

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Welsh placename - Handwriting Analysis Needed
« on: Sunday 29 February 04 20:17 GMT (UK) »
 :(Please can anyone help with advice about a Welsh placename shown as Phentinthrow on the transcription of the 1901 census, and it also looks like that on the image.  The name is Annie Dougall, late Townson, formerly Jones.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
Re:Welsh placename
« Reply #1 on: Monday 01 March 04 10:39 GMT (UK) »
P H E N T I N T H R O W

Never heard of such a place. What's worth rememebring here is that there is quite a lot of room for error.

• Perhaps dear Annie Towson (nee Jones) did not pronounce it correctly
  • Perhaps the person taking the census at their doorestep just interepreted what she said and  just wrote it down the way it sounded.

(I'm assuning now that the census was taken in a place outside of Wales? Where was it taken?)
  • Perhaps the transcription is wrong.

A good start would be if you could attach a copy of the image - perhaps just showing the place name so we can look at it.

The other thing I've been playing around with (and I know Kazza has been doing the same) is trying to "make" the place name a Welsh one. (I'm a Welsh speaker by the way!)

P H E N T I N T H R O W

First of all, there's a thing in the Welsh language called "mutation" which is where the first letter (or two letters) of a word can change depending on the word that came before it.
If for example I said in welsh I came "from Penrhyn" I would say "o Phenrhyn"
So, your place name could start with "PEN" rather that "PHEN". "Pen" is also a common start to place names and means the "top of" or "head of"

The other thing is pronounciation. The letters "PH" are pronounced the same as the letter "F" in "FROM" so your place name could start with "FEN" or "FFEN"

The end letters "THROW" isn't the kind of word structure you would see in Welsh becasue the "W" in that context doesn't seem to sound right at all.  So your place name could well end, instead of the letters "THROW" with the letters "DDO" "THO" "THRO" or "THRAU" (my favorite is "THRO")

Lastly, it's possible that the "Place Name" is actually the name of a farm where she was born.

Obviously if we are a letter out with the transcript then that will make a LOT of difference - the Welsh alphabet has double letters that count as one letter... So please post the image of the place name fro us to have a look.
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline 2deebees

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re:Welsh placename
« Reply #2 on: Monday 01 March 04 22:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Thanks for your reply.
I have attached a copy of the image, but I am not sure what the quality will be like, I had to reduce the size.
The census was taken in Manchester, and we think Annie was born about 1838. The only other Welsh-related information we have is, that, according to her marriage certificate, her father was Richard Jones, and was a farmer.  It is the second line down on the form.

Again, many thanks.

2deebees.

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
Re:Welsh placename - Handwriting Analysis Reqd
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 02 March 04 16:56 GMT (UK) »
It does look a lot less than "PHENTINTHROW" now.

Is it possible for you to attach as large a cropped image as you can of just around the place name for us please?

(I've attached something similar, but it needs to be done off the "high res" image for it to work properly)

*it's the second line we are looking at
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
Re:Welsh placename - Handwriting Analysis Needed
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 02 March 04 17:59 GMT (UK) »
This is really tricky isn't it!!!!

Moderator Note - we deleted a message just pror to this one becasue the image was very wide, and clearer images are now attatched to this topic

Offline Doug-in-Canada

• Forgot to update my email address
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Uncle!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 02 March 04 21:09 GMT (UK) »
My interpretation is that it is closer to Phentmerthion. Or Phentmethion.
Searching for names Davies, Dudley, Yapp, and Groom in the border counties - mostly Shropshire, Montgomeryshire, Staffordshire, Meirioneth. Also some North American emigrants.

Offline Kazza

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking into Holes
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 02 March 04 23:24 GMT (UK) »
My two-penneth:

P H E R C H T M E R T H I O N

Which is worse than we started with.  However,  looking at the other entries we would be expecting a place-name,  rather than a house or farm name.

The only bit I am fairly sure of is the E R C T ,  I really don't think that is a N,  but a R C .

Kazza.
Welsh Lass
Surname interests:
Clementsten, Hobson, Hole, Marden, O'Clements, Pitten, Sharland, Vickery (Vicary), Williams.

Area Interests:
Cardiff, Bampton, Bideford, Crediton, Wollaston, Somerset, Tidenham, Norway, Australia to Bristol.

Offline Doug-in-Canada

• Forgot to update my email address
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Uncle!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 03 March 04 14:48 GMT (UK) »
Could it be a misspelled Pentref or Phentref Merthion? Is there such a place in Wales. Google comes up blank on it.
Searching for names Davies, Dudley, Yapp, and Groom in the border counties - mostly Shropshire, Montgomeryshire, Staffordshire, Meirioneth. Also some North American emigrants.

Offline SS from The Rhondda

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 03 March 04 16:32 GMT (UK) »
Some of the marks appear to be added later, and some are from the lines above, and below.

My initial interpretation is:

'Caermarthen'

seems to be written by an English enumerator who has difficulty grasping the Welsh town name spellings and pronunctiations.