Author Topic: Abingdon workhouse  (Read 11481 times)

Offline chardine

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Abingdon workhouse
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 14 February 07 12:59 GMT (UK) »
What a surprise.

Did the records show a father of any of Harriet's children? Presume she was not married.

If it is not too much trouble could you check Harriet's baptism record and confirm the entry name if given of her parents.

Many thanks

Richard

Mynott (Cambridgeshire/Suffolk), Hall (Cambridgeshire), Drake (Cambridgeshire/Derbyshire/Suffolk), Taylor (Cambridgeshire), Fletcher (Berkshire), Prior (Berkshire), Slatter (Berkshire), Gibbs (Berkshire)

Offline DebbieG

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 14 February 07 13:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi  Richard

No I am afraid no father (s) mentioned at all.  Did you see on the 1901 census - she is marked as deaf & dumb ? poor girl

from Steventon baptisms May 14th 1874 Harrietteh (sic) d/o Jesse & Sarah Slatter - labr

Debbie
Pay(n)ton, Payton, Pe(a)rton all Oxfordshire and Berkshire - particularly Abingdon

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline chardine

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 14 February 07 14:08 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the further info Debbie; yes I was aware she was deaf and dumb from birth.

Richard

Mynott (Cambridgeshire/Suffolk), Hall (Cambridgeshire), Drake (Cambridgeshire/Derbyshire/Suffolk), Taylor (Cambridgeshire), Fletcher (Berkshire), Prior (Berkshire), Slatter (Berkshire), Gibbs (Berkshire)

Offline chardine

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 15 February 07 07:16 GMT (UK) »
For Debbie

A follow up and more sad news.

Have found one of Harriet's children, Beatrice, registered as a pauper child in the Cowley Industrial School. Age about 8.

I believe this school to be linked with the Oxford workhouse.

Richard.

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 29 May 07 23:11 BST (UK) »
Hi - I have some transcripts for baptisms in Abingdon Workhouse up to 1931 - if there is a name you particularly after 

Debbie

Would you be able to tell me if there are any Honeys or Mabbotts mentioned in these records up to 1850?

matt

Offline alimey

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 17 October 07 00:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Debbie

Have been researching the Slatter side of my wifes ancestry.

In the 1901 census found a record of a Harriet Slatter aged 27 as an imate of the Abingdon Workhouse.

Adjacent to this entry is one for an Ellen Slatter aged 2!

Was wondering if she was Harriet's daughter.

Also trying to find out what became of them both.

Any info most welcome.

Richard

Offline ridgewaykicker

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 31 May 19 17:49 BST (UK) »
Hi this is message for DebbieG/posters in this  area
I am researching a  Lizzie Boulter  (Elizabeth)  1894-1982  who was a resident in the Abingdon workhouse from around 1913  was later Sentenced to 1 months hard labour for absconding without permission in 1919 and where  she gave birth to Mary Boulter (1913-1995)  (confirmed by Birth Certificate),

I would be interested if you have any other birth records/information in relation to  Elizabeth or Mary whom we believe was later/somehow adopted  by  the Bichard Family.

Regards
Adrian

Offline liviabsolom87

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 03 September 20 13:24 BST (UK) »
Hi - I have some transcripts for baptisms in Abingdon Workhouse up to 1931 - if there is a name you particularly after 

Debbie

Hi! i realise im late to the party, but i wonder if you could tell me if theres a record for the birth of rosina shepherd born 14th feb 1864.. thanks xx