Author Topic: can anyone help to find JOHN WILSON MOSCRIP  (Read 2588 times)

Offline fiona g

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
can anyone help to find JOHN WILSON MOSCRIP
« on: Tuesday 13 February 07 11:53 GMT (UK) »
Trying to find any additional info on John Wilson Moscrip,only info I have on John is dob1811 Greenock.Johns parents are Rev George Moscrip and Janet Wilson,siblings are,Clement,Andrew,George,Alexander and possibly William.I have tried IGI and SP.

This family were religous Free Church of Scotland and records are difficult to track down.I have had great success on ROOTSCHAT with info on Johns brother Clement so hoping for the same with John.
Fiona

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: can anyone help to find JOHN WILSON MOSCRIP
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 13 February 07 12:21 GMT (UK) »
I'm not sure at what stage the Rev joined the Free Church as the baptism of John (& at least 2 siblings) are on SP (I don't have any credits to check the names) - there is also a submitted IGI record which gives a date of baptism and birth for John in Greenock East (same parish as SP).

There is a possible death in 1883, but not in Renfrew - there is a John of similar age on the 1841/51 (probably 61) census who is listed as an ag lab, born Melrose, Roxborough  - so the death could be him. If you can find a death record after civil registration started this would give some useful information.

Trish

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline fiona g

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 13 February 07 12:52 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Trish

Offline LaceyLynn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 10 September 14 16:45 BST (UK) »
Info on Revered George Moscrip
In 1812 he was 49 years old and was Minister at Cartsdyke, Associate Congregation, corner of Nicolson & West Blackhall Streets, in 1828. Held position for 31 years and was twice moderator of the supreme court.
Then in 1824, the 20th of January, his colleague Rev James Stark was ordained. James Stark united with the Church of Scotland in 1839 and in 1843 they both joined the Free Church. New church was built in Wellpar. Old church site was sold to Roman Catholic Church 1854.
I hope this helps.
Lynn

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 18 September 14 17:14 BST (UK) »
Rev George Moscrip's Memorial can be found here:

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3579042

brigau

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 18 September 14 17:24 BST (UK) »
The Testament of Janet Moscrip, alias Wilson, relict of Rev George Moscrip  is available on SP for ten credits.  Registered Paisley 20/08/1847.  It's only one page but may provide further information about her children.