Author Topic: Kirklands estate, Ancrum  (Read 15095 times)

Offline Garethboxing

• --
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Grampy Wyndham Jones (Wales v Ireland 1905)
    • View Profile
Re: Kirklands estate, Ancrum
« Reply #9 on: Friday 04 March 11 20:30 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Andrew, one day I'll get around to visiting Ancrum and having a look at Kirklands - maybe this summer.
      Gareth

Scott, Dowdeswell (Merthyr Tydfil), Jones (Loughor and Merthyr Vale), Roberts (Nelson), Prichard (Collenna and Cefn Fforest); Evan Roberts (Corwen and Amlwch); Scott (Pentre); Scott (Ancrum); Thomas (Pantywaun and Bedlinog); Morgan Jones (Ystradfellte); Bowen (Loughor); Jenkins (Bridgend); Thomas Dowdeswell (b. Gloucester, 1829).

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline khyberknife

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 06 November 11 19:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gareth,

My great great grandfather was the said John Richardson who owned Kirklands.

There's also a collection of Richardson family papers in the National Library of Scotland. I've only trawled through them for stuff of direct interest to me, but they may well have something of interest to you

Andrew

Andrew,

I have been researching Roland (Also spelled Rowland) Richardson for some time now.  He would be your great great uncle.  He was an officer in the HEIC Cavalry and later the 19th Hussars.  I have a photo of his grave and have a microfilm of the entire Richardson papers from the National Library of Scotland.  I would be very interested in obtaining a photo or other image of Roland.  I have a photo of an oil painting of a young Ensign in the Bengal Cavalry which is reputed to be a painting of Roland, but I have no way to be sure that it is truly Roland.  Have you heard of this painting or know anything about it.  I would love to learn the location of the original.

Any information would be appreciated.  I would be happy to share the information I have regarding Roland if you are interested.

Tim

Offline alan14578

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 07 November 11 18:13 GMT (UK) »
gareth    I think your JOHN not William died 1884 aged 66 yrs wife of AGNES DODDS and is buried in Morebattle cemetery.
You will need to see or buy a copy of the Mon. Inscriptions published by the BordersFamily History Society to get more details. I am making up a local Scott index from all their CDs and booklets and their reference is 206
There is also a William who died 1930 aged 68yrs who died at Lesudden(St Boswells)near Ancrum with a wife Isabella  Dodds !! reference Lesudden 300
Hope this helps.
turnbull- Scottish Borders ,Caithness and East Lothian
waddell-roxburghshire
foord/ford -perthshire and borders
crosbie-scot borders
galloway-scot borders

Offline Garethboxing

• --
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Grampy Wyndham Jones (Wales v Ireland 1905)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 07 November 11 18:46 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that, Alan.
  The Scott boys and the Dodds girls certainly seem to have had a good thing going between them  ;)
  Regards, Gareth
Scott, Dowdeswell (Merthyr Tydfil), Jones (Loughor and Merthyr Vale), Roberts (Nelson), Prichard (Collenna and Cefn Fforest); Evan Roberts (Corwen and Amlwch); Scott (Pentre); Scott (Ancrum); Thomas (Pantywaun and Bedlinog); Morgan Jones (Ystradfellte); Bowen (Loughor); Jenkins (Bridgend); Thomas Dowdeswell (b. Gloucester, 1829).

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Phil D

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 03 October 12 13:58 BST (UK) »
I have a more recent question regarding Kirklands....while researching my father's service in the Argyll & S.H. during September 1941, I found he was stationed at Hawick (I assume at Stobs Camp) and spent a couple of days at 'Kirlands Casualty Receiving Station'. Can anyone confirm if the house on Kirklands, Ancrum was used during WW2 as a CRS?

Offline barbara13511

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 23 October 12 19:21 BST (UK) »
Phil,

Ronald had already asked about this query to BFHS on your behalf.

I asked a former occupant of the house nr Ancrum and she said she believed it was closed for the duration of the war and her father lived elsewhere while the war was on.  I also asked Hawick Archealogical Society about Kirklands in Hawick but nobody had heard of that Kirklands being used as such.  There may be other Kirklands in the Borders tho as it is a common name.

Barbara

Offline Phil D

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 24 October 12 10:33 BST (UK) »
Barbara...thanks for the follow up. I have mostly drawn a blank on this search. I am hoping a letter I have sent to the regimental museum will produce something. If not I will likely put the query aside and leave it as an open question for resolution some other day. Agree the name is so generic that it makes it difficult to find. \Thks and rgds..Phil

Offline BaileyBoo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 12 July 17 13:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Gareth, My gt gt gt grandfather is also Robert (Dodds) Scott. My paternal grandmother (born 1902) is daughter of William Thomas Scott (1844-1909), who is a son of John Scott (1825-1857), who is son of Robert (Dodds) Scott of Ancrum, Roxburghshire. I would be grateful for any information you could share.  :D

Offline jplu2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 28 August 18 10:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Gareth,

My great great grandfather was the said John Richardson who owned Kirklands. I'll run a check through the family records to see if there's any mention of yr ancestor, but I doubt there will be, as it's mostly family letters to/from the next generation. John Richardson, who was an Edinburgh lawyer, is always said to have moved to Ancrum to be near his friend Sir Walter Scott.

Minto (Elliots) was the next 'big hoose' up the road from Kirklands, and the families were close friends, so it's entirely possible that your ancestor moved employment from the one to the other.

Minto was demolished, but Kirklands still stands & is, I think, once more owned by Scotts.

There's also a collection of Richardson family papers in the National Library of Scotland. I've only trawled through them for stuff of direct interest to me, but they may well have something of interest to you

Andrew

Hi there

I know it is a long shot but I was wondering if you had any details on your Great Grandfather's Motto and Crest?

Cheers
Jordan