Author Topic: MacManus, Bridewell  (Read 37037 times)

Offline deadants

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
MacManus, Bridewell
« on: Tuesday 23 November 04 06:54 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for taking the time to read this, maybe you can help me.
I'm looking for the siblings of Bridget MacManus.  She was born 14 December 1865, Bridewell, County Rosscommon.  Ireland.
She is the daughter of Thomas MacManus and Bridget Keogh.

If this ring any bells with anybody would be sure glad to hear from you.
Cleary, Doran, Boland, McCooey, McManus, O'brien, Martin, Savage, Wallis, McCollister, Wood.  (More to come soon)

Offline deadants

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: MacManus, Bridewell
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 November 04 07:57 GMT (UK) »
I misspelled Brideswell, County Rosscommon. Just northwest of Athlone. ;D
Cleary, Doran, Boland, McCooey, McManus, O'brien, Martin, Savage, Wallis, McCollister, Wood.  (More to come soon)

Offline deadants

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 19 January 05 09:15 GMT (UK) »
My Grandmother, Mary Catherine McCooey was born near the gold mining town of Charters Towers, Queensland on the 27th August 1893. Just two months after her parents were married, her father was killed in a mining accident.

What happens next is a bit sketchy, but when young Mary is about seven years old, her mother takes her back to her home town of Athlone, in County Rosscommon Ireland to go to school.

Her mother returned to Australia. She goes to Kalgoorlie Western Australia where she marries a man by the name of Lerhinan. (thats how he spelled it)  http://finchop.netfirms.com/

Mary remembers looking out her school window, which over looked the parade ground of Athlone Castle. She told me that she could remember the soldiers marching in the Parade ground outside.

She returned to Australia some ten years later after she finished school.

I would like to know the name of the school in Athlone?
I would like to know if it was a boarding school? Or did she stay with relatives in Athlone?
I would like to know Birth dates of her uncles and aunties.

Offline deadants

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 19 January 05 09:16 GMT (UK) »
Here is the info I have so far. It came from a relative who died years ago and was only recently uncovered.

Bridget's parents are, Thomas McManus d. 1881 and Bridget McManus nee Keough d. 1908
I have no births or marriage dates for these two.

Children of Thomas and Bridget are as follows...

1. Owen
2. Mary
3. James
4. John
5. Rose
6. Bridget McManus b.14 Dec 1895 Brideswell, County Rosscommon.
7. Thomas
8. William
9. Hannah
10. Catherine

Ok, I know it's a lot research but any scraps of information will be received gratefully.

Offline Keith Bateman

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • .....The Cheshire Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 19 January 05 21:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi deadants

Well it worked - you got some kind of reply!!!! ;D ;D ;D

Now I'm here, my ex wife's father was born in Athlone - I thought that was in West Meath? -  As it's my ex - I haven't bothered too much with her family - but now that you've got people reading your questions - perhaps you can confirm that I have to wrong county - as well as the wrong wife!!

Good Luck

Keith
Bateman - Ware, Herts, London.<br />Partington - Liverpool - Devon - Manchester<br />Foster - Liverpool - Manchester - Scotland<br />Gates - Cumberland - Liverpool - Manchester - Australia<br />Westwood - Ware, Herts<br /><br /><br />"Any information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Has Bouncing Emails

Offline deadants

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 19 January 05 22:29 GMT (UK) »
Yeeha, There is life here after all.
The town of Athlone is in County Westmeath for administrative purposes but prior to 1899 the town west of Athlone was in Co. Roscommon while that to the east of Athlone was in Co. Westmeath. If one has 19th century records relating to Athlone, Co. Westmeath or Athlone, Co. Roscommon one can make the assumption that the Roscommon ones refer to the west Athlone. Westmeath is in the province of Leinster while Roscommon is in Connaught.

http://www.gleesonstownhouse.com/county_map.htm

Seeing my G grandmother was supposed to have  been born in Brideswell I thought I'd post this inThe Rosscommon forum.
I should move my feeble attempt at a web page to the new rootschat webhosting site.

deadants

Offline Keith Bateman

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • .....The Cheshire Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 19 January 05 22:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi deadants

Thats as clear as mud  ;D ;D ;D

I like the guest bedrooms at the Gleesons Townhouse & Restaurant - are you on commision!!

Keep going someone will answer - with a proper reply!!

Cheers

Keith
Bateman - Ware, Herts, London.<br />Partington - Liverpool - Devon - Manchester<br />Foster - Liverpool - Manchester - Scotland<br />Gates - Cumberland - Liverpool - Manchester - Australia<br />Westwood - Ware, Herts<br /><br /><br />"Any information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Has Bouncing Emails

Offline deadants

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 19 January 05 23:04 GMT (UK) »
No such luck, no  commision just a convenient map I found. But I think some of my G Grandmothers family lived in Westmeath. I think one of her brothers died  Ardnananure wherever that is.

I'd realy would like to know the name of that school next to the castle. I hope somebody has an idea about  this. My grandmother told me this story when I was about 12 years old around 1968 or so.

So here I sit waiting Waiting Waiting...... ;) ;) ;)

Offline Kazza

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking into Holes
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 20 January 05 00:30 GMT (UK) »
You got another reply,   ;D 

This will save you having to talk to yourself,  and Keith's scary cat.

Unfortunately I have no knowledge of the area  ::),  but a tack to try would be to write to the letters page of any paper local to the area.  Ask for locals to tell you of any boarding schools they know were in the area in the years you are interested in.  And there may still be people who remember the family,  or rather their descendants.

Good Luck,  and if I get any more bright ideas I will pop back in.

Kazza.
Welsh Lass
Surname interests:
Clementsten, Hobson, Hole, Marden, O'Clements, Pitten, Sharland, Vickery (Vicary), Williams.

Area Interests:
Cardiff, Bampton, Bideford, Crediton, Wollaston, Somerset, Tidenham, Norway, Australia to Bristol.