Author Topic: MacManus, Bridewell  (Read 37036 times)

Offline deadants

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: MacManus, Bridewell
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 20 January 05 05:15 GMT (UK) »
Ok, I think I know whats going on with all the bounce back. If I use my yahoo acount it gets rejected. When I use my pop account they seem  to go through.
I guess sending my pop email address to the catholic church couldn't elicet to much junk mail.

So I will wait  patiently for the replies. ::)

deadants
Cleary, Doran, Boland, McCooey, McManus, O'brien, Martin, Savage, Wallis, McCollister, Wood.  (More to come soon)

Offline Kazza

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking into Holes
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 20 January 05 08:50 GMT (UK) »

I have been cursed. I just sent an email to the the local parish preist. If i get an email bounce from him I think Athlone might be tha mythical Brigadoon which sleeps for a hundred years. ??? :D

deadants.

P.S. Kazza, do you  ever sleep?

Not much,

Maybe I ought to move to Athlone/Brigadoon.   ::)

I can't imagine the church will bombard you with junk.

Keep us posted.  ;)

Kazza.
Welsh Lass
Surname interests:
Clementsten, Hobson, Hole, Marden, O'Clements, Pitten, Sharland, Vickery (Vicary), Williams.

Area Interests:
Cardiff, Bampton, Bideford, Crediton, Wollaston, Somerset, Tidenham, Norway, Australia to Bristol.

Offline deadants

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 21 January 05 05:54 GMT (UK) »
Well I got a couple of replies, both pointing my nose to the same place. So I have sent of another email to the relvant people at the Diocese of Elphin. There is a "SPS John McManus" (not sure what SPS means) and a Michael McManus at Castlerea, Co Roscommon. You never know, these preist just may be related to my Grandmothers tribe. Fingers crossed.

deadants
Cleary, Doran, Boland, McCooey, McManus, O'brien, Martin, Savage, Wallis, McCollister, Wood.  (More to come soon)

Offline deadants

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 28 January 05 22:45 GMT (UK) »
Well I finaly got a reply. So now I have a new lead to start chasing.  :D

deadants

Your most interesting request for 'history help' has been passed on to me reply.

The clue contained in your e-mail is 'Athlone, Co. Roscommon' which suggests someone who lived on the west side of Athlone or in the area of South Roscommon adjoining Athlone.

None of the schools actually overlooked the military parade ground of Athlone Castle / Military Barracks but St. Peter's Convent School, run by the Sisters of Mercy was quite close to the barracks and actually overlooked the RIC (police) barracks. 

The only others girls school in Athlone at that period was another convent school, Ankers Bowers N.S., which was run by a French order of nuns - it was located about a mile from the barracks and definitely in Co. Westmeath so I would suggest that the school she attended must have been St. Peter's. 

St. Peter's Convent has recently closed but the school is still functioning (the present building dates from the 1930s) - it is possible that the school still has records from that period.  A letter to the principal St. Peter's Girls National School, Excise Street, Athlone, Co. Westmeath might get you some information - be sure to give your grandmother's maiden name.

I would also suggest that if the man Mary's mother married was Irish the name is more likely to be Lenihan (Lenehan or Leneghan) than Lerhinan but that's just a thought.

I hope this information is of some help to you.

Kind regards

Gearoid O'Brien,
Executive Librarian,
Aidan Heavey Public Library,
Athlone Civic Centre,
Church Street,
Athlone,
Co. Westmeath.

Offline Keith Bateman

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • .....The Cheshire Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 28 January 05 22:58 GMT (UK) »
Well done deadants - shows what a bit of perseverance does - I got a similar letter today  - it seems the library people are human!!

That will get a few bricks thrown!!  ;D ;D

Cheers

Keith

Bateman - Ware, Herts, London.<br />Partington - Liverpool - Devon - Manchester<br />Foster - Liverpool - Manchester - Scotland<br />Gates - Cumberland - Liverpool - Manchester - Australia<br />Westwood - Ware, Herts<br /><br /><br />"Any information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Has Bouncing Emails

Offline deadants

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 28 January 05 23:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Keith,
I must admit, I was beginning to think my letter had gone dow a black hole. So I will now sit here in the sun  and compose a nice letter to the principal of St. Peter's and pray the records are still available.

deadants

Offline jonesy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Having fun & frustration chasing my "roots".
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 11 June 05 05:58 BST (UK) »
I have long ago left athlone,but I actually worked  for a while in a Bakery across the Square from Athlone Castle & watched the "Boarders" from St Peters Secondary girls school & the day pupils pass by the window on a daily basis. Yes the school could be viewed from the Castle. I am also in a dilema with my ancestors. I & a million others are researching the name Farrell from Co's Roscommon/Westmeath, too many "brick walls".
Good luck with your reasearch.
Margaret (Melbourne Australia)
Farrell/Morris/Leonard from Athlone Co Roscommon Ireland

Offline deadants

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 13 June 05 10:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Margaret,
    Thanks for the information. This is timely, as my sister is going to Athlone next month. I will ask her if she could make a trip to St Peters Secondary girls school. Hopefully they may have some further information.

Yes, too many brick walls.

Cheers, deadants

Offline ros2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 28 June 05 01:19 BST (UK) »
My guess is that Brideswell is the BMD registration area. The parish you actually require is Drum Parish, Co. Roscommon, now part of the united RC parishes of Drum, Clonown and St. Peters Athlone. I think both families came from there, though there are Keoghs in all S. Roscommon parishes. From memory, Drum Parish History has 4-6 McManus families in 1850 in Nure or Ardnanure. and there is certainly at least 1 Keogh family in the Parish. This household head name is Hugh Keogh.  When you get to Athlone, visit the Library and ask for " Drum and its Hinterland" from the local history section. Just in case the book is out on loan when you visit, you may be able to find it on Amazon, or an Irish booksellers site. It is listed on Amazon, but what is availability is , is another matter. Somebody mentioned McCooey.....probably McHugh, perhaps family of Hugh "Hughie" Keogh.    M(a)C means son or descendant of.