Author Topic: Idlicote House Prep School  (Read 10832 times)

Offline hincemajor

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Idlicote House Prep School
« Reply #9 on: Monday 29 May 17 19:29 BST (UK) »
I think you are all being rather kind on the place,the headmaster's morals were extremely suspect,which i think was why the school ultimately closed down.However I suppose it was vaguely character-building.Was Mr Macdonald the one who bent you over his lap and beat you with a hair brush?I remember he threatened this if we failed to achieve a pass mark in a test and i was one of 2 who achieved this,the rest he hairbrushed one by one.When the cricket pavilion was opened in the summer there was a film of bird droppings.The swimming pool was full of newts.On hobbies day,the "day bugs" did orienteering,which in Pascoe's dictionary meant grass cutting.He used to mark latin homework with a magnifying glass,but still couldn't see what you had written.He hated day bugs and anyone with an accent.I could go on forever however does anyone remember Desmond Lloyd a history and english master,he was a lovely man and an inspiring teacher?When he left Idlicote he left some personal effects with my family,which he never reclaimed.I am anxious to return these to his family.His wife died and his 4 children Robert,Stephen,Peter and Phillipa were put in care with Lincolnshire council.I have an address in Bourne where i think they had family, to which i have written and received no reply.If anyone has any information on their whereabouts i would be extremely grateful as i would like to return these personal items.I was at Idlicote from 64-68 and live about 4 miles from the school.

Offline Detective86

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 15 October 17 15:14 BST (UK) »
I know someone who went, now in his 60s

He claimed that the school was rife with abuse and pedophilia and that the headmaster was the ringleader: the abuse was systematic and involved about 8 teachers.

Contact with the outside world was strictly controlled as a way to prevent the reporting of abuse, he described the whole thing as set up for the pedophiles.

He recounted a story of when about a dozen 11 year-olds assaulted one of the abusers with hockey sticks and never did it again.

The previous post is the ONLY indication on the entire internet that anything was wrong there; something tells me no justice was achieved and these men all got away with it (probably dead now).

If any survivors could post or message me, I'd be interested in pursuing justice on behalf of my friend... its never too late....

Offline WillesMajor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 07 April 19 22:22 BST (UK) »
I am in my mid 60’s & I was there for 6 years & it was very spartan. I also had 2 siblings there named minor & tertius.
I remember Parsons, who was nicknamed Lampy, Barney & finally Pasco in my time & he had 2 scabby dogs that absolutely stank called Spot & Jet. Pasco was as blind as a bat & during Latin used to fall asleep with his feet up on the desk. His mouth was open so wide that his top dentures used to drop on to his lower set waking him up with a start. His favourite saying was “Read the next sagger in a loud clear wagger” He had a sister called Babs who was equally as blind. The maths teacher was Jags & Miss Blenkinsop, nicknamed Blobese had a classroom off the quad above the library.
I remember the rookery where we were allowed to play on Saturdays & Wednesday afternoons, the tuck shop in which we were allowed to spend up to 1 & a penny & I remember the Tuesday afternoon trips to Broad Camden, laughingly called a treat, to the freezing swimming pool fed from springs in the surrounding hills.
I remember the school bully Baines & his henchmen, who initiated me into Bay dorm on my first night by “showing me the goldfish” & stuffing me upside down in to the loo. They probably ended up on the Tory front bench!
I remember teachers Des Lloyd, Macdonald & one other whose name escapes me who taught French & kindly taught me how to fly fish.
I remember Mrs Jefferson, the matron who was very kind
I remember crying with pain on the rugger pitch as the cold was so unbearable & cross country runs to Idlicote ford & back.
I remember the disappointment when my father told me I was going to be a daybug rather than board as there had been rumours about staff conduct at school.
I remember being caned on numerous occasions with a large hairbrush, for what I have no idea, & fagging was still a practice.
I remember writing obligatory letters home on Sunday mornings which always ended with Please send more tuck.
I remember compulsory listening to Churchill’s speeches on an old gramophone, watching his funeral on television & being allowed to see Doctor Who on Saturday evenings.
I remember the maids, who were all mentally deranged, frequently fighting amongst themselves in the staff room screaming like banshees & frightening the life out of us.

Offline WillesMajor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 08 April 19 21:29 BST (UK) »
I also remember going to church on Sundays & being given a 3d for the collection plate
I remember the school dances when we had to dance around the buckets that were catching the water pouring through the roof of school hall
I remember feasts on the last night of term in dorm after lights out when we would retrieve food we had secreted under the floor boards for months.
I remember the dreadful school meals & the fact that we were not allowed to get down until we had finished everything on our plates
I remember hiding the dreadful food in the case of the grandfather clock in the dining room
I remember being caught after the pendulum of said clock finally failed to swing due to obstruction & I remember being punished for it
I remember the cod liver oil forced down our throats before breakfast every morning by matron
I remember Pascos mother, the only stable influence in his life, & her death
I remember playing cricket in the courtyard with the petrol pump as stumps
I remember making slides from compacted snow in the courtyard in the winter & I remember Mr Allan, the gardener, putting salt on them after Blobese took a tumble & how it ruined our fun
I remember the tuck rooms & racing corgi cars down the slope outside
I remember that although I boarded I could walk home in 40 minutes
But most of all I remember school being so big

I’ve been back there since & it isn’t, its tiny

I don’t want to remember any of the unpleasant stuff that did or did not occur regarding staff behaviour

Offline idlicote

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 15 November 19 22:29 GMT (UK) »
For Information: Attempts have been made to report historical allegations of abuse at the school to Warwickshire Police, without any serious attempts being made to verify the allegations. Two crime reports  at least,  have been made within the last 10 years. Allegations of abuse were also, it has been suggested, made before 1963, to Warwickshire Police but no records appear to have been kept of the original report and no actions were apparently taken. Also the Church of England has also been informed because of the role B P had in taking services at Idlicote and previousy at Greshams.
Previously there were  allegations were made on the now defunct FriendsRe-United website. Please can anyone wishing to report any allegations do so with supporting evidence or allow this thread to cease.

Offline TeddyB

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 06 May 20 06:39 BST (UK) »
Does anyone remember this school?  My Dad taught there at the time I was born.  I visited the area a couple  of years ago but it seemed to have reverted back to a private house.  I'd really like a few stories about the school as it was in about 1956 - how big, how many masters and staff, what age kids, etc.
I was at the schooltwo years after it started. as a day boy. There were about 47 boys day and boarding. I was there for two tears before going toBilton Grange Prep School near Rugby. Rember a lot of what already on this site including Mrs.Parsons a lovely woman Lamp;s mother. His sister taught music. Miss Blenkinsop wore a blue gown and gave the boys in her class toy soldiers! Remember the plunge baths in the gym after soccer/rugby. Table tennis with curved back screen. Lamp was good player himself. After two years the school numbers had increased to over 100. He was progressively blind as was his sister. Remember playing soccer on the farmers field below the school and crying cos it so cold. I was goal keeper! Remember Peebles family - local farmers - Brian executive for Barclays Bank. Two brothers ran farm and butchers shop in Shipston. Seymour whose family farmed at Honnington. Rick Argyle who was in Rhodesia, farmed near Banbury and soon moving back to Stratford-upon-Avon. Edmunds from same. John Cook whose family farmed south of Shipston then Eynsham, Oxford. Bought land in Canada and now with large arable acreage there. Among others ! Spencers in Shipston were official outfitters. Hair cuts at school by hairdresser from Shipston ….. Hope this might stir some memories !

Offline Chauffeurman

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 07 November 21 17:33 GMT (UK) »
I attended Idlicote House School from 1958 until 1963 as a boarder. I only lived in Banbury but my father was adamant that I boarded. I was very homesick for the first couple of terms but eventually settled down and for the most part enjoyed my time there. Barney was a strange man whose eyesight was very suspect and I wondered how much he could actually see. He used to drive us down to the playing fields sometimes in an old Hillman estate. The staff consisted of his mother who used to play the organ at the local church, his sister Barbara, who tried to teach us ballroom dancing. We reckoned she had the hots for  Mr. Fowler, deputy head and maths teacher. There were A and B houses whose headquarters were in the courtyard and you stored your tuckboxes there. Mr. Allen was the handyman who kept the playing fields cut and filled the paraffin heaters during the winter to heat the outside classrooms. His wife used to work in the kitchen and serve up typical school food. I read in another comment where a lot of the food used to go in the grandfather clock - how it ever kept going is a mystery.  Remember the dormitories with the loose floorboards where we would stash food for midnight feasts. I had a transistor radio which I used to listen to 208 Radio Luxembourg. Occasionally Barney would try and catch us out but we had a good Kay Vee system! Barney would fall asleep during lessons and you had his two smelly dogs wandering around the hall and we would feed them aniseed balls. He would then walk to the back of the class and knock on the door. He would then say "Come in" just to catch you turning round! Mrs Blenkinsop took art classes and unfortunately suffered with body odour. A lady called Mrs. Palmer used to visit once a week and tried to teach us to sing! On some nights before lights out, Barney would tell his Yellow Button stories which were always popular and he would dish out Huntley & Palmer biscuits. Each term Barbara Parsons would put on a play. My father was not keen that I should take part in any acting and wrote to Barney who took no notice.
Hence I've never tried any since. Webbs coaches used to take us to the outdoors baths weekly at Chipping Camden. I am somewhat perturbed to read about sexual abuse and certainly didn't witness any whilst I was there. All in  all I enjoyed my time there which set me up for later life.