Author Topic: Death while in the Army WW2  (Read 1083 times)

Offline cherryberry

• RootsChat Member
  • Where's that mouse???
    • View Profile
Death while in the Army WW2
« on: Thursday 15 February 07 11:15 GMT (UK) »
I have a Charles Gallagher who was knocked down by a car in 1942  by we think a Amy officer. Charles in the army at  the time  and he was walking along a road with his mate when  this happened. The mate was also knocked over but he was ok.  Charles was killed  also a girl was killed  further along the road by the same car. She  it is thought she was in  WAF or ATS or she could have been a civilian  my father in law who was only 9 at the time cant remember much only what he was told years later and then it was very vague by his mother  .  Charles was his older brother.    My Father in law  has said that it was all hushed up and the trial was in Camera.   

Is  there any way I would be able to  get to the records  62 years after, if I could where would I write to ?  or  even   would it have been in the papers  if the girl had been a civilian. This all happen in Hull or around that area.

Thank you for any ideas on this

Regards Cherryberry

Northumberland  Rutherford, Irwin
Jarrow co Durham. Rutherford, Douglass, Kilgour. Fairweather. Gallagher,Rogers.Hymers
South Sheilds Co Durham Elsy Rames.
Norfolk Elsy. Feathstone Amis
Leeds Yorkshire Rigby Gaunt Gillett
South Petherton Somerset Marks,Sweet Gayleard Lawrance,Marsh

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Wendi

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Peeking into the past
    • View Profile
Re: Death while in the Army WW2
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 February 07 12:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi cherryberry

Perhaps the first thing to do would be to get his death certificate, to confirm cause and place of death.

Wendi  :)
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it,
unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

SCOTT ~ Monmouthshire & Glamorgan
BUCKLEY ~ Cork & Manchester
FRANKLIN ~ Clerkenwell, London
BRADY ~ Kildare & Manchester
DERICK ~ France
FRIEND ~ Kent & Portsmouth
TYLDESLEY ~ Lancashire

Offline cherryberry

• RootsChat Member
  • Where's that mouse???
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 February 07 18:18 GMT (UK) »
I have  just sent off for the cert  will just to wait to see what comes up. thank you for your reply ;D

Regards Cherryberry

Northumberland  Rutherford, Irwin
Jarrow co Durham. Rutherford, Douglass, Kilgour. Fairweather. Gallagher,Rogers.Hymers
South Sheilds Co Durham Elsy Rames.
Norfolk Elsy. Feathstone Amis
Leeds Yorkshire Rigby Gaunt Gillett
South Petherton Somerset Marks,Sweet Gayleard Lawrance,Marsh

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 15 February 07 18:40 GMT (UK) »
After the certificate, and checking the details, a check in the local paper where it happened might be an option. If you can not get to the library to check them out yourself an enquiry to the local history studies librarian with the details that you are looking for may pay off. However as it was war time it may not appear due to certain restrictions on information given out.

old rowley
Claxton- East London & Essex<br />Cuthbert- Mile End East London <br />Edwards - East London & Essex<br />Goll- Norfolk<br />Harris-Mile End East London<br />Hurr - Suffolk<br />Law- Bethnal Green East London<br />Moll- East London<br />Robinson- Bethnal Green East London<br />Tait- Argyll & Glasgow<br />Thompson Shoreditch East london<br />Watson- Glasgow<br />Wood- Bethnal Green East London<br /><br />Local history interest; Noak Hill & Harold Hill Essex<br /><br />census information crown cop

Offline Wendi

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Peeking into the past
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 15 February 07 19:21 GMT (UK) »
old rowley are we are becoming a double act  ;D

However as it was war time it may not appear due to certain restrictions on information given out

So, hoping that his certificate gives you 1/2 way decent information, and you've checked the newspapers, I'd go for his service record.

Wendi  :)
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it,
unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

SCOTT ~ Monmouthshire & Glamorgan
BUCKLEY ~ Cork & Manchester
FRANKLIN ~ Clerkenwell, London
BRADY ~ Kildare & Manchester
DERICK ~ France
FRIEND ~ Kent & Portsmouth
TYLDESLEY ~ Lancashire