Author Topic: Age Rounding in 1841 Scottish Census  (Read 6344 times)

Offline yn9man

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Age Rounding in 1841 Scottish Census
« on: Friday 16 February 07 20:53 GMT (UK) »
I am sure this has been discussed before on Rootschat but I couldn't locate the thread.

Does anyone know the reason(s) behind the rounding down of ages in the 1841 Scottish census?

Regards,

yn9man
Scotland - Adam, Galt/Gault, Mellis, Jardine, Turnbull, Robertson, Auchincloss, Murray, Allison/Allason, Mitchell, Cross, Rae, Brown, McHutcheon, Montgomerie, McKenzie, Mackay, McPherson, McInish

England - Saunders/Sanders, Jory/Jorie/Jura, McKey, Williams/ Wyllams,  Lance, Ellis, Trounson, Dingle, Charlton, Hambridge, Sweetman/Sweatman, Ricks/Rix/Reeks, Cole, Shearwood/Sherwood, Toy, Brooks, Moore, Donn, Nicolas, Habberfield,

Denmark - Alling/Aalling, Lastein, Lund, Rasmussen

Offline ScottishAncestry

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Age Rounding in 1841 Scottish Census
« Reply #1 on: Friday 16 February 07 21:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi yn9man,

I think it was basically because the census was taken not for genealogical purposes but just general statistics. Much like when we fill out questionairs today and they ask who in your household is aged between 0-16, 17-21, 21-30, 30-40 and so on. They didn't need exact ages so they don't take them.

Oh how I wish they did!

Emma

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 16 February 07 21:16 GMT (UK) »
It was the standard instruction given to all enumerators for the complete 1841 census in England, Wales and Scotland.  Not all of them carried out the instructions to the letter - bless them.  I'm looking in my books to see if there was a really good reason!

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline yn9man

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 16 February 07 21:50 GMT (UK) »
Emma and Nell -

Thank you both for responding to my question.

I have read the enumerator instructions many times hoping to see if I missed the "why" the rounding process or instructions.

If in fact the census was only for "general statistics" it would make sense to collect / obtain only general information. But wouldn't you want to know more exact than "round down by five years"?

Nell - Thanks for looking in your books to see if there was a really good reason.

Regards,

yn9man
Scotland - Adam, Galt/Gault, Mellis, Jardine, Turnbull, Robertson, Auchincloss, Murray, Allison/Allason, Mitchell, Cross, Rae, Brown, McHutcheon, Montgomerie, McKenzie, Mackay, McPherson, McInish

England - Saunders/Sanders, Jory/Jorie/Jura, McKey, Williams/ Wyllams,  Lance, Ellis, Trounson, Dingle, Charlton, Hambridge, Sweetman/Sweatman, Ricks/Rix/Reeks, Cole, Shearwood/Sherwood, Toy, Brooks, Moore, Donn, Nicolas, Habberfield,

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 16 February 07 22:05 GMT (UK) »
 :(

Unfortunately none of them show the reason behind the instruction.  Even the research guides on the National Archives website are silent about it.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline yn9man

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 20 February 07 18:53 GMT (UK) »
Nell -

Thanks for your efforts.

I looked at the National Archive site and also "googled" thinking the topic would have been discussed or at least mentioned. No luck ... :(  :(

Just another question or issue to keep me wondering and keep me guessing during my research.

Regards,

yn9man

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've updated my profile ......
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 20 February 07 19:00 GMT (UK) »
I'd go along with Emma's reason.

Altho the 1841 was the first 'useful' census from a genealogical PoV, the 1801/11/21 and 31 census, I believe were totally focused on demographics  ... just Head age, and headcount and occupation .....

The statistical reports driven off the census can be found online ...
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline yn9man

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 20 February 07 19:30 GMT (UK) »
The more I look into (research) this issue the more I think Emma "was right on" re demographics.

General information was collected for general purposes and no reason(s) were necessary.

yn9man