Author Topic: Somerset Quarter Sessions lookup  (Read 1325 times)

Offline d_woody

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Somerset Quarter Sessions lookup
« on: Saturday 17 February 07 10:26 GMT (UK) »
Lookup please for Joseph Toms (Thoms) tried for assault and robbery of William Tucker Toleman of 2 shillings on 31 March 1821 at Castle of Taunton. Punishment unknown, possibly transported to Australia. Joseph was born abt 1778 Isle Brewers Somerset.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline kwhite6

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Somerset Quarter Sessions lookup
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 October 10 19:41 BST (UK) »
I am also a descendent of Joseph Toms. He was sentenced to death but I believe that sentence must have been commuted. He was transported to the hulk, Justitia which was moored at Woolwich. He was paroled in 1827. I am also looking for further information about him and was curious whether you knew any more since your post?
Many thanks
Kate

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline RayWitt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Somerset Quarter Sessions lookup
« Reply #2 on: Monday 06 March 17 06:09 GMT (UK) »
Oh this is most interesting.
I too am related to Joseph Toms (my 4x great-grandfather) through his daughter Louisa.
Incidental it seems some of the family ended up in Australia, but not because of Joseph.