Author Topic: berryhill farm, moscow  (Read 5076 times)

Offline mlr0663

• RootsChat Member
  • I'm not as think as you confused I am
    • View Profile
berryhill farm, moscow
« on: Sunday 18 February 07 14:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi

does anyone have any knowledge of Berryill Farm in moscow by Fenwick.  I trying to trace the ancestors of my partners Mother, the Watt family, who spent some time living there in the early 1920's

Thanks
Margaret

Offline Cloud

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: berryhill farm, moscow
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 February 07 17:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Margaret,
This site has old maps
http://www.nls.uk/maps/early/index.html
From the drop down menu saying "Geographic Area" select "Scotland 1560-1928
The next screen is a list of maps, scroll to the bottom and select the last map in the list "1921-23 Ordnance Survey - One Inch "popular" edition maps of Scotland".
Then select Sheet 78 Kilmarnock and Ayr
The sheet will open up in a new window which will allow you to zoom in/out and move up/down or left/right.
The Berryhill is north east of Kilmarnock and south east of Fenwick.

Hope you don't get lost.
Yvonne

Offline mlr0663

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 19 February 07 07:48 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Yvonne.

Offline Derek Adams

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 16 October 16 13:13 BST (UK) »
Hello Margaret

I am related to the Watt family who moved to Berryhill between 1861-71 (Hugh & Agnes senior, my great great grand parents) and whose descendants  were still there in 1911. At that time the family of the late Willam & Agnes Watt (Hugh, Agnes, John, Willaim & Mary) lived there. William senior may have been dead by then but he was my great grandfather John Watt's older brother. John 'emigrated' to Essex in 1906/7, as another brother of his had done around 1900. Please get back in touch as I would like to know what your partner's connection is and if the names I have mentioned 'connect' with what you already know.

Kind regards, Derek

Offline mlr0663

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 31 December 16 12:39 GMT (UK) »
Hello Derek

Really sorry for the late reply, not been on this site for some time

Its also been a while since I looked at that side of the "tree" - will PM you with my email address and will dig out what I have on the Watt family

Margaret

Offline Sandrakaydee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 06 July 17 10:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Derek
I believe Hugh and Agnes (Currie) Watt's son William Watt (born 23 Feb 1845) is my great grandfather.
It is rather an interesting story.
William Watt married Agnes Allan 22 January 1875 they went on to have 5 children.
However before that William had an illegitimate son named David Young (born 18 June 1866 Fenwick) with Agnes Young, David is listed as illegitimate on his birth certificate with no father listed, There is however on the 23 July 1866 an entry called "Register of Corrected Entries" an order that names William Watt of Berryhill Kilmarnock as the father of David Young.
David my grandfather came to New Zealand in 1908 with 4 daughters and my father was born in NZ. Both passed away many years ago so it's been a real challenge to get this far.
Agnes Young married an Anderson and as yet have not managed to track her down but looks like she went to Canada. It is quite bizarre that all the women in his life were named Agnes.
If you are interested I have the certificates, have you done DNA mine is with Ancestry also on Gedmatch A759136. My family tree is on Ancestry.
Hope to hear from you
Sandra

Offline Derek Adams

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 04 February 18 19:38 GMT (UK) »
Hello Margaret

I emailed you before xmas from my new email address apologising for losing your email to me containing your Watt family tree information. Please can you be so kind as to re-send the details to my new email address.
I will email you again; so you know it is me, I'm from Essex originally and my great grand father wrote an autobiography entitled "The Life Story of an Essex Lad"

derek

Offline H P W

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 04 January 22 13:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sandra
William Watt was my great grandfather. There was a rumour in the family about an illegitimate child but could never find out anything as nobody ever talked about these things in the past.
William moved to Low Farm Kirkleathem near Redcar Yorkshire in 1875.
In 1881 he and his wife and their three children moved back to Berryhill Farm.
I have a day to day notebook of work and other events that happened on the farm between
May 1873 and October 1887.

HPW

Offline Sandrakaydee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 09 November 22 23:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi HPW
Would love to know who your grandfather was, which one of Williams children and if there are still family that live in that area. I am in New Zealand

Cheers
Sandra