Author Topic: bristol mother and baby home  (Read 15360 times)

Offline Lohu

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: bristol mother and baby home
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 20 September 18 10:28 BST (UK) »
Hi I'm replying to happy lady I was born there 22/06/1964 my mum was dylis owens was she there during your time.

Offline happylady

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 20 September 18 13:38 BST (UK) »
Yes, I do remember a girl called Dilys (not sure of the spelling.)  My baby had been born on 9th May, so Dilys came to the home a bit later than I did.  All I can remember is that she had dark hair and seemed quite reserved.  She wasn't very open about her 'story' and I think she was not from the Bristol area.  None of the girls actually gave birth to their babies in the home - we all went there either before and after the births, or - like me - from the hospital when the baby was about 10 days to two weeks old.  I do know that not all of the girls were local.  One of them had come from Devon, another from the London area, for example.  We stayed at the home usually for six weeks after the birth, when the babies would be collected by the adoptive parents (we didn't seem them) and we then had to leave immediately.  Please let me know if you would like more info about the 'home.'
Owen, Thomas, Webb, Wilcox, Reynolds, Rees

Offline Lohu

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 20 September 18 13:51 BST (UK) »
Oh my gosh that exactly how she is described in my file :-( apparently she left before I did.
I would so like to hear about life there if not to painful :-( so I can try to understand why we can't move past.
I don't know to much either about her story.
Thank u so much for your reply

Offline shelbynorris101

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 19 March 21 16:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi happylady,

I know this post is a few years old but I have just found out some information about my nan and she was also in a mother and baby home in Bristol around 63/64. Would like if we could chat, maybe she was in the same one as you at the same time?

Offline happylady

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 19 March 21 17:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi, there.  I think there were three mother and baby homes in Bristol at the time.  The one I know about was at 11-13 Snowdon Road, in Fishponds.  I was there middle of May to about the first week of July, 1964.  There was another home in the Ashley Hill area of Bristol, next to a bakery and a church, I think.  Would be happy to see if I remember your nan, if she was at Snowdon Road at the same time as me.  Just let me know.  Is there anything else I can tell you about?

Offline shelbynorris101

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 19 March 21 17:43 GMT (UK) »
Hiya! Thank you for getting back to me, I have no idea which one she was in, her name was Margaret Foale, she would’ve been in her late 20’s x

Offline happylady

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 20 March 21 11:02 GMT (UK) »
Sorry I can't help you.  I don't recall anyone of that name during my time at Snowdon Road Home, Fishponds.  That's not to say that she wasn't there - just that I can't remember anyone called Margaret.  Do you know exactly exactly when she was there?  Do you know the name of her baby?  If so, you could go to the General Register Office site and get a copy birth certificate.  You wouldn't even need the exact birth date - just the quarter and year when the baby was born. There is a facility for looking that info up, so long as you have a rough idea and the date of the mother.  If the surname you quoted was your nan's maiden name, you may be lucky to find her, as it's quite an usual name. You could then order a copy of the birth certificate.  Hope this helps.

Offline lindsayjenkins1

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 29 August 23 10:29 BST (UK) »
Hi, I have been searching for information about any unmarried mothers facilities in Bristol in 1960. I wasn't actually born there but my mum had arranged to stay at one until she changed her mind. I have always been curious about where I could  have been born. I saw your replies on a Google search and the home in Snowdon Road looks likely to me. I was just wondering if you would mind telling me a little about it

Offline happylady

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 29 August 23 15:24 BST (UK) »
Hi.  The former Snowdon Road mother and baby home is now residential, the house having been converted to flats.  You probably know that it is in the Fishponds area of the city.  Perhaps you have already done a Google search on the address?  What is it about the home that you are interested in?  Is it how we lived day to day, or the staff, or the 'girls' themselves, or what things were like in the sixties.  Do let me know and I will answer as best I can.  (Had a bit of trouble getting back onto the site - as you may see, I haven't been on it for a couple of years, so do hope you get this reply.)