Author Topic: "Ancestry" viewing trees  (Read 3077 times)

Offline bodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • bodger sen. jun.
    • View Profile
"Ancestry" viewing trees
« on: Wednesday 21 February 07 19:10 GMT (UK) »
Doe's one have to be a member of the above to view someones tree?, a relation has put his on the above and asked me to look at it, all i get is a request for money when i try to look. bodger
Attenborough, Bacon,Melbourne, Thorpe, Ride,Simpson/ Derbyshire, Judson,Bacon,/Keighley,
Lockett/ Manchester, Harling/ Lancaster & Manchester

Offline Comosus

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: "Ancestry" viewing trees
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 21 February 07 20:37 GMT (UK) »
You have to be a paid member to be able to send the first message to someone (although you can reply to messages that are sent to you) and you're not able to view other members' trees.

Andrew

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 21 February 07 21:24 GMT (UK) »
When you click on 'Family Trees' on the bar near the top of the Ancestry.co.uk home page, you will get to a page with a search form headed 'Search for Family Trees' .  This one won't work unless you are a subscriber. 

On the right hand side of the same page in the box headed 'Family Tree resources' is a link titled 'Search Ancestry World Tree',  the search form that this takes you to does seem to work for non-subscribers. 

I'm not sure what the important difference is between these two bits of Ancestry, and  don't know whether your relation's tree will be on the bit which you will be able to view, but  at least you can give it a go.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • bodger sen. jun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 22 February 07 08:50 GMT (UK) »
OK, thanks eor info. bodger
Attenborough, Bacon,Melbourne, Thorpe, Ride,Simpson/ Derbyshire, Judson,Bacon,/Keighley,
Lockett/ Manchester, Harling/ Lancaster & Manchester

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 22 February 07 10:40 GMT (UK) »
Remember that some of the ancestry trees can be searched through rootsweb

Bob
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com

Offline Chorlton

• RootsChat Member
  • Proudly born in Hyde
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 22 February 07 11:10 GMT (UK) »
There is a way to view trees on Ancestry without having to be a paid member.

I am not sure how to get to that bit, but it can be done, as I often view other peoples data, and I am not a paid member :)

There is a facility on ancestry, where a tree owner can invite someone to view their tree, for NO CHARGE.  The relevant page quotes:
Know someone who may be able to help you build your tree? Invite family members now to come see your tree. They will be able to view your tree for free.

I sent an invation to my daughter, and it was complicated for her, as it seemed to indicate that payment was needed, but I am sure we got there in the end.

Chorlton -  Ashton Under Lyne, Cheshire/Lancashire
Common - Halifax, Yorkshire & Scotland <a href="http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,198195.0.htmll">Common One Name Interests</a>
Clegg - Yorkshire
Barber - Ashton Under Lyne, Cheshire/Lancashire
Hadfield - Ashton Under Lyne, Cheshire/Lancashire
Whitley - Yorkshire

Any census information that I have included is Crown Copyright, as per: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/legal/copyright.htm

Offline MarkyP

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 22 February 07 13:52 GMT (UK) »
Chorlton is right, an ancestry member can invite someone else to look at their tree. They can even give them permission to edit it if they want too! Basically if you have a tree there will be a link to invite people to view your tree. From there you will have to give the person a name and enter their email address and click invite. The person invited then gets an email from ancestry with a link to view the tree. In the process of viewing the tree if the recipient isn't a member of ancestry they will be asked to register, this is completely free. But when registered they can look to their hearts content.  :)
Jerome - Hampshire (including IOW)
Parsons - Surrey, Somerset and Devon

Offline foggyjano

• RootsChat Senior
  • 5th Generation - Noah Thomas 1874
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 22 February 07 18:58 GMT (UK) »
I have  invited 7 members of my family to view my tree on line and they can all add and delete comments and pictures.  It was free for them to register and they havent been asked for any money, it is great fun sharing what you have discovered with other members of your family.... so ask your family member to send you an invite to view their tree...

Foggyjano
Thomas
Pearson 
Schofield
Stanton
Davies
Wallwork
Winnard
Evans
Saunders
Berry

Welsh in laws