Author Topic: William Owen, born c1832  (Read 2655 times)

Offline nsc

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
William Owen, born c1832
« on: Tuesday 23 November 04 22:37 GMT (UK) »
I'm trying to track down a William Owen, born possibly in the Wem area in c1832. He's possibly moved to Cheshire by 1861, though.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Neil

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jump into your genes...and dig up your roots
    • View Profile
Re: William Owen, born c1832
« Reply #1 on: Monday 29 November 04 12:41 GMT (UK) »
Neil

I had a quick look at the partial Civil Reg Index and the only William Owen born in Wem, Shropshire was this one:-

Name Year Quarter District County Volume Page 

OWEN, William 1844 December Wem Shropshire 18 193

I realise that the year is a lot later than your c1832. 

Have you found him in any of the census returns?  These should give you a birthplace. 

Jan :)

All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

TROW From Wales to New Zealand

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 29 November 04 12:43 GMT (UK) »
Just noticed that "Swift5" can do 1851 look ups for Shropshire http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=4728.0.

You may find something helpful!!!

All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

Offline nsc

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 29 November 04 21:20 GMT (UK) »
Dear Jan

Thanks very much. The census returns have him born in Worleston, near Nantwich in Cheshire. But the Parish Records reveal nothing. He married into a family that had moved from Wem, and I wondered if his had done the same. Anecdotally, my late uncle always had him down as the 'Molecatcher' of Wem, but this is probably romanticism.

Thanks again.

Neil ;)

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 30 November 04 08:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Neil

Good luck with your search anyway.  Don't you just love those brickwalls ??? >:( ;D

Offline Baudoux

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 26 November 17 13:54 GMT (UK) »
I am a senior from N ova Scotia Canada.  I am connected to the owens' through my Great Aunt Sabina Leese who was married to George brother of William.

Is this of any help

Regards,
Doris Baudoux