Author Topic: wills beneficiary index look-up  (Read 2465 times)

Offline Neko

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
wills beneficiary index look-up
« on: Wednesday 24 November 04 01:30 GMT (UK) »
does anyone have access to this? I'm looking for a break through on my female ancestors, who have remained very elusive to date. I appreciate any help.

Hannah Cross nee Smith, b. Dec 12 1785 of Colchester, wife of Joseph Cross, Jr.   They removed to America and this date is from her tombstone. No death record was filed for her, but her tombstone states that she d. 30 Aug 1874 and the 1870 census places her in Navarre, Stark, Ohio, USA.

Elizabeth Cross nee Richards, b. abt 1755 of Colchester, death date unknown but d. after 11 Nov 1820, assume in Colchester, wife of Joseph Cross, Sr. There are possible ties for her to Lawford, Essex. I had hoped she would be one of the Elizabeth Cross’s of Colchester listed so far in the BMD but she isn’t.

Hannah Cross nee Hawkins b. 26 Jan 1709 in Colchester, d. 4 Apr 1782, Colchester, the wife of Edmund Cross, Jr. and the daughter of Matthew Hawkins and Hannah Gage.

Hannah Hawkins nee Gage b. abt 1689 of Colchester, d. 28 Jan 1748/49, Colchester, the wife of Matthew Hawkins. She predeceased him.

Susannah Freeman nee Rayner b. abt 1660 of Harwich, Essex, d. unknown, but between 1686 and 1703, the wife of John Freeman-he was of Acton, Suffolk and they removed to Walton, Suffolk. Their intention to marry is listed in the records of the Colchester Quaker meeting house, but their marriage is not there and I have failed to find it. She predeceased him.

any mention of a child, Augustin Smyth, mother Jane/Joan/Johanna before 1687 would be of interest, as well.

I am also looking for the will of these men;

Edmond Crosse d. 14 Aug 1665 Woodbridge, Suffolk

Edmond Cross d. 2 Nov 1766 Colchester, Essex

Edmund Cross d. 14 Mar 1793 Colchester, Essex

I have searched the 'films available through the Mormon library, the index to the wills of the PCC, SEAX and A2A (DocumentsOnline) to no avail. they may not exist, or I may have missed them. I don't know.
Airey Aitken Atkinson Alston Barr*tt Cross Freeman Gage Harlock Harris Hawkins Head Hudd Parker Peckover Pennington Rayner Richards Seaman Smith Smyth Waterfall

Elizabeth Burnham, Mary Church, John Davis Cooper, Hannah Cork, Aubrey Cross, Mary J. Docwra, Elizabeth Griffiths, Chas Halifax, John Head, Lavinia King, Mary & Martha Mayhew, Alfred Augustus Mayo, Wm Pettit, Hezekiah Richards, Martha Sewell, Rebecca Sidnell, Hannah Smith, Augustin Smyth, Annie Southan, Catherine Till/Tell, Fanny Watt