Author Topic: William James Bryden - Dumfries  (Read 17336 times)

Offline margt

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William James Bryden - Dumfries
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 25 August 09 11:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Diana, yes, this is "our" connection. This is a great photo! I believe the Morrise is a transcription error and should read Munsie. Margt

Offline barbarab1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 10 January 10 19:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I know this post is very old but I am doing my family tree and am also related to William James Bryden from Dumfries - wanted to chat to anyone but not sure whether I should write it all down in case its a waste of time - if anyone reads this, please post to say you are still around? Regards, Barbara

Offline margt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 10 January 10 21:23 GMT (UK) »
Good morning Barbara! I am still around ... Margaret, New Zealand

Offline barbarab1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 10 January 10 21:32 GMT (UK) »
oh thats fantastic, hello there!! So just wondered what your connection to William is - mine is a very long and complicated story but just wanted to hear yours first? Barbara

Offline margt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 10 January 10 21:38 GMT (UK) »
I relate to Helen (Ella) Hastings who married his brother Bob. I have been told they were relatives on the Munsie/Kerr side of the family. (see my earlier postings).  Margaret

Offline barbarab1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 10 January 10 21:44 GMT (UK) »
oh okay... well my GGGrandfather was William Bryden, who had a son John, Roberts brother - he married Mary Aitken, and their daughter was Mary Bryden, then she had a daughter called Adele and then there was me, also called Adele (I was adopted as a 6 week old baby, hence the name Barbara).  Have you managed to do much research since your post?

Offline Ronbucks

• RootsChat Member
  • The Lion Rampant;The Flag Of The Kings Of Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 23 March 10 11:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,

I am researching my Hastings/ Hairstones etc family from the Morton Thornhill area. I would appreciate any information on this family and I am most interested to know if there is an information (MIs) regarding this family in Greenhead or Morton, Thornhill Cemeteries.

Any Dumfrieshire info' on this family would be greatly received.

Regards

Ron
Brown, Easson, Baird, Wilkie, Winton, Minto, Devine, Hill, Porter, Bruce, Halket, Martin, Watson, Devine, Galloway, Fernie, Abercrombie, Skirving, Hunter, Aitken, McNair, Wishart, Tyrie, Smith, Fairweather, McLean, De Palma, Hastings, Russell, Christie, McDead, Gartshore, Chalmers, Fyall, Anderson

Offline margt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 23 March 10 17:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ron. I can't answer the question regarding MIs maybe someone else out there would know.
Before I visited Dumfries a couple of years ago, I enquired about Hastings graves through the cemetery office (by email). They were unable to help because they only keep a burial book. There is no double reference by surname. If you have time to wait, they trawl through their records for you.
However, I popped in to the cemeteries to find relatives including Hastings at Thornhill. I found quite a few of the Hastings graves, all in the old part of the cemetery. Good luck in your search. 

Offline DLG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 10 March 11 22:03 GMT (UK) »
My husband is related to the Kerr/Hastings/Munsie side and I am currently in Thornhill.  We have pictures of a teapot given to Helen Munsie who was born on May 6, 1878, and died on July 23 1918..

I also have the family tree from Robert Munsie b July 28 1788 - died April 10 1865...

I have a lot of other information on the Munsie/Kerr/Hastings/McCaig but I just got it on scraps of paper from a great-cousin and need to put it together!

I would appreciate any help putting this altogether!

Dianne