Author Topic: John Price  (Read 6176 times)

Offline rosielewis

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
John Price
« on: Sunday 25 February 07 15:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I am new to this, never been in chat room before, so bear with me.
I am getting very frustrated! Trying to locate my great Taid John Price.In the 1901 census he is in Llanidloes, he is a Blacksmith there. He was born in approx 1856 in Llanfyllin, so it says on the census. He is married to Mary and has 7 children Mary,Catherine(my Nain) David,Evan,Edward, Ethel and Agnes. My Nain always said that he married twice, so he has more children! The thing is I cant find him anywhere else, he is not on any of the other census years only the 1901 If anyone can suggest anything or know anything about the Price's I would be very grateful. My Nain always said they were a family from Foel, so I was suprised to se Llanfyllin and Llanidloes.
Rosie
Staples, Anglesey and Liverpool, Worthington Liverpool, Price Montgomeryshire, Lewis Montgomeryshire

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Price
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 25 February 07 16:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rosie

Welcome to Rootschat!  :)

I have unlocked the topic for you (you won't get any replies otherwise, lol!)

I wonder what you know for sure about this family?  Do you have your Nain's birth or marriage certificate, for example - can you post all the details if you do, please?

You will know that PRICE is not an uncommon name in Wales, so we need to b e sure we have the right one!

Is there someone old enough to remember whether the other names are correct?

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline rosielewis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 25 February 07 16:52 GMT (UK) »
what does unlock the topic mean???? I can see the padlock thing so i presume I have to click it?
Yes all the info is correct about John Price, and the names of his children are also correct. I just can't fathom out why he doesn't appear on any of the other welsh census.
Rosie
Staples, Anglesey and Liverpool, Worthington Liverpool, Price Montgomeryshire, Lewis Montgomeryshire

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 25 February 07 16:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rosie

Don't click the padlock - it stops anyone else from replying.

You don't say whether you have the certificates?

Will have a look in 1891 for you

;)

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline rosielewis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 25 February 07 17:01 GMT (UK) »
No dont have any certificates, but John Price was definately born 1856/1857 Llanfyllin Montgomeryshire, living at 86, Cemetry square Llanidloes in 1901 Nain was born May 5th in 1891 catherine Price.

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 25 February 07 17:04 GMT (UK) »
Here is the 1901 census detail, in case anyone needs it

RG13/5192/15/17

John PRICE H M 45 - blacksmith - Montgomeryshire Llanfyllin
Mary W M 34 - do Llanwrddyn
Mary E dau 12 - Llanfyllin
Catherine dau 10 - do
David son 8 - do
Evan E son 6 - do
Edward son 3 - Llanidloes
Ethel dau 1 - do
Agnes dau 6 months - do

Address: Cemetery Square, Llanidloes, Montgomeryshire

;)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 25 February 07 17:21 GMT (UK) »
Best I can do so far ...

RG12/4600/108/12

John PRYCE H M 40? - blacksmith - Meifod
Mary W M 35 - Llanwyddyn
John son U 20 - grocer's? assistant - Meifod
Edward son 18 - blacksmith - do
Alison dau U 16 - at home - do
Margaret dau 14 - do
James son 11 - scholar - do
Ellis son 5 - do
Mary dau 1 - do

Address: Trout cottage, Meifod, Montgomeryshire

;)

Offline rosielewis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 27 February 07 10:01 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the John Pryce of Meifod, what year was that? Dont think its the same great Grandfather, mine was definately Price with an i and I think I would remember my Nain mentioning some of the names if they were her brothers and sisters.
I cant work out where he was before the 1901 census. My Nain did marry a Meifod man though, Pryce Lewis they lived at Caethle farm Meifod, and I have so many wonderful memories of staying in Meifod as a child.
I am trying to work my way round the sight and am not very good at all this, but I will stick at it cos its great to find others who are passionate about family history!
Rosie

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 28 February 07 08:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Rosie

The census above was 1891.

The Meifod connection sounds promising, but it still could be a false trail!

It is unfortunate that although the Mary matches in both censuses, there is no Catherine to tie the two families together 1891 - 1901.  It could be however that she was born later that year.

I would not get too worried about the spelling of the surname though.  It is something quite modern to be concerned about it and often people were not literate enough to check.  I doubt the enumerator asked how they spell it.  :)

I think I would be inclined to look for a certificate for Catherine's birth.  You might need to contact the relevant registrar to make sure you get the right one.

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)