Author Topic: Help!!! Can't find my ALLENS  (Read 5056 times)

Offline georgiana

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help!!! Can't find my ALLENS
« on: Monday 26 February 07 15:24 GMT (UK) »
Hello everyone :) 

I'm new to Roots and wondered whether anyone could help with my elusive Allens.

Henry ALLEN b 1867 Avening, Glos (have cert) partner Mazillia LOVERIDGE b 1865 Horsley, Glos (info LDS). No marriage found.

Children

Herbert Ernest ALLEN            b  1889 Rodborough, Glos  (have cert)
Andrew J          ALLEN            c  1890 Staines, Middlesex
George E          ALLEN            c 1899 Rodborough, Glos. Died 1918 (family memorial card)
Ivy                    ALLEN            c  1900

1891 census. Rockness Hill. Horsley, Stroud. In a shed.

Henry ALLEN                 24  Road labourer           Nailsworth Glos
Mazella                         25                                   Shiptons Lane
Herbert E                        2                                   Kings Court, Rodborough, Glos
Andrew J                         8 months                      Middlesex, Nr Staines

There must have been other children I would have thought given the age gap between Andrew and George.
I have been unable to find them in 1901. I have searched with every different spelling I can think of.

CWWG information for death 1918 of George Edward Allen gives His parents as Henry and Ellen ALLEN of 9 Alfred St Reading.

About a year ago I decided to concentrate on Ivy Allen as I had made contact with another researcher who had given me new information.

Ivy ALLEN  (b) c 1900  married  Harry John Cockle 02/10/1920 Rodborough,Stroud.
Ivy Cockell (her grandson insists) died 1934  Stroud, Gloucester .

I had already trawled 1920-1940 on Ancestry as I remembered my Mum saying that her aunt had died in Stroud and she had died quite young. I couldn’t find her. Armed with new info I thought I must have missed her and searched again five years either side just to make sure. Still couldn’t find her so I e-mailed Gloucestershire Archives giving them every scrap of information. They couldn't find her either but they did give me two other names: Ivy's husbands father and brother, they tie in with the address I had given them.

Any help or suggestions on where to go next gratefully recieved.
Jan
ALLEN.
DUCKETT.
MARKS.
LOVERIDGE.
LOCK.
STEPHENS/STEVENS.
COCKLE.
SMITH
DAVIS
HUNT
GREGORY
AYERS
MORGAN
PAGINTON

My ancestors travelled Wiltshire, Gloucestershire, Oxfordshire, Berkshire, Buckinghamshire, Middlesex

Offline stroudie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Help!!! Can't find my ALLENS
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 May 13 21:31 BST (UK) »
Hello

I have just come across your post while doing a Google search in connection with names on Rodborough war memorial.

There are 2 Allens whom we believe to be sons of Henry & Ella Allen of 9 Alfred St, Reading.

George Edward was killed in action in France in 1918 and WL Allen ( same parents) died in 1917 and is buried in Rodborough Churchyard with a Commonwealth War Graves headstone.

Your query is listed under travelling families. Were the Allens travellers?  Do you have a copy of the memorial card? We (local history Group) would be most interested if you have any more information.

Best wishes
Julie

Offline georgiana

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 30 July 13 08:16 BST (UK) »
Hello Stroudie

My Allens married into gypsy families hence my post on here. Stevens and Loveridge gypsy families mainly.

We did have a war memorial card for George Edward Allen but unfortunately this was lost in a house fire.
William Allen would fit but so far I haven't been able to find any other information about him.

Kind regards
Georgiana
ALLEN.
DUCKETT.
MARKS.
LOVERIDGE.
LOCK.
STEPHENS/STEVENS.
COCKLE.
SMITH
DAVIS
HUNT
GREGORY
AYERS
MORGAN
PAGINTON

My ancestors travelled Wiltshire, Gloucestershire, Oxfordshire, Berkshire, Buckinghamshire, Middlesex

Offline cath151

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 30 July 13 09:07 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I can t find them either in 1901. They are on the 1911 census living in Stroud.
We are unable to give details of 1911 but there do look to be more children if number of chidren born/still living was correctly entered, there is definitely one child born after 1901. If they were married, and there does nt seem to be any obvious records then it would have been around 1884.

Cathy :)
Sinnock/Sinnicks...Brighton,Greenwich.
Clements,Coles,Mc Donagh,Rock

Census InformationCrown Copyright from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline cath151

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 30 July 13 09:23 BST (UK) »
Noticing the surname Lock in your interests there is
Death  JFM 1936 Stroud
Ivy M Locke
aged 35

Ivy s middle name was May, no reason at all to think its your Ivy really though.

Cathy
Sinnock/Sinnicks...Brighton,Greenwich.
Clements,Coles,Mc Donagh,Rock

Census InformationCrown Copyright from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline georgiana

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 30 July 13 10:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Cathy

Thank you for the info.

I perhaps should have said that I have found a lot more info for my Allens since I first posted here.

Ivy Allen was in fact Evelyn May b 1903. Married Harry Cockell Stroud 1920, died aged 26 1930 Stroud.
I have them in the 1911 census. With William now added to the list there's just one more to find.

Kind regards
Georgiana
ALLEN.
DUCKETT.
MARKS.
LOVERIDGE.
LOCK.
STEPHENS/STEVENS.
COCKLE.
SMITH
DAVIS
HUNT
GREGORY
AYERS
MORGAN
PAGINTON

Offline Lisa cockell

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 17 April 14 09:17 BST (UK) »
Hi, I've just come across your post and was excited to see someone else trying to hunt down information on the Allen/Cockell family.
I am the great granddaughter of Ivy Allen & Harry Cockell. Their son, my grandfather was also Harry John Cockell & was born at Tabernacle walk. He was very young when his mother died & was brought up by his father. His eldest son, also Harry John, my father knew very little of the family history.
Ironically I married a Stevens, who I'm no longer with & now live a few miles from the Cockell & Allen family homes. I'm now in the village of Horsley.
I have traced the Cockell side back generations & am happy to send it all to you if you'd like it. As you've obviously discovered the Allens aren't so easy to trace. I'm not at home at the moment so can't tell you everything I know about them. But I'll send it all to you over the weekend.
Mazilla was born in a gypsy caravan on Selsley Common & I can show you the exact spot if you'd like to know.
The house in tabernacle walk is still there as is the house the family lived in at Rockness. I'll send you photographs of both.
Ivy & Harry had three children in total.
Can I ask how you are related to them?
I hope my message will reach you as I can see you posted your message years ago.
Anything specific that your looking for I'd be happy to help if I can.
Lisa Cockell

Offline stroudie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 27 February 18 11:39 GMT (UK) »
Hello

This may be ages too late for anyone to be following! We are researching the names on Rodborough's war memorial and have a particular interest in George Edward and William Leonard Allen.

We would love to identify the house where they lived in Tabernacle Walk. We have press information about the war deaths.

I made a note that one of the children of Mazilla and Henry Allen was born at Rubble Hole, but I'm not sure where this information came from. Can anyone confirm?