Author Topic: Descendants of Robert Stephenson and Mabel Carr  (Read 42814 times)

Offline JAMoore

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Descendants of Robert Stephenson and Mabel Carr
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 18 January 09 18:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Guys!

I wonder if you could help me too??

My husbands grandma who recently died always claimed that her mum was a decendant of 'the' Robert and George Stephenson.

In the research I have seen on the RobertStephensontrust.com website it claims that James (brother of George, uncle of Robert) didn't have any children. Because of this I had excluded this line of research & I have been continuing the other lines - brother Robert 1788-1837 and I plan to look at John too (as Elanor didn't have any children and Ann moved to the USA).

The earliest I can get so far is when Matthew Robson married Isabelle Ord Alderson. Does any one have any information any earlier than this which will help me continue on my quest to find family members? 

Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Janice

Offline rsroper

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 18 January 09 21:07 GMT (UK) »
Janice.
The Robert Stephenson Trust website does not say that James Stephenson had no children. He had three daughters but they did not have any children.

I am afraid that the names Robson or Alderson are not in the tree of the Stephensons. Sorry about that

Bob

Offline julia_pse

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 19 August 09 21:46 BST (UK) »
Hi

My dad's sister gave him a hand drawn tree, showing Robert & Mabel Carr, 3 of their children - Robert b.1788, George b.1781 and John b.1789.  John married Mary in 1810, and they are shown as having 2 children - George Robert b.1819 and James b. 1816.  This James married a Mary and they had a child Emma b.1832. 

This Emma is allegedly the same Emma who appears on my family tree as Emma Steventon who married a George Westwood b.1830 Wolverhampton d.1871 who had 8 children, Emma b.1854, Cornelius b.1856, James b.1856, George b.1861, William Alfred b.1864, Edwin b.1866, Amelia b.1868 and John b.1871

I am then descended from William Alfred.

I would be very interested to learn of any information which could prove/disprove this allegation that I am descended from Robert & Mabel.

Thanks in advance for any help that anyone can give me.

Julia

Offline rsroper

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 20 August 09 17:58 BST (UK) »
Julia,
I was interested that you have John Stephenson marrying a Mary. Actually he married Hannah Forster at St Johns Newcastle. Can you say where you found Mary?
Was it on the family tree that you have and have you checked it
Let me know what you think,
Bob

Offline julia_pse

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 20 August 09 18:36 BST (UK) »
All the information I gave was researched by my Dad's sister, over 7 or 8 years ago now, so I am unable to tell you where it came from.  I have only just started looking at family trees, so have not yet checked out any of the information on the trees that my Dad has passed to me.

I presume since that bit was inaccurate then none of the rest adds up!  Did any of the Stephensons marry a Mary in 1810 in Newcastle?

Thanks for the reply.

Julia

Offline ozsearch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 25 October 09 09:45 GMT (UK) »
My husband's aunt (aged 90) is sure that George Stephenson was an uncle to her father (not sure how many greats in front of uncle). Her father's name was John and he came out to Australia and married in Sydney in 1870. We have no information about his birth date.  The only other information Aunty knows is that John, Charles and Sarah were the 3 original Stephensons to come to Australia.

Do you have any information that might help solve the puzzle?

Offline clazey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 25 October 09 11:45 GMT (UK) »
I have a Stephenson brick wall...Ann Stephenson who had a daughter Mary Ann Stephenson.  On the marriage certificate for Mary Ann and Archibald Harper Donaldson, it is stated that Ann is a single woman.    Anyone have found any Anns who may not have married but had a child?

Sharon
Tough, Keith, Kerr, Donaldson, Clazey, Stephenson, Jardine, Spry, Jewell. Oswald, Middlemiss, Harper, Carter, Hutchinson, Scott, Lamb.

Offline ozsearch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 25 October 09 19:26 GMT (UK) »
I have reread my earlier posting and John Stephenson was Aunty's grandfather (not father).

Deb

Offline Merve

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 25 October 09 19:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everyone,
I'm trying to find out more information about the origins of an ancestor of mine, Hannah Stenson (born around 1837 in Gloucestershire - Coleford ?). I know she was living in the household of John Forester Stenson and Elizabeth Stenson (nee Stephenson) in Leicester from 1841 to the time of her first marriage in 1862. Her relationship to John Forester is stated as "Niece". I also know Elizabeth Stenson was the daughter of James Stephenson (the brother of George Stephenson), but I don't know how Hannah fits into the picture.

Thanks, in anticipation

Merve.