Author Topic: Descendants of Robert Stephenson and Mabel Carr  (Read 42983 times)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Descendants of Robert Stephenson and Mabel Carr
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 25 October 09 22:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everyone,
I'm trying to find out more information about the origins of an ancestor of mine, Hannah Stenson (born around 1837 in Gloucestershire - Coleford ?). I know she was living in the household of John Forester Stenson and Elizabeth Stenson (nee Stephenson) in Leicester from 1841 to the time of her first marriage in 1862. Her relationship to John Forester is stated as "Niece". I also know Elizabeth Stenson was the daughter of James Stephenson (the brother of George Stephenson), but I don't know how Hannah fits into the picture.

Thanks, in anticipation

Merve.

Hi Merve

Your request might be better placed on the Gloucestershire board, where Hannah's origins can be explored by locals.

Have you got either of her marriage certificates and what does she say about her father on them?  Who are the witnesses?

Have you tried registering on the Forest of Dean website, which has a lot of transcribed parish registers online?

Kind regards, Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Merve

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 26 October 09 09:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Arranroots,
Thanks for the prompt reply.
I'm new to this forum and chose this thread to post because I came across the post from Eileencrimond17 where she mentions John Forester Stenson and the Stephenson connection although I appreciate that this was some time ago. Unfortunately I have no certificates for this side of the family and I am working only from internet census data and BMD info. As the first census in which I encounter Hannah is 1841 I can follow her progress forward but not backwards. I also think her DOB is prior to Sept 1837 so no help there either. I can find no reference to her origin in the IGI either. Even though her surname is given as Stenson I know it was not uncommon for children to take the surname of the head of the household and I thought it was a possibilty that she could be related to the Stephenson side through Elizabeth.
I will pursue your recommendations on the other areas to search.

Once again thanks very much and by the way this is a great site.

Regards,
Merve

Offline vernpres

• I am very sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 25 November 09 06:45 GMT (UK) »
I'm trying to find out more information about the origins of an ancestor of mine, Hannah Stenson (born around 1837 in Gloucestershire - Coleford ?). I know she was living in the household of John Forester Stenson and Elizabeth Stenson (nee Stephenson) in Leicester from 1841 to the time of her first marriage in 1862. Her relationship to John Forester is stated as "Niece". I also know Elizabeth Stenson was the daughter of James Stephenson (the brother of George Stephenson), but I don't know how Hannah fits into the picture.

Hi Merve

I can give you some information about Hannah STENSON.  She was the daughter of Thomas Alexander STENSON who was a brother to John Forrester Stenson.  Their father was William STENSON, the Father of Coalville.  William Stenson is my GGG Grandfather.  Please send me an email at

Moderator comment: email address removed to prevent spam and other abuses - Rootschat policy.  Please use the Personal Message system to exchange such information.  You need to post a couple of times to activate the system.

so we can exchange information.  I am trying to compile all descendants of William Stenson.
Prescott, Stenson, Kirby, Bagshaw, Greenhalgh

Offline fizz83

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 17 May 10 13:14 BST (UK) »
Hi all, I'm researching my family tree, and from what I have been told gowing up is that there is a connection there between our family and that of George Stephenson "The Rocket"
All the information that I have found is that one of my descendants, Towart/Towhart or similiar was married to one of the Stephensons. If anybody has ever seen a connection there, I"d be grateful to hear about it. Or even where I can find information about his descendants.
My family is from around the Northumberland area and parts of Scotland as far as I know.
Thanks,
Rebecca

Offline Michael Dixon

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 17 May 10 20:55 BST (UK) »

Rebecca,

" ......was married to one of the Stephensons "  But which one ?

The internet is brimming on Stephenson family info.

But there were not many of them.

George born 1781 had one child Robert, born 1803,  who survived to adulthood. Robert had no children, so ending that line when he died in 1859 !

Robert/Mabel had a child ? before George.

Michael
Names.

GALLAGHER ( + variations).
Areas. Co Sligo, Co Leitrim, Co Mayo. IRELAND.
Ontario, CANADA
Lowell, Ma, USA
Counties of Northumberland & Durham, ENGLAND
-------------------------------------------------------------------
MALEY/MELIA/MALLEY  - with or without " O "
Westport Co Mayo. Northumberland
-------------------------------------------------------------------
DIXON
Cumberland.. Brampton, Carlisle, ENGLAND

Census information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.

Offline fizz83

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 18 May 10 05:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks Michael,
I don't know which of the Stephensons as of yet, I'm hoping to connect it to another family tree if I have no luck through Birth Certificates.
I shall keep hunting! Thanks for the info  :)

Offline Paul F Hope

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 23 May 10 14:16 BST (UK) »
Yes but George had three brothers John James and Rober also a sister Eleanor. I have an extensive tree of the Stevenson family if anyone would like to see it and comment on it please contact.

Paul

Offline Paul F Hope

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 23 May 10 14:18 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have a tree that I am researching for a friend that takes in The Stevenson family which includes George and Robert, maybe you could have a look at it and comment?

Paul

Offline jmichaeltaylor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 15 June 10 17:09 BST (UK) »
Your 'ph' has turned into a 'v'

The 'ph' Stephensons were 'English' engineers mainly associated with 'Railways'
the 'v' Robert Stevenson was a Scottish lighthouse Engineer
Stephenson
Engineers