Author Topic: Descendants of Robert Stephenson and Mabel Carr  (Read 42978 times)

Offline clazey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Descendants of Robert Stephenson and Mabel Carr
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 11 October 07 00:00 BST (UK) »
I have a Stephenson which I cannot connect anywhere...Mary Ann Stephenson who married Archibald Harper Donaldson.  Archibald's parents, Thomas Donaldson and Joannah Harper were married in 1853.  Mary Ann had a daughter, also Mary Ann.  Mary Ann died in New York City in 1915. 

Sharon
Tough, Keith, Kerr, Donaldson, Clazey, Stephenson, Jardine, Spry, Jewell. Oswald, Middlemiss, Harper, Carter, Hutchinson, Scott, Lamb.

Offline rsroper

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 11 October 07 15:35 BST (UK) »
Sharon,
As far as I know there was never a Mary Ann Stephenson in our family. Can you give some dates and places where she married, It may helpgive me some idea where to look.
FRegards, Bob

Offline DaveC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 13 October 07 20:19 BST (UK) »
Hi,
My mother says that she was told that her grandfather's second wife  said she was related to 'the' George Stephenson. I have disproved a couple such family stories and thought I'd have a go at this one.
The second wife was born Elizabeth Hebb in North Frodingham, Yorkshire in 1836. I have traced her parents to be Thomas Hebb and Isabella Stephenson.
Isabella's father was Marmaduke Stephenson. The only Marmadukes that fit, that I can find, were born in Yorkshire in the 1770's.
This seems to to rule out a connection to George, unless it was even further back.I would think that a name like Marmaduke would stand out and they seem to be still in Yorkshire.
I found this thread while looking for details on George's family.
Do any of the names mean anything to you?

Cheers,
     Dave

Offline rsroper

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 13 October 07 20:25 BST (UK) »
Dave,
Sorry, I can't place any of the nams you mention in the family of George Stephenson, unless it is much further back. I have no firm info before George's fathjer "Old Bob".
Rgards, Bob

Offline greenman

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 03 October 08 17:09 BST (UK) »
Hi,
My mother says that she was told that her grandfather's second wife  said she was related to 'the' George Stephenson. I have disproved a couple such family stories and thought I'd have a go at this one.
The second wife was born Elizabeth Hebb in North Frodingham, Yorkshire in 1836. I have traced her parents to be Thomas Hebb and Isabella Stephenson.
Isabella's father was Marmaduke Stephenson. The only Marmadukes that fit, that I can find, were born in Yorkshire in the 1770's.
This seems to to rule out a connection to George, unless it was even further back.I would think that a name like Marmaduke would stand out and they seem to be still in Yorkshire.
I found this thread while looking for details on George's family.
Do any of the names mean anything to you?

Cheers,
     Dave

Hello -
Nothing to do with the Rocket, but certainly to do with Stephenson. My grandfather's middle name was Stephenson (Arthur Stephenson Wright) and this always intrigued me as no relatives could suggest why it might be there. A bit of research turned up the fact that his father had married one Edith Hebb, daughter of Thomas Hebb and Isabella Stephenson, sister of Marmaduke. Any more information about the Stephensons or the Hebbs relating to their yorkshire origins, gratefully received. Thanks!
Wright, Gisborne, Stephenson, Weatherly, Hebb, Gray, Hudson, Belohlavek;
Middlesex: Hillingdon, Colham Green, Uxbridge, Hayes;
Yorkshire (East Riding): North Frodingham, Rise, Leven, Driffield;
Lincolnshire: Sleaford.
Bohemia, Czech Republic, Czechoslovakia, Pisek, Pribram, Prague.

Offline rsroper

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 03 October 08 19:40 BST (UK) »
Dave,
It is surprising how many peole think they have a connection with George and the Rocket. As far as I know Old Robert Stephenson came from Scotland I have never found his parents with any certainty. I know how many Stephensons there are in North Yorks. On the old IGI on fiche it was poassible to count the families, there were so many entries. I always look at such reports in the hope of something to help me, but no luck yet.
Bob

Offline Eileencrimond17

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 16 November 08 17:03 GMT (UK) »
I have another --slightly distant-- connection to George Stephenson!

A niece of George Stephenson--Elizabeth --married  John Forester Stenson 16/02/1836 at Whitwick Leics.. John Stenson was a son of William Stenson "father of Coalville." William was my 4 x great grandfather .
According to a newspaper report of the time, when William Stenson wanted to open a rail line for the mine he'd opened to join the main Leicester line, he asked George to come & give advice.Eventually, son Robert Stephenson developed this--the Swannington  & Leicester railway

Can anyone give me any details of a brother of George who would have been Elizabeth's father please? Elizabeth had a sister Mabel,who in 1851 was living with John & Elizabeth.  John died in  1863,. In 1871, the 2 sisters were living together in London Road Leicester.
Thank you
Munro, Ross, Gardner, Ballantyne, Higgins, Darroch --Scotland.
Moss, Stenson,Varnham, Smith, Turner. Harris. Yeats/Yates, Birkett, Askew, Walmsley. Allman.Laugharne --England
Mitchell. Higgins, Darragh-- Ireland

Offline rsroper

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 19 November 08 20:59 GMT (UK) »
Eileen,
Yes you are quite right. Elizabeth Stenson was one of three daughters of James Stephenson 1779-1847 George's elder brother. James and his youngest daughter Jane are buried at Coalville and their gravestones are in the church.
JFS and Elizabeth had no children. How are you connected to the Stensons?
I think there is a onename study of the Stensons.
I am descended from george's youngest brother John
Bob

Offline Eileencrimond17

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 19 November 08 21:40 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your reply Bob.

I had tried to trace Elizabeth's birth without success so I'm very pleased to learn who her father was-also, I had no idea that Elizabeth had another sister so thank you for that too.

I must see if I can get into the church at Coalville sometime -I have seen the outside--I have family in Nottingham & they took me to Coalville, Coleorton. Kirby Muxloe, Hugglescote & other local places associated  with William Stenson & his daughter Charlotte, but it was a quick tour round to give me an idea of the area..

My Stenson connection:

William & Hannah (Varnham) Stenson had a daughter Charlotte b1801

Charlotte m ( another) William Stenson-they had a son Thomas 1838

Thomas m Sarah Jane Mitchell --they had a daughter Charlotte b 1864

This Charlotte Stenson was my great grandmother

Yes--thank you--there is a one name Stenson study-Nigel Rixson got in touch with me some time ago, but I have been  fortunate in being able to contact other Stenson descendants  who have been helpful.

Eileen
Munro, Ross, Gardner, Ballantyne, Higgins, Darroch --Scotland.
Moss, Stenson,Varnham, Smith, Turner. Harris. Yeats/Yates, Birkett, Askew, Walmsley. Allman.Laugharne --England
Mitchell. Higgins, Darragh-- Ireland