Author Topic: GIDDINGS: March General Baptist Church  (Read 4735 times)

Offline AndrewMartin

• RootsChat Member
  • Tweet me: www.twitter.com/familytreeuk
    • View Profile
GIDDINGS: March General Baptist Church
« on: Wednesday 24 November 04 17:47 GMT (UK) »
My Gt. Gt. Grandmother, Sarah Elizabeth Giddings was born in 1852 to Miss. Elizabeth Giddings (b.1830), one of the daughters of Daniel Watson Giddings and his wife Sarah (ne้ Franks).

Now, i know what became of Sarah Elizabeth Giddings but quite what became of Elizabeth (my Gt. Gt. Gt. Grandmother) has remained a mystery to me.  I know that she was unmarried still up to mid July 1852 (when her illegitimate daughter Sarah was baptised) but she seems to disappear on the 1861 census.. so it's possible she married.

The above baptism (including Elizabeth's in 1830) took place in the General Baptist Church, March, Cambridgeshire but i seem to have gotten stuck.

There is at least one photo of Elizabeth years after Sarah's birth and she is with a man and several children which according to a relative, were hers. I'd like to know to whom she married and what became of her.

More info on my website.

Andrew Martin
Cambridgeshire, England.
https://www.familytreeuk.co.uk
https://familyhistoriespodcast.com

Researching: BABBIDGE, BAILEY, BARBER, BARKER, BISHOP, BOULTER, BOWERS, BRIGHTWELL, BURNELL, CLARKE, COOPER, CROSS, DEWEY, DEWSBURY, FLOWER, FREEMAN, GAWTHROP, GIDDINGS, GIGNER, GILBERT, GILLIONS, GOLTRIP, GOTHARD, HARRISON, HAWKINS, IRONS, JEFFERY, LEVITT, MARTIN, MODEN, NEWMAN, NEWELL, ONG, TALL, TAYLOR, TINGEY, WHITEHEAD, YARROW.

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: GIDDINGS: March General Baptist Church
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 November 04 19:30 GMT (UK) »
I think that if you check your own impressive website you will be able to trace Elizabeth on the 1861 census! The webpage states that Elizabeth was an ag lab on the 1861 census and sure  enough, there she is, aged 29 unmarried living with her parents Daniel and Sarah.

Which of course means that rather than looking for a possible marriage from 1852, you are starting from 1861.

There are two marriages on FreeBMD for Elizabeth Giddings in the registration district of North Witchford, which includes March. The first is in Dec 1862, the second in June 1864. Unfortunately neither gives the names of spouses as they haven't yet been transcribed.

However the March PR has a marriage on 2 June 1864 between William Peck and Elizabeth Giddings spinster 39 dau of James Giddings, farmer, so you can probably rule this one out.  It might be interesting to order the earlier  cert to see whether the father was Daniel.

There was an earlier marriage in the established church in March on 2 Nov 1858 between Edward Giddings son of Daniel, and Susan Payne where the witnesses were Watson Giddings and Elizabeth Giddings.

Regards

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline AndrewMartin

• RootsChat Member
  • Tweet me: www.twitter.com/familytreeuk
    • View Profile
Re: GIDDINGS: March General Baptist Church
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 November 04 20:22 GMT (UK) »
Erk!

Thanks David... That teaches me for typing from memory  ???.  I had thought that i had got her listed somewhere for the 1861 census - in fact i've got the whole Cambs 1861 census sitting here on my desk (on a cdrom).  I've also got the 1891 census and she doesnt appear to be on that one under her maiden name.

I think i shall check out your leads, thanks :)

Andrew Martin
Cambridgeshire, England.
https://www.familytreeuk.co.uk
https://familyhistoriespodcast.com

Researching: BABBIDGE, BAILEY, BARBER, BARKER, BISHOP, BOULTER, BOWERS, BRIGHTWELL, BURNELL, CLARKE, COOPER, CROSS, DEWEY, DEWSBURY, FLOWER, FREEMAN, GAWTHROP, GIDDINGS, GIGNER, GILBERT, GILLIONS, GOLTRIP, GOTHARD, HARRISON, HAWKINS, IRONS, JEFFERY, LEVITT, MARTIN, MODEN, NEWMAN, NEWELL, ONG, TALL, TAYLOR, TINGEY, WHITEHEAD, YARROW.