Author Topic: Jameson and Carnegie family, Bushmills area, mid 1800's-early 1900's  (Read 3524 times)

Offline emptynester

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jameson and Carnegie family, Bushmills area, mid 1800's-early 1900's
« on: Wednesday 28 February 07 01:59 GMT (UK) »
My grandmother , Agnes Matilda Jameson, was born in Ballyloughbeg, Bushmills area on January 21, abt. 1879. -emigrated to Dunbarton, Scotland early 1900's. She died Jan. 21, 1966 in Scotland.
  Her siblings were:
    Sarah Jameson, born 04 Jul, 1873
    Dallas Jameson, born 23 April, 1875 (emigrated to Scotland and United States.)
    Catherine Jameson, born 15 September, 1879
   Her parents were:
     Samuel Jameson, farmer
      Agnes Carnegie -( I have her membership card of 1906 for The Mother's Union. She lists "Billy Mountain" as her address.)
   Does anyone know where I need to look for dates regarding birth, marriage and deaths of  Samuel Jameson and Agnes Carnegie? I am just starting my family search.
   Is anyone else researching this family? I would love to know about my Irish relatives and would be very thankful for any help.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Jameson and Carnegie family, Bushmills area, mid 1800's-early 1900's
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 October 10 09:31 BST (UK) »
Going through old posts and found this one - have you already found the information on this family that you were looking for earlier? Since then lots of Irish resources have come online.

Here's Samuel and Agnes in 1901 census- daughters Sarah and Catherine are listed as well as a grandchild.
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Bushmills/Ballylough_Beg/943563

In the 1911 census Samuel and Agnes are on their own-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Bushmills/Ballylough_Beg/127343

From both census records Samuel was born c1845/c1848 and Agnes c1841 so well before the start of civil registration.

The LDS Pilot Site has the marriage-
Samuel Jamison, son of Jonathan, married 4 Nov.1867 Coleraine, to Agnes Carnegey, daughter of Peter. The actual marriage certificate will list exact place of marriage, residences of bride and groom and names of 2 witnesses.

There are more children-
Louisa born 20 March 1868 (page 553 in civil register)
Samuel James born 1 Oct.1869 (page 470 in civil register)
Peter born 3 Nov.1871 (page 464 in civil register)

The civil registration index is also now online and you can search for Samuel and Agnes' deaths in the index (goes up to 1921 for Northern Ireland counties)-
http://search.labs.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=collectionDetails&c=fs%3A1408347
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 October 10 09:46 BST (UK) »
Samuel and Agnes married in Coleraine Civil Registrars Office on the date which Aghadowey gave.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline E_D_Jamieson

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 26 January 16 05:11 GMT (UK) »
Dallas Jamieson Sr. is my great grandfather, the spelling of the name apparently changed when he arrived in the US. From what I was told, he arrived & worked at an orchard located in Northampton, Massachusetts USA & later settled in Milton. I believe his sister Agnes originally moved here with him, but she went back to Scotland or Bushmills. Dallas married Margaret Davenport. He & his wife are buried in Mt Wollaston cemetery in Quincy, Massachusetts. His son Dallas Andrew served in the 82nd airborne during WW2, survived all the battles of France, however was KIA in Operation Market Garden in Holland. Also had a son Samuel, Charles - also served in the Army in WW2, George Sr (my grandfather), & a daughter Agnes (Nightingale) and daughter Charlotte (Roberts).  I can tell you there are many Jamieson descendants here in the United States.

Best regards,
Eric Dallas Jamieson

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 26 January 16 08:29 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat. The original poster hasn't been online for a while and never made more than that one post but there's still a chance they might see your reply and respond. Since this thread started in 2007 lots of new resources have come online so more information will be easier to find so do let us know if we can help you.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline sydneym45

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 02 May 16 04:29 BST (UK) »
Dallas Jamieson Sr. is my great grandfather, the spelling of the name apparently changed when he arrived in the US. From what I was told, he arrived & worked at an orchard located in Northampton, Massachusetts USA & later settled in Milton. I believe his sister Agnes originally moved here with him, but she went back to Scotland or Bushmills. Dallas married Margaret Davenport. He & his wife are buried in Mt Wollaston cemetery in Quincy, Massachusetts. His son Dallas Andrew served in the 82nd airborne during WW2, survived all the battles of France, however was KIA in Operation Market Garden in Holland. Also had a son Samuel, Charles - also served in the Army in WW2, George Sr (my grandfather), & a daughter Agnes (Nightingale) and daughter Charlotte (Roberts).  I can tell you there are many Jamieson descendants here in the United States.

Best regards,
Eric Dallas Jamieson
There are many of us indeed, though our names have changed! We still have the book given to us by England in honour of Uncle Dallas's brave actions in WWII. And I still keep a two dollar bill in my wallet, as Charlotte would always give me one when I visited.